Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really dissapointed that the Drive-in ride didn't work out but I am going to try and organize a hill-country ride for 9/24/05 for those interested.
I will do the scouting this weekend and post the details.

The initial plan is to meet at the Denny's Diner (retro) across from Lakeline Mall around RR620 and hwy.183 that morning.

This will be a longer ride than our last one that may include Fredericksburg and yes, the spouses or significant others are encouraged to attend.

I hope this one works out and will update this thread ASAP.

Thanks
OP

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
never mind

Not going to do the ride, family obligations just sprouted up that is keeping me in limbo as to whether I will be available or not, so rather than keeping everyone in wait, I will just not pursue this event.
If things fall through, you may see me out riding around though, so honk, wave, flash lights to get my attention and we can ride together, otherwise have a good weekend and I will try another time to organize something.

But by all means, if someone else out there wants to organize a group ride, please do so, it is alot of work but I am sure all would appreciate it.

Ride safe...

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Four of us did a hill country ride to F'burg about a year ago - sure stirred up the locals when we came through town.

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Heading to Fredericksburg tomorrow to check out the new 50's style diner on 16 past the hospital. I hear it has only been opened for a short while (less than 5 months) May be a great place to host a regional SSR meet sometime.
I'll update as to my findings.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Was in Fredericksberg today...

Went there today to take in the B&B open house and reception sponsered by the Gastehaus Schmidt... went to 7 B&Bs to see what they were like, and sampled some of the treats that they had from a few restaurants in the area... we were down 16 South past Susie's Diner... looked just like a 50' diner... and a little like an In 'n Out... had a few classic cars parked near the dinner. Not too many other cars there though, but it was this afternoon around 4:30PM. If not the diner, there are several other great places there to eat and the ride was great... took 290 to Fredricksberg and came back via 281 to Marble Falls and 1431 to Cedar Park. What a great day for a ride with the top down. :) :)

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
missed you by 24 hours

Went to Fredericksburg today, had lunch at the Hangar Hotel Diner, admired the WWII planes that a club had there on display and were flying around. Took pics of the SSR, went to Susie's Diner for dessert and headed back.
This is a definite get together place. 9/24 they are having a classic car auction at the Hangar.
This hurricane in the gulf may change my plans yet once again and I may head out to the car show.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Can't make that weekend, but would be up for the weekend of Oct. 14-16. Sounds like a fun time. And there is the prospect that it would be cooler then.

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
October is shot

Won't be able to organize or attend any rides in October, either working or travelling every weekend and most weekdays.
Ya'll have fun and I'll catch up when the schedule opens.

FYI, one of those weekends, I will be in Marc's neck of the woods in the Niagara Falls area, hope to see him and his SSR...

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Looking at the Texas Travel Brochure/Book, Uvalde, Vanderpool and (some town I can't remember the name) has great twisty roads and there is a National Park with Real Trees that show their fall colors usually the first week or so in Nov. I have been on the Uvalde road, and it is a blast, but don't want to go when it rains, to many low gulleys and the Guadelope River is in that area. I can't do the first weekend in Nov. but maybe the second.!!! Anyone interested!?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Is Texas playing at home that weekend?

You can count me in so long as Texas is not playing at home... our kids are avid alumna and attend all the home games and we gleefully get to spoil our granddaughter for the day and evening. But we would love to go for a ride with y'all! Finally get to meet some of the other TexSSRs. Let me know if you need some help putting this together... be glad to lend assistance. :lurk

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Well check the schedule!!!! We Can Meet Sat. Morning and Drive all day have dinner in SA or New Braunfels and overnight it !!! or just meet for the day and everyone go their seperate ways at night fall.!!!

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
did it

Great idea Wildcat, I have driven that route many times but it is quite a drive, not as close and quick as it may appear on the map. November is a good time of year and if I'm in town, I will scout and post my findings and suggestions. In all likelihood, it could be a weekend meet for those out-of-towners.
It is especially nice driving from Kerrville through Hunt and on to Vanderpool, Uvalde...

I think the Hangar Hotel in Fredericksburg would be a great meeting place and hotel for those travelling, have breakfast in the diner, watch the planes taxi and then head toward Kerrville, etc., drive the loop and back to Fredericksburg and dinner at Suzie's diner across from the hotel.

full day of SSR driving through the hill country in November is a beautiful idea...

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
probably can't go

Checked the schedule and 11/5 is my 11th wedding anniversary and wife is working, but will expect me home that evening so I probably couldn't make this meet.

She already thinks I love the SSR more than her................................No comment!

If this thing forms, then I will try my hardest to show if only for a brief drive...

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
It would be the next weekend. The 5th of Nov. I have to help the at our PTA Carnival!!! so go back check your dates for Nov 12th, Looks like my daughter will be at a swim meet so we might be able to bring the Vette and SSR with our two sons, I don't know how the Vette will hold up on those dips. What do you think AMPMOP?

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
can't go

Cannot make those dates, but have fun.

The vette should be fine as long as it is driven sanely, like under 60mph in those low areas.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Texas Home Game Nov 15...

Last home game of the season, so any other weekend I could join... Will be in Fredricksberg this weekend, so could scout the area around there some more... there are some great places to eat. It might really be a hoot to have all of us get one of the larger country B&Bs rented for us TEXSSRs only and have a big fall outdoor steak cookout... if nothing else, I knew of a Dude Ranch in Bandera that would be big enough to accommodate all of us... It may still be there... I'll check it out. :party

1 - 19 of 19 Posts