Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 red was just purchased in Houston. I got her back to CA and took off the front Liscense plate. BEHOLD, there are four 1/4" holes drilled thru the first and second painted grill crossmembers.
QUESTION.
Is it easier to buy the Kaminai mcrossmember ovelays and CHROME them or
hav a Body shop can fill the holes and try to match the paint?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
if it were me & I could afford the stainless steal covers for the grille that's the way I would go. Also put in the 3 piece grille insets. About $44 on ebay. Pick a seller, parts are all the same. Then get a front plate holder from Mike @ simple engineering. If you state doesn't require a ft. plate you are a little bit luckier? OF COURSE,,,then you should buy the crossbar & hood emblem in chrome to kinda match the stainless covers. I have no problem with spending your money.

Birdmans

·
Tech Support/Research
1,735 Posts
License Plate Mounting Holes in Front Fascia

Although not as elegant or costly as having the holes filled and the fascia primed and painted, using plastic plugs from a hardware store and painting them to match will work. They are hardly noticeable from a few feet away. I have purchased a few vehicles with license plate bracket holes already drilled in the front and used this as a solution. One reason is that a future owner in a state that requires display of two plates already has provisions for mounting a bracket. The second is that my state requires two plates and if I get tagged for not displaying a front plate I can use what's already in place. If the fascia holes were not already there I'd opt for one of the brackets that does not require drilling- but it's too late for that on my truck.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
I had same issue. I had a sto and sho bracket made and then went awhile with painted plugs. I wanted to do the kamanri covers and chrome plate them. Too rich to fit my want list. I went with the stainless plates. Offered by Florida Stainless or I think another member has them also (search Ron's bling).
Removable license plate, no holes or plugs and MORE BLING.:sunce::banana

Attachments

·
Spirited driver!
1,658 Posts
I had those 4 ugly holes drilled in mine too. I got the quick-release front plate bracket from sto-n-sho and filled the holes with Plasticweld putty Plastic Body Putty. It is like modeling clay that you just squish into the hole. Topped the putty off with some Dr. ColorChip paint chip fixer and it is all good.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I live in Texas and remove my front plate for shows. I have 4 - 1/8" Rivets that I painted with touch up paint, Ultra Violet.

When I remove the bracket, I use a small drop of Elmer's glue and push the rivets into place. Unless you are really looking you cannot tell they are there and you don't see the holes.

When I re-install the front plate bracket, I pull the rivets with finger nails or small screw driver put them in a snack bag and remount the bracket.

Skip

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts