Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a 1/2" gap at the rear of my hood on the drivers side, passenger side is only 1/4". I can't see any way to adjust the hinges, as there is only a limit stop which I put all the way down. That didn't solve the problem. Has anyone else run into this problem?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Nope, see your dealer. happy trails.

edit:
You are talking about a vertical mismatch right?
Dose the bottom edge of the hood align with the shadow line on the door?

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dread!!

I dread taking Blueberry to the dealer for anything I might be able to fix. They don't love her like I do. Darn! Drat! Darn! Darn!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
JOHN317 said:
Noticed a 1/2" gap at the rear of my hood
Talking about gaps, I noticed my rear lid corner is not flush on the passenger side (higher by ~3/8"). Is there an easy adjustment for this misalignment??

thanks Frank

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Rear lid gap

If I don't close my back lid hard enough, the passenger side is up about 1/2 inch.
I just open and reclose the lid with a little more effort and all is fine.... :)

·
OP
8,225 Posts
frankmp said:
Talking about gaps, I noticed my rear lid corner is not flush on the passenger side (higher by ~3/8"). Is there an easy adjustment for this misalignment??

thanks Frank
When closing the rear deck (tonneau cover), it must be done one or two ways to properly engage both side latches.
Either use two hands to close by having one hand on each side and closing equally or slam the crap out of it with one hand located in the middle of the tonneau cover, whichever you choose.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I think every vehicle is different

I've found that if I push the tonneau cover down and the tailgate up, in turn, both about a foot from the left edge, they close with the best fit / alignment to each other, and to the side body panels.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Beer100, the hood does not line up with the shadow line on the door. It is about 1/8" higher, but even more disturbing is that the 1/2"gap starts at the center of the hood as a 3/8" gap and grows to 1/2" at the rear. Yes it is vertical. JOHN317

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
JOHN317 said:
Beer100, the hood does not line up with the shadow line on the door. It is about 1/8" higher, but even more disturbing is that the 1/2"gap starts at the center of the hood as a 3/8" gap and grows to 1/2" at the rear. Yes it is vertical. JOHN317
I'm sorry John, but I'm not understanding the description.

"the 1/2" gap starts at the center of the hood as a 3/8" gap and grows to 1/2" at the rear"

The center of the hood? As in right over the intake manafold? The center of an edge? Which edge? :confused

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More concise I need to be!

Beer100,

From the drivers side as you look at the vehicle, the seam between the hood and the fender starting at a point halfway between the front of the hood and the rear of the hood, the gap starts out being 3/8" and gradually increases to 1/2" where the hood reaches the "A" post at the windshield. The bottom edge of the hood is about 1/8" above the shadow line of the door. John317

·
Registered
40 Posts
hood alighnment

John317:

I had a 04 with hood alighnment problems, but mine was to the point the hood rubbed the passenger side fender when raising the hood and actually rubbed the paint off the fender in an area. Mine appeared to be mis-alighned at the factory and had a bad hinge. Very long story. Check both of your hinges and see if one is setting much lower than the other one. Could be you have a bad hinge.
Is there any other alighnment / rubbing problems on the hood with the fenders, or windshield pillers?

RGL

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
JOHN317 said:
Beer100,

From the drivers side as you look at the vehicle, the seam between the hood and the fender starting at a point halfway between the front of the hood and the rear of the hood, the gap starts out being 3/8" and gradually increases to 1/2" where the hood reaches the "A" post at the windshield. The bottom edge of the hood is about 1/8" above the shadow line of the door. John317
Ok, I think I understand now. With the hood closed, you can reach your fingers up under the edge of the hood, at the shadow line. Also the outside surface above the shadow line is not a smooth fit with the door. Something like a 1/2" step is present.

No doubt that's way out of whack! Above the shadow line the surface of the door and hood should be even with each other.

Yeah, this is one for the dealer!

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
No Help!!

beer100 said:
Ok, I think I understand now. With the hood closed, you can reach your fingers up under the edge of the hood, at the shadow line. Also the outside surface above the shadow line is not a smooth fit with the door. Something like a 1/2" step is present.

No doubt that's way out of whack! Above the shadow line the surface of the door and hood should be even with each other.

Yeah, this is one for the dealer!
I took it in today and they sent it out to a local body shop. I went over there myself and talked with the body guy. He said there is no adjustment. Looked and he is right. The brackets sit right on the fender and there is no way to adjust them. The service writer got the service mgr involved and he is going up the ladder to see how to solve this problem. They had an 04 on the lot that had about a 3/8" gap and if you got down even with the gap you could see the brackets through the gap like on mine. But it was not as bad as mine. What kind of gap do you have at the brackets? Had a hairline scratch when Got it back. Drat!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I had to go look.

The right side is about what I would expect. The left is too, but when critically looked at has a variable gap along the shadow line. Larger than the right, and larger near the door. The thing is, on mine the back edge of the hood matches the belt line on the door quite well. The extra gap is entirely in the fitup between the fender and hood.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Slam it and Gap is Gone

ampmop said:
Either use two hands to close by having one hand on each side and closing equally or slam the crap out of it
Ok, I did'nt slam her closed but more than I usually do and presto both rear lid corners flush and even!! :thumbs

Frank

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
beer100 said:
The right side is about what I would expect. The left is too, but when critically looked at has a variable gap along the shadow line. Larger than the right, and larger near the door. The thing is, on mine the back edge of the hood matches the belt line on the door quite well. The extra gap is entirely in the fitup between the fender and hood.
I think that it going to be a matter of working on the brackets either by trying to get a set that work or by reworking the set I have by grinding some off both ends to lower the clearance, maybe 1/16th off both ends. :leaving

1 - 16 of 16 Posts