Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SSR Overseas, Ireland,
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I noticed my driver side front side light was not illuminating so thought bulb must have blown. Went looking to see how to replace bulb and fount small 6” square inspection removal panel inside wheel well liner. I then noticed that this small panel has a hole melted in it. It appears to be melted from inside out ?
Two quick questions
1. Any one any ideas what may have cause this ?
2. I have 12v DC at bulb socket but fitted in a new bulb and it is still not illuminating. Double checked new bulb for continuity and is a good replacement bulb, what. Am I missing here

Thanks
Richard

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
:rolleyes:
From your pictures, it looks like a bulb popped out of its socket and melted that cover. However, that cover as I recall gives you access to the headlight bulbs. That side marker light is accessed in a different manner. If you do a search on the forum here looking for LED replacements of all bulbs, you should find the one that describes just how to access each and every one.

To me, you're checking a bulb socket via that access door which I think should be a headlight socket. When you seem to be wanting to replace the side marker light.:unsure:

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,908 Posts
I'll wager that your hole was melted by a headlight bulb. The side marker bulb does not have enough power to do that. There is probably a headlight bulb that is hanging loose on a cable someplace.

Side marker lights pull straight out of the fascia. the front corner has a plastic tab into the fascia and the rear corner has a smooth spring clip that allows you to pry it out. You may want to pull the front edge of the wheel liner loose by taking the two plastic push pins out of the bottom and the two screws (7mm head) out of the edge by the tire. You can then have access to push the side marker light out. It will also let you peek into the space and look for the headlight bulb.

Mike

·
SSR Overseas, Ireland,
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi
Thanks for that
I don’t know when hole was melted into plastic but I am guessing that yes a hot bulb could have done so.

I tried swapping around my side light bulb holders and I have the same issue on driver side. I did discover that the bulb will flash on hazard lights / left turn signal but goes out again when switched off. I do have 12v present constant which should illuminate side marker light but is not.

Suspect that it has something to do with the circuit for side light even though I only have two wires at bulb fitting.

I’m guessing that the side marker has two funnctions
A. Always on. Side marker
B flashing indicator for hazard lights / left turn signal.

How is the power controlled to this?

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,868 Posts
The Left and Right Low and high beams have their own fuses ( 4 fuses) . My right low beam was intermittently working and I discovered the fuse was fitting loose. I twisted the tabs on the fuse slightly and replaced it so it fit tight and it's been fine since. I also had to do this with another SSR last year, on the left LB fuse.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
@Ireland SSR, To answer your “how is the power controlled” question: Power is supplied to the front side marker lamps by the front parking lamp circuits. The path to ground for the front side markers is provided through the front turn signal bulb filament... this is what causes the side markers to blink. When the turn signal is on, power intermittently flows through the turn signal bulb filament to ground, intermittently blocking the path to ground for the side marker bulb.

·
Premium Member
2,677 Posts
@TruckNRod -- good diagram
Yes the side marker grounds though other bulbs so they could be suspect!

Have you installed front LED turnsignals/park lights?
-- if yes put known good regular bulb back in, and try again
-- If no - Check the operation of the front park lights and turn signals (note - check turn signals by using hazard lights and then compare the intensity of the two sides). If drivers side seems dim replace that bulb or socket.

·
SSR Overseas, Ireland,
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi
No led bulbs fitted.
Yes the side marker flashes with front turn signal,
I do appear to have 12v at side marker but it will not cause bulb to illuminate, which I don’t understand. Have to trace ground wires a bit more

·
Premium Member
2,677 Posts
Yes, check ground. But as @TruckNRod and i both tried to explain.
When park lights are on side marker grounds through front turnsignal bulb.
When turn signals are on the side marker grounds through front park light.
So one time one wire is power other is ground, change operation and the power and ground reverse at side marker.
This is why i question intensity of front park and turn signal bulbs. If one of those is bad, the side marker won't work correctly.

·
SSR Overseas, Ireland,
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right
I think I got you now, did not expect to see 12v being inverted, that’s what was confusing me. Will have another go at it next weekend
Thank for your help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts