Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05 ssr starts great will run for 4 seconds plus or minus then shuts down. Error code p0601

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Possible fuse box, but usually runs longer and sets a different code, or possible ignition switch, bad ground, faulty ECM or could simply be a blown fuse.
Check the following fuses using a test light or voltmeter connected to a good ground and the ignition in the on or run position.
Under hood fuse box #23,27,31 and 34. Rear fuse box 47.
If any had voltage or test light on only one side, fuse is blown = replace fuse retest
If if fuses #23,31 or 47 have low or no voltage (dim or no test light) faulty ignition switch or wiring
If fuse 34 low or no voltage both sides suspect fuse box or relay 42
If 27 low or no voltage on both sides
Test ALL remaining fuses in both fuse boxes with the key on and report any that do not have voltage on either side --- some dead fuse circuits will be normal.

I have attached a chart with the fuses and the circuit they receive power from. Problems with the yellow highlighted ones indicate a ignition switch malfunction and the green ones indicate a faulty relay 42 or fuse box.

OR If you don't have access to a voltmeter or test light and just want to try some new parts at it until you fix it or can only test fuses by looking at them
l would check the fuses shown and if all appear ok The first new part I would install would be an ignition switch.

Attachments

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
5,855 Posts
How long does it take for you to refire the truck? Does it run for 4, shut off, then run again for 4 or so over and over? To troubleshoot properly, you might need 2 people, one to start the truck and the other to watch the voltmeter at the exact time it happens if the truck has power again soon after shutting down.

Autoprof has some good ideas, I agree about the ignition switch, always a good starting point if original. He is correct that it is odd to have it shut down that quickly but I have ran across this error code, and others, when repairing fuse boxes. Could be the crack is just enough to get things going but not good enough to keep them going. There are quite a few of us here that repair them, I do it for $20 plus return shipping, same or next day turn around.

If you are careful with a drill and have some 20 gauge copper wire it is a pretty quick and easy fix, Dick (Dictator) has some how to instructions in his tech library. Might be a video out there somewhere as well, here is a link to most of his repair guides in an easy to read list - http://chevyssr.club/wp/diagnosis-and-repair-guides/dick-belview-dicktator-direct-link-repair-guides/

👉 Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others
Electronic Repairs - Speedometer, brake, door latch, fuse box, stereo, etc
Custom Billet Accessories - Shift adapter, letters, satin/polished, etc

·
SSR Overseas, Ireland,
327 Posts
Quick google check and error code PO601 is defined as internal Control Module MemoryCheck sum Error
The internal serial communication has failed at least 6 times

Hope that helps
Richard

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Quick google check and error code PO601 is defined as internal Control Module MemoryCheck sum Error
The internal serial communication has failed at least 6 times

Hope that helps
Richard
True, but i believe the 6 times may be different for different manufacturers.

However a lack of proper power or ground to the ECM can also cause this.
The ECM recieves a 12v power supply from numerous circuits of the igntion switch and relay 42.
It wants to see power at all the different ignition switch positions to determine what modules need to be awake and it also needs a constant power source. Thus the multiple fuses for one component. Replacing ECM is common misdiagnosis, as the real problem is lack of proper power supply or good ground.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks very much for the good advice. After my post I replaced the ignition switch nothing changed. While working on the switch I noticed the steering lock actuator was hot. Just for curiousity I connected my mutilmeter to a good ground and to the metal jacket of the steering lock and read .3 volts current flow to ground. ???

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
What you describe is normal if key is in acc, run or start position and transmission is in park -- the lock cylinder actuator is provided current to retract a pin against a spring. The action of this actuator will allow you to turn lock cylinder (and ignition switch) to off position. It is this pin and actuator operation that prevents you from removing key unless truck is in park or when there is a loss of power to that circuit! The current is shut off when ignition switch is shut off or shifter is moved out of park. The actuator will then take awhile to cool down.

Remember current flows from the power source (positive side) to the load AND back to the power source (ground side). The electrons keep moving (current ) they use their energy (voltage) and IT decreases!

·
Tech Support/Research
1,484 Posts
When this happens, does the Security light in the instrument cluster (looks like a padlock) come on and stay on after a few seconds? Does it flash or remain steady? Do you have to wait a few minutes before trying to restart the truck after it stalls? If so, there is an issue related to the theft deterrent system, which will disable the fuel injectors if the wrong key is used to start the vehicle or if there is a communications issue among electrical components such as the ignition lock cylinder, BCM, PCM, or sensors.

A P0601 code is related to the PCM. So if the Security light does not come on when trying to start the truck, it would likely rule out the theft deterrent system, but check for that Security (padlock) light.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How long does it take for you to refire the truck? Does it run for 4, shut off, then run again for 4 or so over and over? To troubleshoot properly, you might need 2 people, one to start the truck and the other to watch the voltmeter at the exact time it happens if the truck has power again soon after shutting down.

Autoprof has some good ideas, I agree about the ignition switch, always a good starting point if original. He is correct that it is odd to have it shut down that quickly but I have ran across this error code, and others, when repairing fuse boxes. Could be the crack is just enough to get things going but not good enough to keep them going. There are quite a few of us here that repair them, I do it for $20 plus return shipping, same or next day turn around.

If you are careful with a drill and have some 20 gauge copper wire it is a pretty quick and easy fix, Dick (Dictator) has some how to instructions in his tech library. Might be a video out there somewhere as well, here is a link to most of his repair guides in an easy to read list - http://chevyssr.club/wp/diagnosis-and-repair-guides/dick-belview-dicktator-direct-link-repair-guides/

👉 Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others
Electronic Repairs - Speedometer, brake, door latch, fuse box, stereo, etc
Custom Billet Accessories - Shift adapter, letters, satin/polished, etc
About 15 minutes for to run about 2-5 minutes

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Is this the same SSR, the names have changed?
Or was this to protect the innocent?

Either way, after clearing the trouble codes, does the P0601 reset after it stalls and wont restart. Does the check engine light come on before or after it stalls.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is this the same SSR, the names have changed?
Or was this to protect the innocent?

Either way, after clearing the trouble codes, does the P0601 reset after it stalls and wont restart. Does the check engine light come on before or after it stalls.
Before, same person

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks again everyone for your advice and help. I followed Autoprof's advice and check all fuses which seem to be functioning correctly. Right now, the truck will start up immediatly....run for about 3 seconds....then it stalls. I have to wait 3-4 minutes and it will repeat. However, on the 3rd or 4th start, the truck will run normally and not stall. On any subsequent starts, it's back to start-and-stall. The key will not release from the switch. The security light on the cluster comes on and goes off as soon as it starts. After I clear the P0601 code and check engine light, it comes back as soon as I switch to the on position. Any further help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated before I give the dealer all my money. Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts