Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After posting the thread, "What's next best performance mod", I've become interested in learning more about high stall torque converters. I've read articles on this site and other places but would like to hear more from those of you here that have more knowledge about them. Care to share?

It all sounds like an interesting upgrade but what are the trade offs, if any?

Can you simply buy the upgraded converter, take it to the local tranny shop for install and be done? Similar to a rear end gear swap?

Or are there other bits that need to be addressed too? If so, what and why?

I'm not a Ricky Racer but would enjoy a little more oomph off the line and a little better acceleration from my 5.3.

What do you think? Is this a good way to go?

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
I have one Greg Ducato's 3000 RPM stall converters, corvette servo and 4.10 gears in my 2005 SSR. They were in it when I bought it in 2008. I personally do not care for it. Love the corvette servo and 4.10 gears. I also had a 2800 RPM converter in a 1970 Corvette with 3.31 gears, engine was a 350 HP 350. I think the stall converters and great for strip use, not so much on the street.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SSR051,
Thanks for your response. Honestly I wasn't sure what to expect so your comments are valued.

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
If you talk to Greg Ducato and tell him how you drive, what you want from your truck, he'll tell you what stall speed is right for you... and build it.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
I had Greg Ducato put a 10 inch model with billet cover and the vette servo in my ‘06 automatic with stock rear axle ratio. Not sure what the stall speed was and I love the way it drives, so I agree you should give Greg a call and talk to him.

Rope

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I may call Greg at some point if I choose to go down that path. And yes, I've read the articles. But for now, I am just wanting to hear from some actual users to get feedback on their thoughts and experiences.

Regards, wizzr

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,048 Posts
It is a hard question to answer because we all have different opinions. I myself like the trans to shift very firm and hard and chirp the tires. Others want comfort and a mushy slushbox type trans and smooth shift. Which by the way is hard on the trans. Sometimes it is better to talk to the builder and tell him what you want and he can tell you what is best for you and best for the transmission. Having a custom tune will change the shifting tremendously. It is a place to start. I have a Corvette servo and a Dyno super tune among other things. Shifts firm and hard and raised the RPM limits in each shift just the way I wanted. Good luck.

Reactions: Jersey red

·
My First Permagrin !
567 Posts
Hi wizzr
I drove my stock SSR for a year before starting the upgrade bug . I started with a super chips tuner then Greg's high stall converter and corvette servo and Amzoil fluid what a difference it made. The easy answer it feels the way the factory should have produced the SSR .
For now I really like the changes I have made , Dave

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
So let's add something else to this thread.

What's the bigger bang for the buck, High Stall Torque Converter or Rear End Gear change to 411 OR 456?
From
In fact, swapping to a higher stall converter gives as much or more performance gain as a gear swap, and will not alter the highway cruising rpm like a steeper gear will do. A higher stall converter works great on an otherwise stock SSR to give greater acceleration without extensive engine modifications and will work with a stock tune and lower octane fuel.
I'm sure he's talking a 4:11 not a 4:56. Greg told me he was planning to up the stall speed on my replacement, and I told him to use his best judgement. I'm very happy with the result.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
shakatak, I like the way you think! Hope we get some fun feedback.
Greg installed the higher torque converter, servo, AA 4:56 and Mike's slick looking pumpkin cover almost 10 years ago. I haven't looked back on it since. That said, 10 years later, today, I would probably opt for the 4:11 gears. Forgetting the mileage debate for a minute [who bought these as gas sippers anyway?], I like the kickdown passing ability from 70-90 with the 4:56. The downside is that it raps out @ about 115, looking for a 5th/6th gear. I have also replaced the rear tires more than I would have with the 4:11's.....possibly. :shades:

As others have posted, Greg is simply the best at what he does so a quick conversation with him will put you where you want to be.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,433 Posts
I've read the stuff and still can't say that I understand what's going on with the torque converter. I have a 3000 on Ilsa and she has 4.56 gears and (too many) engine upgrades. When cruising, at around 55 or 60 mph the rpms will settle down a bit like the converter is finally engaging all the way, which makes me think that it may be intentionally slipping until then. From what I've heard, it seems that under normal acceleration there's slippage occurring until 55 - 60 mph; but under hard acceleration, it grabs right away.

So Joe, how about a "High rev torque converters for dummies" even more simplified than the previous one?

·
Premium Member
6,135 Posts
The 4L60E/4L65E torque converter has a clutch inside that when applied eliminates any slippage in the converter. The computer controls when this clutch is applied dependent on gear, throttle position and speed and can be altered with programming changes.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finances got a little tight so I ended up installing just the Corvette servo. That, along with the 4:11 gear is a definite improvement in the "fun factor" department! I'm sure my miles per gallon sucks but the smiles per gallon is huge! I'll keep the torque converter on the back burner for now.

Gotta say, I'm glad I had a pro do the servo install on a lift. It was a really tight fit getting the old one out. I would not want to tackle the job laying on my back under the truck.

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
Wizzr
I see in your profile you are using the superchips flashpaq tuner. Are you using one of their pre-designed programs? If so which one? I realize you modified the program for the rear axle change, but did you do anything about the shift pressures to take into account the shift pressures were changed by installing the corvette servo.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Autoprof, I have played with the tuner and adjusted the shift points and pressures a number of times. But I keep coming back to their pre-designed 91 octane performance tune. That program provides the best overall performance improvements in my opinion. That said, I have not gone back to re-test since installing the servo (i.e increasing pressure). The current set-up provides nice firm, quick shifts without being too radical.

But now you've got me wondering... perhaps I'll put it back to stock, test, then do the 89 octane performance tune, test, and finally do the 91 octane tune and test again. I doubt I'd go into the tuner to manually adjust the pressures and shift points again as I'd like to keep it simple. Ah... the joys of having a toy to play with!

And yes, I do adjust for the gear change.

Regards, Mark.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts