Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Slingshot Yellow
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried removing the trailer hitch & broke it (I think). Inserted the key & turned it counterclockwise to unlock. When I tried to pull the knob outward to turn clockwise, the outer part of the knob separated from the mechanism. Can’t get the remaining part to move outward. HELP! The hitch has been on the truck continuously for 6+ years. Any ideas?

·
Tech Support/Research
1,785 Posts
Can't you align the lock tabs of the outer portion of the handle/knob such that you can snap the outer part back in place to obtain a better grip? It is more difficult to pull only the inner portion of the handle/knob. Also consider spraying some penetrating oil around the perimeter of the handle/knob and, with the outer part still removed, around the annulus between the handle/knob and inner mechanism/cross shaft. An accumulation of dirt within that annulus could be causing a binding condition.

·
Premium Member
2005 Slingshot Yellow
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't you align the lock tabs of the outer portion of the handle/knob such that you can snap the outer part back in place to obtain a better grip? It is more difficult to pull only the inner portion of the handle/knob. Also consider spraying some penetrating oil around the perimeter of the handle/knob and, with the outer part still removed, around the annulus between the handle/knob and inner mechanism/cross shaft. An accumulation of dirt within that annulus could be causing a binding condition.
Gonna show my ignorance. Is WD40 a penetrating oil? If not, what should I get?

·
Premium Member
2005 Slingshot Yellow
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OBTW, tried viewing the video on another thread. Won’t work on my phone.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,112 Posts
Thanks snomuncher. Used WD40 & sprayed where you said, let it sit for awhile & it worked. Thank you!
Glad you got it. Can you post a picture of what/where it broke? Can't imagine how the know would break off :unsure:

Nick

·
Premium Member
5,112 Posts
@Asheborodan, ah ha. Thanks. I thought the entire knob came off leaving only the key cylinder/shaft. i didn't realize the knob was in 2 halves. Interesting.

Nick

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
:unsure:
Being from Ashville, and being aware of some local (traditions), could you update some of us as to the exact date when some of the ladies of Ashville decide to go (topless) and/or show their wares right down main street. Being as Ashville has several Micro Brew Pubs, I was maybe hoping to ride over that way to enjoy a few new brews and just maybe be there for the "display"..................;)

·
Premium Member
2005 Slingshot Yellow
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Being from Ashville, and being aware of some local (traditions), could you update some of us as to the exact date when some of the ladies of Ashville decide to go (topless) and/or show their wares right down main street. Being as Ashville has several Micro Brew Pubs, I was maybe hoping to ride over that way to enjoy a few new brews and just maybe be there for the "display"..................;)
Sorry, this is Asheboro not Asheville. Haven’t seen any topless ladies here. 😜

·
Premium Member
2005 Slingshot Yellow
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Asheborodan, ah ha. Thanks. I thought the entire knob came off leaving only the key cylinder/shaft. i didn't realize the knob was in 2 halves. Interesting.

Nick
I’m not sure, but the pictures I sent are both sides of the same knob. I didn’t try to put it back on. I just put on gloves and used the remaining metal knob to drop the hitch.

·
Premium Member
5,112 Posts
I’m not sure, but the pictures I sent are both sides of the same knob. I didn’t try to put it back on. I just put on gloves and used the remaining metal knob to drop the hitch.
Ha! Ha! now I'm lost again. It's hell to get old. IF---you get time, a picture of the hitch and knob you turned?

Nick

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Sorry, this is Asheboro not Asheville. Haven’t seen any topless ladies here. 😜
:oops:
Ooops, our next door neighbor here at the beach, this was one of their (extra) homes. Their main stay was in Asheville and he made me aware of this annual "tradition" with some of the local ladies there.

Thought it would be amusing to take it all in................:p

·
Premium Member
2004 slingshot yellow
81 Posts
Asheville, North Carolina
Aug. 24, 2020

·
Premium Member
2005 Slingshot Yellow
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glad you got it. Can you post a picture of what/where it broke? Can't imagine how the know would break off :unsure:

Nick
I tried posting pics but kept getting a security warning from the website. I’ll try again.
View attachment 589044
Asheboro
City in North Carolina
Description
Asheboro is a city in and the county seat of Randolph County, North Carolina, United States. The population was 25,012 at the 2010 census. It is the home of the state-owned North Carolina Zoo.Wikipedia

Weather: 28°F (-2°C), Wind W at 0 mph (0 km/h), 90% Humidity
Population: 25,844 (2018)

·
R Gang
39 Posts
I used JB weld to put one back together. If you can get everything to line up that might work to keep it together.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts