Chevy SSR Forum banner

Help with top latch

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  nj6969 
#1 ·
Top latch is up and will not activate when attempting to lower. Anyone with a solution as to the problem? Thanks until better paid.

#2 ·
I have to assume that the roof is fully up and latched.

When you press the button to lower the roof, the first thing that is supposed to happen is that the system will roll the windows down..... Is this happening? After the windows go down, the next step is to have the pump begin to run and the tonneau cover (roof storage compartment cover) will unlatch with two “snaps”...... Does this happen?

Mike

#3 ·
not certain as of this writing. will do a further check and get back to you. thanks for taking the time. it all has to do with an 06 i am trying to buy. owner is having trouble with the top and his local chevrolet dealer has no ideal as to a solution.

#4 ·
.......... owner is having trouble with the top and his local chevrolet dealer has no ideal as to a solution.
Why am I not surprised that the dealership is clueless.....??? Very few dealerships have any mechanics still employed that were trained 15 years ago, let alone one that has kept proficient.....

The top operational sequence has a very strict set of steps that must happen in order. It is not difficult to troubleshoot if you have good information from the person who is trying to operate the top. The person with the button under his (her) fingertip MUST use their senses to know what has operated and EXACTLY when the system stops.

Let me know the observations and the stop point......

It’s really beneficial to the rest of the SSR family to do this in writing, so that it is shared......... But if you need to contact me directly, you can get me by cell phone at 480-225-2123.

Regards,

Mike

#6 ·
Roof functions properly down to the point that it will not unlatch....windows come down, roof tonneau cover opens fully, tonneau cover extension extends fully. The point of failure is a Roof cycle timeout message eventually. Pump is running and all voltages are good for extend and retract. ???????

#8 ·
The "Outer Latch Actuator" is not operating.
It is operated directly by the Roof Door Module.
Possible Failure Causes:
1. OLR Electrical Connector is defective
2. OLR motor is defective
3. OLR was damaged by incorrect use of the roof tool
(Gear assembly retaining clip plastic tabs broken)

Go to the HOW-TO-LIBRARY and read Outer (Latch) Actuator Repair.

Operate the roof down to the point where it stops
Use the roof tool to unlatch the OLR
Operate the top to the fully down position
(If this works the, OLR is defective)

Operate the roof to the closed position
It will stop after failing to latch the OLR
Use the roof tool to latch the OLR
Continue to the roof closed position.

Remove the OLR and inspect/test

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the OLR info. I've passed it along to the Chevy dealer in Joplin MO who instead was wanting to replace the RDM.

It's been at the dealer for 5 going on 6 weeks. Originally, the top hydraulic pump was removed and sent to Oregon for refurbishment. My SSR has less than 1600 miles on it and the top hasn't been operated much (my fault). I would rather that it go to a home where it will be enjoyed and admired like it was intended. Thanks again,
Todd

#10 ·
I have an update from the dealer. They say that they can operate the top fully from their 'tool' (computer?). The top will unlatch and operate fully when connected to their computer. The truck however will not unlatch the top from the header using the button inside the cab. Therefore, they don't think the problem is with the OLR, but the RDM. Does anyone agree?

#13 · (Edited)
Ed, thank you for pointing them to the Cover Extension. Where does one locate a part like they're recommending?

I just received this update from the Chevy service department:

We were able to track the signal loss to the r.h. tonneau actuator harness. (part # 89044555) - from me: but this part number is for one of the 8 cylinders (right stowage cover extension cylinder), not a harness
voltages are present but change when actuator moves,
but they are out of specified range at the extend switch.
Part is discontinued thru G.M.
We are trying to locate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.