Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been comparing prices up here for 2006 SSR's. (Looking for a jammed Pacific Blue 6 speed). Fully optioned units list around $53k in U.S. dollars. Comprable U.S. units list for around $47k. Up to 6k difference for the same truck. Best cash deal on a new unit from a dealer up here is around $49k U.S. I see U.S. dealers selling for a lot less. Does anyone (maybe one of the member dealers) know why there is such a price differential? I realize we have a lot less inventory to choose from, but the units we do have up here are not moving regardless. I am seroiusly considering buying a U.S. unit (has to be previously titled to qualify) but there maybe a problem with the warranty transfer from the U.S. to Canada. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
make mine blue said:
I have been comparing prices up here for 2006 SSR's. (Looking for a jammed Pacific Blue 6 speed). Fully optioned units list around $53k in U.S. dollars. Comprable U.S. units list for around $47k. Up to 6k difference for the same truck. Best cash deal on a new unit from a dealer up here is around $49k U.S. I see U.S. dealers selling for a lot less. Does anyone (maybe one of the member dealers) know why there is such a price differential? I realize we have a lot less inventory to choose from, but the units we do have up here are not moving regardless. I am seroiusly considering buying a U.S. unit (has to be previously titled to qualify) but there maybe a problem with the warranty transfer from the U.S. to Canada. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
It may be the Dealer cash back /rebates are different.

·
Premium Member
9,351 Posts
A fully loaded 06 (6 speed, chrome option, 3SS, 2 tone) lists for about $60K Canadian (Dealer is selling it for $57K) At current exchange, about $47K US. OK for a factory order if you insist on getting exactly what you want, but probably not for an inventory unit.

Importing from the US is a bit of an ordeal, and you need to do significant research before attempting it. (ie providing US Customs with a copy of the MSO 72 hours before crossing, providing proof there are no outstanding recalls, provincial inspection, federal inspection, dealing with how to get the vehicle from the border legally because you can't plate it before inspection, etc.)

I went through it on my 03, but at that time, the spread was over $24K - just not worth it anymore. The Vehicle must also be registered for 6 months in the US, and have 7500 miles (12000K) to meet GM's used vehicle requirements. My dealer had a letter from GM making it very clear that warranty would automatically be blocked on a new import.

There shouldn't be a difference in cost, but GM is very slow reacting to the constantly moving exchange rate. At the time of intro in October 03, they had the SSR pegged at a rate of 1.66. At least now they're within range.

Keep in mind also, that back in 01/02, when exchange rates were in the 1.62 range, we were buying Duramaxes at about a 10K advantage over the US market, also because GM was slow reacting to the exchange differential. The end result was that a huge number of trucks were being exported to the US (I sold 2 trucks, buying new replacements for what I was selling the used ones for, so it all averages out.)

The 06 price has decreased significantly, but 05s on the lots may still carry a higher cost. A new 06 with chrome option, 6 speed, the Corvette 6L, full rear carpet and strips, chrome wheels, and two tone option is about $24k Canadian less than a loaded 03 sold for originally.

Ray

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
US Unit Imported to Canada

make mine blue said:

I imported an '05 last August, PM me for info on the details...

·
Registered
357 Posts
I know it's a long way from Canada, but before I bought my used 05 SSR for 31,600 I was dealing on a pacific blue 06 with chrome package,3ss, 6-spd at Garber Chevrolet in Green Cove Springs, Florida. They had(and still have it) listed for 48k and said I could buy for 43k plus tax,tag,etc. The Pacific blue with chrome looks great! This was a week before Christmas. I drove buy it yesterday-still there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info Jim, unless the vehicle has been previously titled, I do not believe I can import into Canada. I assume it is a new untitled unit? Can you confirm? Fla. is not a problem. I brought a vehicle in from Az. last fall.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Flassh, does the unit have to be at least 6 months old AND have at least 12000km to qualify for the warranty transfer? Would a six month old unit qualify with lower km's?

·
Premium Member
9,351 Posts
Hi, Blue

If you do the paperwork right (use a broker - it's worth it) you should be able to import a new truck. You should have no problem with the Registrar of Imported Vehicles, or with Customs. The problem is with GM warranty.

I had first ordered an SSR from my local dealer, but the canadian price made it impossible to complete the deal. Many letters, emails, faxes, and even a registered letter to the president of GM Canada had little effect except for bland generic replies from their PR department pretty much saying "thank you for your letter, we don't give a damn, now get out of our lives".

Only when I sent a registered letter saying I was cancelling my order, and bringing an SSR up from the US did I get any kind of action. I had 2 calls from GM asking who the servicing dealer would be. I didn't give them an answer, but seeing as they had my name and a factory order to play with, it didn't take them long to figure it out.

I received a call from the dealer a few days later about a letter they had received making it very clear GM Canada would block the warranty on a new truck. I got to read it, but they wouldn't let me take a copy.

I checked with GM warranty, and their standard answer (3 calls at different times, taking names, just to make sure they were consistent) was 6 months AND 12000 km.

I didn't get an exact answer as to whether that was 12000 km when it crossed the border, or 12000 km the first time it was brought in for service. I think you'd want to make sure it had a legitimate number of miles, with some GM documented oil changes at least, to make sure it's fairly obvious it is a used unit.

As an aside, I had a friend in Alberta who was exporting Duramaxes and Ford diesels when exchange was really high and demand in the US was high. If he got to the 6 months with low KM, he would put them on blocks, set the cruise, and let them go for days, refueling them from a truck mounted tank. Looked pretty funny to see these trucks running, but if he set the cruise at 90 k (60 mph) he could put on about 1500 miles a day on each one.:lol

When I took mine in for service the first time, the dealer had to call in the zone service rep to check out the truck. They asked for proof of import, date of purchase to make sure it was 6 months old (made it by 2 days) and they checked the mileage. I was at 13000 k or so when I took it in, and I had the Customs officer document the mileage at import to make sure I had no issues.

The only concern the zone rep had was to say I needed to change the instrument cluster to Canadian specs - checked the price, and the conversion was about $1800. I passed both the federal and provincial inspections - the requirement was for secondary markings in KM, and for the odometer to do kms. I was OK on both, although the secondary km markings are so small they are impossible to read with any sun or shadows. I told him I wasn't going to change it out, and never heard any more about it.

You might try contacting SSRGUY if he still hangs around the Fanatic site. If not, I can probably locate an email for him. He's in Toronto, has contacts within GM, and knew of "New" imports into Ontario with no warranty issues. He might even have imported one for himself by now.

Ray

1 - 11 of 11 Posts