Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just got the truck 3 weeks ago and it only has 300 miles on it ....HOWEVER the car is over a year old MFG Date Sept 04. Is the oil still good to use after a year?

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
IllinoisSSR said:
Ok I just got the truck 3 weeks ago and it only has 300 miles on it ....HOWEVER the car is over a year old MFG Date Sept 04. Is the oil still good to use after a year?
If you are sure it sat for a year, I'd change it after about 1000 miles. Just my confort level.

·
Registered
286 Posts
To SSRLRT...I hope your dealer intends to honor warranty expense for potential engine problems turned down by GM. 2004 owner's manual, page 6-4 specifies oil changes "at least once a year".

·
Registered
416 Posts
The owner's manual in my '05 also says to change the oil at least once a year, regardless the oil life reading in the DIC.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Change the oil, if for no other reason "peace of mind" You should check with your dealer as I believe at one time the new cars came with a little different oil blend for break-in ? ? Either wat it's cheap insurance. :thumbs

·
Registered
579 Posts
Oil Change Time

Change the oil. First find out if the dealer changed the oil and if so when. If you can not find this out then change the oil with Mobil 1. Have peace of mind. Remember, oils degrade with age and use (heat, temperature). Save yourself some grief.

:seeya E :seeya

Orange SSR :ssr

·
Registered
615 Posts
I would think the first oil change would be 500 miles or 90 days, whichever is first. Since parts are breaking in and normally there will be some hint of minute pieces of metal floating around internally and I would do the second oil change about the same lenght of time/miles, then follow your own plan. Which for me is about every 3,000 miles or 6 months.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I said this to someone on a PM recently that I would be careful about oil or should I say sludge that has been sitting for a year or more.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm not so sure....

but, if the owner's manual says 1 year, okay. But synthetic oils are intended for longer life and higher temps than standard motor oils. I can't see how oil in the crankase of a car sitting on a dealer's lot or on the show room could significantly degrade such that it would need immediate changing upon delivery. If that were the case, GM would instruct (and pay for) the dealer to change oil before delivery on any stock unit that hits its 1 year mark since build date.

I believe the 1-year to change recommendation is because some owners may not put on sufficient mileage in a year, yet stil be regularly running the engine, either in short trips or idling, and GM is just urging owners who may take 2-3 years to reach 6,000 miles to change oil more often.

This is not the same as a new owner that will reach the 6,000 mile mark in 6 months or so.

I've been running synthethics for several years, and they can go as long as 10,000 miles between changes, one of the main reasons why you pay such a premium for this product. I stick with 6,000 miles, hard to break that 3,000 miles between changes habit but at $60+ a crack I can live with changing it every 3 months instead of every six weeks.

I don't think there's anything to worry about with transmission fluid and 1 year idleness before purchase. Heat is the biggie with trans, and the tranny hasn't seen much if at all before delivery.

however, that said, it's only $60, so it's not like it's gonna break anybody to do it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Synthetic oils can "sit" longer than conventional oils without any problems. Time-wise, I don't think you have anything to worry about, because it is so new.

That being said, because it is so new, I would think about changing it. First, I'd put a couple of hundred more miles on it (get at least 500 on it), then change it. Make sure you use the Mobil 1 SuperSyn or the new Synthetic. The bottle needs to say "full synthetic" on it; not a "blend". The cheapest place I've gotten Mobil 1 is at WalMart in the 5-quart jug.

For a filter, I strongly recommend the GM UPF44 (available at any GM dealer and some A/M vendors). This is a higher grade than the stock GM filter and traps smaller particles.

After this initial oil change, I'd change it again at 3,000 miles. Then about every 6,000 to 8,000 miles after that. Use the DIC and oil color to tell you; when it turns a medium brown (like lightly stained oak wood), then change it regardless of what the DIC says.

If you do park your SSR for a long period of time (like through the winter), it is better to have it sit on a fresh oil change. Inside the engine you get a lot of other fluid build-up; water from condensation, residual combustion by-products, etc. Some of this stuff can be a little corrosive to the interior of the engine. When you run the motor a lot, most of this stuff burns off so it isn't much of an issue. If you have a lot of it there, like parking it for the winter after putting several thousand miles on it, the levels can build up a little, which can start some corrosion. It will take a while to actually see any real damage, but why take a chance?

Transmission oils are not subjected to the combustion effects like engine oil is. Some tranny oils are also formulated a little differently than engine oils. That's why they can sit longer without any worries. Even so, beacuse the car is new, I'd also change the tranny oil and diff oil after you hit 6,000+ miles. This will help get rid off any assembly lube and fine particles from new parts "breaking in".

Hope this helps....

·
Registered
893 Posts
Sludge???????

Sometimes I sit here and read these threads and just shake my head :nodno .....Sludge ??????? in a new SSR sitting on a dealers showroom floor........1 year change suggestion........things taken out of context...??????Where does sludge come from-------USE AND ABUSE.......AND OVER USE........I don't think a SSR sitting on a dealers floor has much of this.......Sometime I wonder if some the SSR owners are Hyper-condriacts :lol :lol well something like that........Always searching for a problem, where none exists.......I know people that if they hear of a new illness.....imediately they think they have it........Some people want to think they have a illness where none exists just so they have something to talk or complain about.........Thank god for this web site, to provide answers to questions.......But sometimes people just need to stop and THINK. and read the Manual plus use a little common sence..... :yesnod ....Just my 25 cents worth :lol :seeya

1 - 14 of 14 Posts