Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past two months have been very dry and hot here in Wisconsin. Yesterday it rained about 2/3 -3/4 of an inch over the period of about an hour. We needed it for the crops.
Today I woke up and heard it thundering again, figuring, alright it'll rain for maybe an hour and be hot and humid for the rest of the day. Then heard on the radio that we would have severe thunderstorms with high winds until at least 1 o'clock in the afternoon. Still not to worried (the SSR is sitting outside). Then at 9 o'clock The wife gets a call from her dad (who drives semi for a local company) that it is raining hard with high winds and carrying large hail heading this way from a town about 14 miles west of us. The way the storm is traveling I figure I had about 7 minutes to get the garage rearranged (cleaned up) to fit the 55 chevy, all it's parts, the kid's bicycles and my SSR in the shop. As I went out to do this, the daughter comes out in the shop with the Dogs' leashes wanting me to stop what I was doing to let the dogs in the house first. Of coarse she was either standing in the way or right under foot. I told her nicely that if she was going to be out here she can help me rearrange the shop so we can get the SSR in here before it hails, then we'll worry about the dogs. With her help we did get everything inside and out of the storm just as the hard rains started coming down. Still had to run up to the Dogs' kennal (50 yards off) to get them and bring them in the house (another 20 yards). I ran for the kennal and the daughter ran for the house to catch the door for us once we got there. Made it before the hail started, but had to find towels to dry off with.

Nothing like a hard outdoor shower in the morning to wake up with.

Enjoy the rest of the day.

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
FUZZY said:
The past two months

Made it before the hail started, but had to find towels to dry off with.

Nothing like a hard outdoor shower in the morning to wake up with.

Enjoy the rest of the day.
Wow - sounds like a close call. Good thing you two didn't get your heads busted up by the hail as well.

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,147 Posts
You are lucky. Several weeks ago there was a hailstorm that hit near Daytona. A buddy of mine has a new Chrysler 300 that got caught in it. He said they counted close to 800 ping marks. The car looked like the surface of a golf ball. The repair shop popped most of them out perfectly. He was going back for touch ups on a few that weren't 100%.

·
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep

I don't mind the rain, it's the other four letter word that I cringe when I here it. I've repaired many many vehicles with hails damage and it's not fun. S o when I here that four letter word I try to find what ever I'm driving some kind of cover.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Eurythmics

Here comes the rain again
Falling on my head like a memory
Falling on my head like a new emotion
I want to walk in the open wind
I want to talk like lovers do
I want to dive into your ocean
Is it raining with you

So baby talk to me
Like lovers do
Walk with me
Like lovers do
Talk to me
Like lovers do

Raining in my head like a tragedy
Tearing me apart like a new emotion
Oooooh
I want to breathe in the open wind
I want to kiss like lovers do
I want to dive into your ocean
Is it raining with you

So baby talk to me
Like lovers do

Falling on my head like a memory
Falling on my head like a new emotion
(here it comes again, here it comes again)
I want to walk in the open wind
I want to talk like lovers do
I want dive into your ocean
Is it raining with you

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Ya know, that "HAIL" word is the very one thing that worries me the most on this road trip, but right now, things are so beautiful up here in Nova Scotia. What an amazingly beautiful place.

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
looking for cover

FUZZY said:
I don't mind the rain, it's the other four letter word that I cringe when I here it. I've repaired many many vehicles with hails damage and it's not fun. S o when I here that four letter word I try to find what ever I'm driving some kind of cover.
Major rain and hail the last 2 days in this area but managed to stay out of it. Don't have a garage that I can pull the baby into since I converted it to a studio. Have a contractor coming out next week to make a bid on a new garage! Just thinking "HAIL" is nervewracking :seeya

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
What Else!!!

With my head full of potential SSR foibles as I start my jouney from St.Louis to
California with my new SSR , now you've given something else to worry about. MidWest weather! Hail in particular. Oh bother!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think your biggest problem will be the heat, keep the AC on and hope you can get here to the central coast of CA it is just about perfect,high of 72 today.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
72 degrees!

Where I'm from (Redding) it doesn't even get that "cool" at nite. 112 when I left so I'm used to the heat but I've heard about what hail does to cars.

·
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another close call

Went to the car cruise and car show in Marshfield, WI Friday night and Saturday. The cruise was great, met up with Thefalguy and DanRick as well as another owner from the Marshfield area. Dave (thefalguy) and I arrived just in time for the cruise (were having a few burgers and brews) which led us on a road trip out of town and through the countryside. In all it was about a 40 mile trip which took about an hour. This could be a beautiful fall drive when the leaves change colors.

Anyway on to Saturday. I woke up and turned on the weather, which looked promising until late in the day. Weather showed a 40% chance of rain (no big deal). Well DAve and I were at the show along with my cousin from the Wausau area with his 69 Dodge Charger (gorgeous vehicle). It was an overcat morning with high clouds , which in Wisconsin says it aint gonna rain. Every once in a while we would see a low cloud, but it would blow past rather quickly. Then about 1 O'clock the show folks announced that there was rain on the way with the dreaded four letter word H.A.I.L. . Pretty much everyone with a vehicle ran for there rides and battened down the hatches. I raised my roof and windows, and packed the toy SSR away. Dave decided he would make a run for home to tuck his away in the garage. Since I was parked near a fuel station that had a cover over the pumping area, I backed the SSR up to one of the pumps and put some fuel in. My cousin and a few others quickly followed suit by pulling into the pumping area. Jst as they were to enter the covered are the rain let loose, and boy did it ever. High winds lots of rain, but luckily no hail, at least that I saw. I ran indoors to pay for the fuel and use the restrooms before we left. when I was about to leave the staion I overheard the attendant and some other folks that ran for cover in the staion say that we were realy lucky, there was a Tornado that had just past over us and was currently spotted east of town. whhheeeewww. We let the rain slow down a little before driving off, buton our way out of town we found some of the roads were flooding. So much rain in a short period of time it had no where to go.

As we were heading out of town, Dave had called and said he didn't make it all the way home before it started raing hard. He told me he could barely see out the windshield with the wipers on high.

All is well with the SSR's. No one had any damage, just a little road dirt and water. Just makes my job harder for Sunday. I have another show to attend in Loves Park, Il. I'll have to get up really early and clean the SSR so it can be beautiful for the show.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts