Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and looked at the HHR up close today for a delivery vehicle for my business. I could not believe the quality of the paint job. Why could they not have produced the SSR so cleanly. Its a shame. Had the SSR been priced about 10 grand less with the larger engine in the first place, I wonder if GM would have met their goals. I guess hind sight is always 20/20.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Fishslayr1 said:
I went and looked at the HHR up close today for a delivery vehicle for my business. I could not believe the quality of the paint job. Why could they not have produced the SSR so cleanly. Its a shame. Had the SSR been priced about 10 grand less with the larger engine in the first place, I wonder if GM would have met their goals. I guess hind sight is always 20/20.
Bought an HHR back in August (black of course). Had to have some spots touched up twice. Even found finger prints in the paint from the factory paint job in Mexico and also in a different spot the second time by the dealers off site paint shop.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Colorodo said:
I have seen concerns regarding the paint of the HHR at www.hhrclub.org.
Yep I'm a member there also. I'm known as Black Glaze. I haven't been there for a while since I've been consumed with the SSR and since I've purchased an 06 Black SSR 3SS. An yes I still have my HHR.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I would think seriously about buying an HHR except for the fact it's front wheel drive. I hate front wheel drive. Maybe the new ones aren't plagued with the problems I had, but I wonder how many other people feel like I do? I wonder if FWD has hurt sales any? Probably most people don't care because they buy on looks and emotion, and don't keep the vehicle long enough to start having CV joint problems, goofy tire wear and premature brake trouble.

It's a neat looker, though, as well as a practical little hauler. :thumbs

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Peaches said:
I would think seriously about buying an HHR except for the fact it's front wheel drive. I hate front wheel drive. Maybe the new ones aren't plagued with the problems I had, but I wonder how many other people feel like I do? I wonder if FWD has hurt sales any? Probably most people don't care because they buy on looks and emotion, and don't keep the vehicle long enough to start having CV joint problems, goofy tire wear and premature brake trouble.

It's a neat looker, though, as well as a practical little hauler. :thumbs
I'm not sure about other cars but I just gave my son my 1985 Pontiac 6000 front wheel drive. I got it when my mother passed 10 yrs ago and she got it from my grandmother who was 83 when she gave it to my mother. Grandmothers third husband worked and retired from Pontiac up in Mi. When I gave it to my son it was still running pretty good just had about 50,000 miles. Yes 50,000 miles original no roll over and great in the snow. Just had rust spots here and there.

·
Registered
349 Posts
SS My R said:
I'm not sure about other cars but I just gave my son my 1985 Pontiac 6000 front wheel drive. I got it when my mother passed 10 yrs ago and she got it from my grandmother who was 83 when she gave it to my mother. Grandmothers third husband worked and retired from Pontiac up in Mi. When I gave it to my son it was still running pretty good just had about 50,000 miles. Yes 50,000 miles original no roll over and great in the snow. Just had rust spots here and there.
Nice! I was basing my comments on 2 of my 3 Dodge Caravans, a Toyota Tercel, my dad's Dodge Aries and a minivan, and my mother-in-law's Chevy Citation - all with bad CV joints and/or front wheel bearings, all with less than 35,000 miles (at the first occurance). The Tercel was a true POS - 3 bad CV joints and both front axle segments bad. So far, no trouble with my wife's Lexus RX-300 with 42,000 miles. They probably have made major improvements since these vehicles were sold. :yesnod

BTW - I've learned my lesson - I buy American whenever possible now. :thumbs

·
Registered
97 Posts
hhr

My wife bought an HHR 3 months ago and now has 11,000 miles on it with know problems other than she wants me to clean it up more than here old tahoe. It is a fun car, 31 mpg with a 5spd, and she tried it out yesterday in the snow and it did great with factory tires. She drive 90 miles a day to work- so she wont be driving the SSR much.

·
Premium Member
31,270 Posts
No wonder!!

Peaches said:
Nice! I was basing my comments on 2 of my 3 Dodge Caravans, a Toyota Tercel, my dad's Dodge Aries and a minivan, and my mother-in-law's Chevy Citation - all with bad CV joints and/or front wheel bearings, all with less than 35,000 miles (at the first occurance). The Tercel was a true POS - 3 bad CV joints and both front axle segments bad. So far, no trouble with my wife's Lexus RX-300 with 42,000 miles. They probably have made major improvements since these vehicles were sold. :yesnod

BTW - I've learned my lesson - I buy American whenever possible now. :thumbs
Everyone I know that had chrysler products throughout the 80's and into the 90's always had problems with them. From frequent wheel bearing failures, clutch failures, head gasket blowouts, fried auto transmissions... etc. They were horrible products! My friend with an '86 Dodge Charger (fwd Omni fast back in disguise) couldn't go more than a year without replacing the bearings and/or clutch in that car. Even blew out one of the rear shock towers from a rough road trip (I-80 in PA in the late '80s was almost completely destroyed by heavy truck traffic from NY).

As far as the Citation... well, the GM X-body stuff was truly crap (we once had a '82 Buick Skylark). Engine pinged like hell all the time. Brake rotors warped as frequently as the weather changed.

But FWD cars can and do hold up for considerable length of time. I had a '93 Olds Cutlass that until it was smashed by a truck was still running strong (no CV joint problems at all either) at just under 10 yrs old. I had over 135K on it, and aside from problems with the rear disc brakes (common on the 1st gen W-body), caused me very little trouble.

And as far as sales... so many people today are afraid of rear wheel drive! I know my step-father is, so they will automatically shy away from any car or truck that's RWD. Look at why the majority of the SUVs out there are 4WD or AWD, regardless that it's either unnecessary, or completely pointless on many of those vehicles. Now, an all-wheel-drive HHR with the same supercharged engine from the Cobalt SS... that would be interesting. :thumbs

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Question for the folks that own a HHR.Do you think it would make a good "teen-agers" car? Mine wants to make a deal with me to buy him one.

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,595 Posts
A Good Deal

KySSR said:
Question for the folks that own a HHR.Do you think it would make a good "teen-agers" car? Mine wants to make a deal with me to buy him one.
I think it would be a great vehicle for a teen... There are so many things they can do to dress up the HHR!

BTW: What kind of deal is wanting to make with you? :skep :lol

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Marc NY said:
I think it would be a great vehicle for a teen... There are so many things they can do to dress up the HHR!

BTW: What kind of deal is wanting to make with you? :skep :lol

He wants to pay for a 1/3rd of it and I pay the rest......some deal huh??? :skep

He hasn't thought about insurance yet...

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
My sons like the HHR!!! But they are 8 and 10. Daughter didn't like it so much!!! I think it would be a great Teen Ride!

·
Registered
97 Posts
teen ride

I think the HHR would be a good choice for a teen, they are not an over powered car-but have enough to get the job done (we have a 2.4L w/5spd), good mpg, alot of room to move out of the house when the time comes :glol . be shure to get the side air bags.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Fishslayr1 said:
What? Mine is like any other GM paint job -great. Its beautiful.

A shame? $10,000 less? Im glad (not for the workers) that the SSR will be limited to about, as is looks now, about 35,000 or so total. It makes it unique. They will be far and few between. The HHR on the other hand, although stylish, will be as run-of-the-mill as the PT Cruiser. Every other car I see on the road today is a Cruiser. How many of those things have been made? A million? 2? Hell I dont know but they are everywhere.

And yes, I did not buy the 03 or 04 SSR as you stated for the reason that the 5.3 was a bit of (well alot of) a dog. The 2005 with the LS2? ........thats why I paid cash for one. I remember saying to my wife when it came out "Its about time they put a real engine in those".

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,595 Posts
No dog... to me

kk7ac said:
... And yes, I did not buy the 03 or 04 SSR as you stated for the reason that the 5.3 was a bit of (well alot of) a dog.
Ah you might think it is a dog... but I have driven a 05 and to me it wasn't that much quicker. I love my 04 and I am one that doesn't feel I need to be faster in the quarter mile thus I didn't buy it because it was a speedster.

Yes, I would buy an 05 or 06 but don't think that us 03 & 04 owners are unhappy with our great rides because we aren't!

my .02

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
SS My R said:
The HHR is a great vehicle for a teen or young adult.

I was afraid it would be a good car for a teen.I do like the thought of having room to haul stuff when they move out :thumbs

·
Registered
98 Posts
No, I'm not saying anyone is unhappy with their SSR regardless of model year. I just know that the 03-04 was a bit of a pooch after test driving one (2004) and ALL OF THE REVIEWS in the car and truck mags said so as well. Great on style but short in performance was the bottom line. period. Too heavy for a stock 5.3 to push. I know the 5.3 in my wife's old 2000 GMC sierra 1/2 ton was a bit of a dog too. Disappointed I must say in comparision to the older 5.7 Vortec counterparts. Its still true today; the Dodge and the Ford can whoop ass on the Chevy pick-ups all day with a 5.3. Its sad but true.

Again, the reason I bought the 05 was they put the LS2 Corvette engine in. It was like the lights in Mecca turned on once they said the 6.0 would be in the 05's. Bout' time! Now I have the head-turning style and the gumtion to move if I want to. Plus I can, and have done some, of any and all the mods that you can do with the 5.3 or any Chevrolet engine made since 1955.........all with a 100 horsepower head start!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts