Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed on my drive to town this a.m. that the tranny temp gauge is sitting at the far left position. Flicked it a couple times with my finger nail and it jumped a bit but didn't go anywhere. With all the potential overheating problems I don't want to be without this gauge...so, back to the shop again. Other two gauges are working fine, especially the "all important" gallons per hour :lol

·
Registered
579 Posts
Good Luck Sis

Good Luck Sis!

If you can, pick it up early enough so that you can do a test drive to make sure that it is repaired. If it is not, then at least you won't have to make a special trip to bring it back. :thumbs

:seeya E :seeya

Orange SSR :ssr

·
TROUBLE MAKER
568 Posts
Do you actually look at them???

artsmart said:
Noticed on my drive to town this a.m. that the tranny temp gauge is sitting at the far left position. Flicked it a couple times with my finger nail and it jumped a bit but didn't go anywhere. With all the potential overheating problems I don't want to be without this gauge...so, back to the shop again. Other two gauges are working fine, especially the "all important" gallons per hour :lol
I thought they were just for looks!!! :lol
If they are that important, why would you have them as an option??? A lot of SSR's don't even have them!!!
And since they are installed by the dealer at a later time, you can see why they don't work, just look at how the dealer rotated crusined's tires!!! :lol

·
Registered
164 Posts
Me Too...

ARTSMART... does this happen every time you turn the beast on now? I have noticed that happening to me once ... After driving around and making several stops, warm day, AC going, I noticed that the Transmission Temp gauge was apparently not working as it was pegged to the left. Since I do not always check the gauges when I turn the engine on, I don't know whether the gauge went through it's proper diagnostic (sweeps all the way to the right and back to the left when turned on) or not. However, I did watch it the next day and it was normal... Has not done that since... it's been 3 weeks now and have not noticed this again... the gremlins are there somewhere. It's kind of scary that some of these things seem to happen and then mysteriously disappear. Would like to know if your dealer finds anything really wrong. Since I can't seem to duplicate this, don't know how to get the dealer to fix it. :confused :eek

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
I see this with my transmission temperature guage too, even after having the guage cluster replaced because I reported the problem to my dealer.

I now believe this may be the transmission temperature SENSOR acting up, not the guage! I don't know how to test this theory without getting the dealer to replace the sensor.

BY the way, the guage IS accurate when working. Reese at MTI Racing checked mine for me using a diagnostic unit, and it was spot on.

Jim G

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, Bro

ECurtis said:
Good Luck Sis!

If you can, pick it up early enough so that you can do a test drive to make sure that it is repaired. If it is not, then at least you won't have to make a special trip to bring it back. :thumbs

:seeya E :seeya

Orange SSR :ssr
Thanks and will do. Saw your and Brandy's buddy at Victor Kelley alarms yesterday. Wanted him to do some vinyl lettering for me at Greg's (Precision Window Tint) suggestion but he has some broken ribs. Talked to him a bit about you guys and the remote control top plus Brandy's radio/stereo replacement...boy, what a job! Will get back to him in a couple of weeks to see if the pain is any less.

And yeah, I do look at that tranny temp gauge whenever I think about it so don't know how long it has not been working. The other two do the right hand swing just fine but not that one...no movement whatsoever!

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
If the guage is not doing the "sweep" when you turn on the ignition power, it has died OR its power connection internally has failed (one power connection powers the entire guage cluster).

Either way, the entire cluster needs to be replaced.

The cluster is apparently remarkably easy to short during installation (a Chevy service advisor told me this), so this is not a rare problem. You should get no hassle on getting it replaced.

IF the guage sweeps fine on vehicle startup, but does not show rising temperature as the transmission heats up, or shows running temperature sometimes but not always, I suspect the transmission temperature sensor migt be intermittent in its output. I THINK this is what mine is doing.

Jim G

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Local dealer just called to follow-up on the last visit to the service bay...told them about the new problem. Not their fault, I don't think, although the last issue was a poor connection that followed a fan replacement so maybe it IS all connected somehow. Not going to be able to take it in for a few days but will soon. Will expect the whole cluster to be replaced...thanks for the info Jim G. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts