Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my carbon fiber hood Emblem support from SE and installed today. Mike is right as it looks good unpainted. Fits perfectly. I didn't realize how flimsy the tabs that hold the Emblem on are. No wonder they break off easily. I recommend SE s support as it firmly reinforces the original and is one less thing I have to worry about as you open the hood. Thanks Mike for quality, fit, and function.

· Registered
2004 Chevrolet SSR Slingshot Yellow
169 Posts
Got my carbon fiber hood Emblem support from SE and installed today. Mike is right as it looks good unpainted. Fits perfectly. I didn't realize how flimsy the tabs that hold the Emblem on are. No wonder they break off easily. I recommend SE s support as it firmly reinforces the original and is one less thing I have to worry about as you open the hood. Thanks Mike for quality, fit, and function.
I can only agree - fit is perfect and it really protects the hood emblem! Remember to always pull by the hook when closing the hood.

· Premium Member
7,045 Posts
@Blue11, @LeSmi and anyone interested----"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" :cool:. I have Mike's support on both of ours, BUT, I got into the habit of using the steel corners of the hood to raise it. I don't ever use / touch the center Emblem area to raise the hood. Just me---

Nick

· Registered
169 Posts
@Blue11, @LeSmi and anyone interested----"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" :cool:. I have Mike's support on both of ours, BUT, I got into the habit of using the steel corners of the hood to raise it. I don't ever use / touch the center Emblem area to raise the hood. Just me---

Nick
I totally agree! Always avoid twisting or bending the hood in order to avoid breakage of the emblem.
Always use the hook/loop when closing the hood if You have the hood struts.
If not, use both hands when lifting/closing the hood.
Emblems are hard to find in the US and more or less impossible to get hold of here in Sweden

· Premium Member
2006 Pac Blue 6-Speed
1,581 Posts
Mike’s Emblem Support is a great piece. I also applied the decal that Simple Engineering offers as a reminder to use the hook to lower the hood. Mike’s website says it is out of stock right now, but hopefully he will have more available soon. Its a great way to remind yourself (and others under your hood) to use the hook!

Picture below is from the Simple Engineering site. Here is a direct link to the item:

Hood Emblem Decal at Simple Engineering Site

Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle Bumper Mode of transport Automotive exterior

· Registered
'05 Aqua Blur 6-spd
1,047 Posts
Mike in AZ's Carbon Fiber bracket is awesome. I really like the support for it is great protection for security of the hood emblem.
View attachment 617501
Do you have a picture of it installed from the front with hood closed? Without the Chevrolet attached.

Thanks.

· Slingshot Rules!
90,808 Posts
Mike’s Emblem Support is a great piece. I also applied the decal that Simple Engineering offers as a reminder to use the hook to lower the hood. Mike’s website says it is out of stock right now, but hopefully he will have more available soon. Its a great way to remind yourself (and others under your hood) to use the hook!

Since Mike "installed" the Emblem Support on The Doophus years ago . . . I have received nothing but very positive comments and even a few "Where can I get one?" requests.

Most of the positives have been at the Chevy Dealer Service Department.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

· Premium Member
2006 Silver automatic-vin #122786
640 Posts
I just ordered mine---I went through a length process to re attach one of the tabs---I hope it stays in place--I build a box around the tab with several applications of epoxy--I pulled on it to try and get it off, but it stayed in place for now.
Steve

· Premium Member
04 SSR
4,659 Posts
I totally agree! Always avoid twisting or bending the hood in order to avoid breakage of the emblem.
Always use the hook/loop when closing the hood if You have the hood struts.
If not, use both hands when lifting/closing the hood.
Emblems are hard to find in the US and more or less impossible to get hold of here in Sweden
I purchased a chrome one a few weeks ago - mine has been repaired - so I thought I should have a spare.
It arrived a few days ago. This site shows a satin one is also available - but some of these sites show a price and then after you try to order, they send you an email that it is no longer available

Now shipping to Sweden? -- if you wanted one, you could have it shipped to my house and I would ship to Sweden however, someone with a work account may get shipping cheaper than I can.
Product Rectangle Azure Font Screenshot

· Registered
169 Posts
I purchased a chrome one a few weeks ago - mine has been repaired - so I thought I should have a spare.
It arrived a few days ago. This site shows a satin one is also available - but some of these sites show a price and then after you try to order, they send you an email that it is no longer available

Now shipping to Sweden? -- if you wanted one, you could have it shipped to my house and I would ship to Sweden however, someone with a work account may get shipping cheaper than I can.
View attachment 617506
I have repaired the OEM satin emblem and it is now perfect. I purchased Mike’s Emblem Support to protect the emblem and had it painted in the same color as my SSR. Thank You for your offer to ship to Sweden. So far I have used Simple Engineering, eBay and a shipping agency in Florida. Main problem is that I have to pay (more or less) twice the price due to freight, tax and customs. Despite this I love my SSR and enjoy it everytime I drive it.

· Supporting SSR Hobbyist
11,337 Posts
Do you have a picture of it installed from the front with hood closed? Without the Chevrolet attached.

Thanks.
Since the studs that mount the Hood Emblem Support originate from the Chevrolet emblem, there is no possibility of installing the Hood Emblem Support without the Chevrolet emblem. Sorry……

· Registered
'05 Aqua Blur 6-spd
1,047 Posts
Since the studs that mount the Hood Emblem Support originate from the Chevrolet emblem, there is no possibility of installing the Hood Emblem Support without the Chevrolet emblem. Sorry……
Being one who never leaves well-enough alone while contesting for the Wilde Oscar, I'm thinking of a different purpose for it - as a filler for the area where the Chevrolet emblem goes - to give the appearance of an air duct or hood scope, recessed in the hood. :cool:

See the attached picture. It's not a very "clean" implementation so I'm looking for something better, like the emblem support without the emblem. Shown is my first attempt and my second is better but not better enough. o_O

So maybe it could be attached with double-sided tape or stud-like screws/bolts to hold it on. :unsure:

Whaddaya think?:rolleyes:
Automotive parking light Plant Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

· Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur, top secret can't say anything about another one
7,660 Posts
This may seem overly obvious, but if you don't have the hood emblem there to start with, you would not need the support on the back side. Because there is no emblem to break off.

There were some pictures I have seen of some prototype stuff with out the emblem and instead a screen and surround in the opening of the front of the hood.

· Registered
'05 Aqua Blur 6-spd
1,047 Posts
This may seem overly obvious, but if you don't have the hood emblem there to start with, you would not need the support on the back side. Because there is no emblem to break off.

There were some pictures I have seen of some prototype stuff with out the emblem and instead a screen and surround in the opening of the front of the hood.
Indeed, of course, you're right. I don't need the support to be a support for something that isn't there. But...

...but I was thinking of it as being a better looking filler for that place on the hood. I like the slight indent of the hood without the emblem, but it's messy without anything. Basically I'm looking for something to lay across the opening.

While I haven't seen the support from the front before the emblem is placed in it, I suspect it will be too thick. Whaddaya think?

· Registered
3 Posts

Nick
I agree. Never raise the hood by the emblem. Use the bottom edges (left & Right) to lift the hood. I was not aware that there was a new/improved, stronger mounting plate/support. I previously reinforced mine using construction sub floor adhesive & metal plumbing pipe support straps W/ the holes for the bolts to come thru. Works great for years. Word of caution, you have to cut the support straps into three pieces in order to line them in the proper position for the bolts. Sure does the trick for reinforcement. Too many years as a home builder!

· Registered
'04 pearl yellow with ghost flames
211 Posts
Being one who never leaves well-enough alone while contesting for the Wilde Oscar, I'm thinking of a different purpose for it - as a filler for the area where the Chevrolet emblem goes - to give the appearance of an air duct or hood scope, recessed in the hood. :cool:

See the attached picture. It's not a very "clean" implementation so I'm looking for something better, like the emblem support without the emblem. Shown is my first attempt and my second is better but not better enough. o_O

So maybe it could be attached with double-sided tape or stud-like screws/bolts to hold it on. :unsure:

Whaddaya think?:rolleyes:
View attachment 617579
I thought about doing that my self

· One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,761 Posts
Indeed, of course, you're right. I don't need the support to be a support for something that isn't there. But...

...but I was thinking of it as being a better looking filler for that place on the hood. I like the slight indent of the hood without the emblem, but it's messy without anything. Basically I'm looking for something to lay across the opening.

While I haven't seen the support from the front before the emblem is placed in it, I suspect it will be too thick. Whaddaya think?
I would think that you could use the support with bolts to hold it to the mounts on the hood and paint it all to match the truck (Blur) or black to have it disappear and it would not look bad from a distance. Up close it would be obvious that it was just filling a hole. I have painted mine to match the truck so they look like they belong when the hood is open.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts