Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HHR: Not yet launched, but causing a stir

03:53 PM CDT on Monday, June 6, 2005

Chevrolet's new HHR crossover vehicle isn't even available yet, but Unique Performance in Farmers Branch already knows every screw and bolt in it - and removed many of them.

Unique is one of four specialty car shops nationwide that was invited by General Motors to participate in a televised "build-off" of the new HHR — with each putting its own special custom touches and modifications to the HHR. The company is best known for its high-profile Eleanor Mustangs — heavily modified 1967-68 cars inspired by the movie Gone in 60 Seconds.

All four HHRs will be unveiled to GM engineers and designers in California on June 22 and will be part of the August national launch of the HHR, which resembles a shrunken early '50s Chevy Suburban.

The work — and this month's reveal in California — is being videotaped by the Discovery Channel's Rides cable-TV show, which will ask its viewers to determine which of the four is the best.

"It's been crazy," said Doug Hasty, president and chief executive officer of Unique Performance. "We hit every aspect of this vehicle, stripped it down to the bare bones. I had no idea they had so much content in a little vehicle like that."

With two weeks left, the Unique Performance HHR awaits wiring and an interior, he said.

General Motors came up with the idea for the "build-off" to create some buzz about the HHR, a four-cylinder, five-door crossover built on the new compact Chevy Cobalt platform. A well-equipped HHR - which stands for "heritage high roof" -- is expected to cost less than $20,000 and may draw lots of young buyers eager to customize it, company officials say. GM hopes to sell 100,000 of the vehicles a year.

"They delivered a new HHR to us last month," Mr. Hasty said. "At the end, when it's over, they will throw us the keys to a 2005 Chevy SSR, which ought to make a pretty nice shop truck."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/060605dnbushhr.2eadbddc5.html

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I really should read the paper more, but then I wouldn't have all this time to read this site:)

This sounds exciting! Can't wait to see what they do to them. SHOP SSR???? Wonder what they will do to it???

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since the HHR's will be in SoCal in late June - I extended an offer for the HHR's to 'stop by' the Irwindale SSR event!
:thumbs

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Looks cool, but I'll wait for the V6 or Supercharge version....:flag

RickSSR :cool

·
West Coast Pit Crew
10,185 Posts
When will GM Learn

It seems that when GM is rushed they come out with a one of kind product, the SSR. :thumbs They take their time and come out with a look-a-like HHR :rolleyes:
Don't think thats going to spark sales. :(

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
HD-Fatboy said:
That once they start having them on the street more and more, people will start saying hey, I didn't know they made a two seater HHR. :eek

Anyone care to bet me on this one.
You are probably right on that one.

But then why are we paying twice as much for two seats as we are for four?????

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,611 Posts
HHR vs. SSR... no contest!

dingbat said:
You are probably right on that one.

But then why are we paying twice as much for two seats as we are for four?????
Well maybe to some of us early birds it is was more like 2 1/2 times the price of a HHR... :lol I like it for the market segment that it is going to be in. $15,900 base will get a lot of people looking at it for sure! :thumbs

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I do like the version that "Unique Autosports" did. It should be coming up on a show called "Unique Whips" soon. :jester

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine's being Built

Finalized the deal for my HHR yesterday - I guess the order went in last week - but I have in my hands the paperwork...

Attachments

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BURBANK, CA 06/22/2005 – Chevy unveiled four customized HHR's after a competition between four of the finest custom shops from across America.

Each of the builders was given eight weeks to create their ultimate version of the new HHR...

Thanks to HHR club for the info...

Darkside and Teazer HHR's:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I especially love the one from unique! Truly a tasteful and "Unique" paint job. That green pin really sets it off perfect. :thumbs

·
Registered
189 Posts
The unique version get my :thumbs :thumbs Award as well!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts