Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Thanks again everyone for your advice and help. I followed Autoprof's advice and check all fuses which seem to be functioning correctly.

The key will not release from the switch.

After I clear the P0601 code and check engine light, it comes back as soon as I switch to the on position. Any further help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated before I give the dealer all my money. Thanks in advance.
Did you use a voltmeter connected to a good ground to check fuses as I recommended to BOTH fuse boxes?

"The key will not release from the switch"
Is this new? you never mentioned it.

Did you also check grounds? Especially the body grounds for ECM as Dicktator showed and the ones on the battery cable?

·
BAD BOW TIE
8,988 Posts
Just a guess but with all the playing around it sounds like the battery is about dead. Clues are when you said a few things.
1. Key won't come out of ignition.
2. Some times doesn't start. It takes over 13 volts to start.
3. Could be anti- theft device setting.
4. Sometimes if you unhook battery for about an hour all the computers will reset themselves and fix itself.

That is all I have for now. Work closely with AutoProf as he is an electrical GURU. If you fix it or it fixes itself let us know.

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Dicktator is correct
OR just check your roof operation -- the same fuse (rear fuse #47) that operates the solenoid to release the key (which by the way IS NOT computer controlled) also operates the low current side of the roof pump relays and supplies power to the hydraulic valves. This also supplies power to the ECM and I am not sure but could cause a P0601 as IT IS a power supply to ECM as mentioned earlier.

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Sorry you've lost me!
It seems like the code is resetting!!!!!!
What about answering my questions in post #21

Did you use a voltmeter connected to a good ground to check fuses as I recommended to BOTH fuse boxes?

"The key will not release from the switch"
Is this new? you never mentioned it.

Did you also check grounds? Especially the body grounds for ECM as Dicktator showed and the ones on the battery cable?

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
5,855 Posts
This really seems like a fuse box issue, I have ran into this code before and it was a slightly cracked wire. Did Dick replace the wire anyway before returning?

Agree with previous notes as well, load check the battery, a simple voltmeter is NOT going to properly test the system. You can have 12 or 14 volts and not have enough amps required for proper operation.

Does the key come out of the switch at all? If it is stuck in there and happened after you swapped out the ignition switch then the switch is not keyed correctly and needs to be pulled out and put in properly.

You can clear the code but it returns as soon as the truck is started again?

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Edit to my previous thought.
You need check fuse #47 as mentioned with key in accessory, not run as i previously. With the key in accessory and trans in park the key solenoid should be drawing current so you can rotate lock cylinder to off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
As you previously recommended, I checked all fuses and all were good. However, when I replaced the ignition switch, I blew fuse #47. When I replaced that fuse, the key released properly from the switch. But start/stall problem still exists. Code still the same. Check engine light and reduced power light are on. To my great surprise, on one start, the engine fired up and did not stall out. All warning lights were off! I thought the truck had fixed itself. However, the next morning, it went back to start/stall !?!?! My best guess now is the fuse box or PCM???? Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
As you previously recommended, I checked all fuses and all were good. However, when I replaced the ignition switch, I blew fuse #47. When I replaced that fuse, the key released properly from the switch. But start/stall problem still exists. Code still the same. Check engine light and reduced power light are on. To my great surprise, on one start, the engine fired up and did not stall out. All warning lights were off! I thought the truck had fixed itself. However, the next morning, it went back to start/stall !?!?! My best guess now is the fuse box or PCM???? Thanks for your help.
Great job, now we are moving forward

fuse box or PCM?

Connect the alligator clip of a test light to a good ground, place the other side to the big fuse in the front of underhood fuse box. The test light should light indicating a good ground and a good test light.
Then try to place the test light probe on one of the following fuses in a position you can see while trying to start the SSR or better yet, draft a helper to attempt to start car and you hold test light.
Use any of the following underhood fuses 28,29, 33, 34, 35 or 36. With the key in the on position these fuses should have a nice bright test light on both sides of the fuses. Pick one side of one fuse -- then while holding the test light on the fuse, attempt to start engine -- if test light goes out a brief second before the engine stalls suspect relay 42 or fuse box.
If test light remains bright - suspect ECM -- I would double check all power and grounds to ECM using test light or similar (you WANT to load the power and ground circuits!) before purchasing a new ECM. You might check with Jeremy? @ PCMs For Less (the guy in FLA that tunes SSRs) to see if he can program a used ECM for your SSR. Then ask him what year, make, model and engine size you could purchase a ECM from that would function.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts