Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,064 Posts
Already down this road

We have traveled this road before. It led to an end that goes like this....

The silver under-hood blanket is an option that was under consideration for the 2006 model year. Chevrolet had assigned it an option code of "BNK" with a $175 MSRP and listed it as an orderable option in September.

The product line was not accepting orders for it however, since they had not bought any from the vendor yet. To add an option to the product line takes money.....

Where I left it aboout two months ago was that GM was not going to make a committment on selling this until they decided to put it on the 2006 as an option. This was before they announced the closing of the product line.

The best suggestion I have is to put this on a wish list for GM to alow us to access the vendor. Perhaps they will let us buy them directly instead of trying to stock them. All that said, I suspect that this will have to wait until after the holidays.

Maybe we should start an "Action Item" list with the GM Product Line management.

Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,064 Posts
BigAlkin - Naah. The insulation blanket is there to keep the hood cool. I doubt you would ever be able to measure a difference in the underhood temperatures. It should be a lot easier to clean than the standard one though.

Ricochet - yeah, me too. Maybe we can get GM to divulge the supplier now though. If that be the case, maybe we could work a group purchase for a single production run.

Mikey

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Mike in AZ said:
BigAlkin - Naah. The insulation blanket is there to keep the hood cool. I doubt you would ever be able to measure a difference in the underhood temperatures. It should be a lot easier to clean than the standard one though.

Ricochet - yeah, me too. Maybe we can get GM to divulge the supplier now though. If that be the case, maybe we could work a group purchase for a single production run.

Mikey
Im going to call the Craft Center tomorrow and poke around, I also want to find out what they know about the spring edition. :)

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
OP said:
Does anyone have a part number for the silver hood insulation blanket. Marc had posted a pic of it in his album of it on an '05.

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/660/ppuser/784
They (GM) just loves to tease you. I know there has to be someone out there that can make that item besides GM. All it takes is a hood placed upside down and a mold made just like they would make for a fiberglass item.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,064 Posts
How about Carbon Fiber????

I'll talk to Doug Groh at 3G Services on Monday and see if he would be interested in making one out of Carbon Fiber. Might look pretty cool and still offer the insulating qualities......

Mikey

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Mike in AZ said:
I'll talk to Doug Groh at 3G Services on Monday and see if he would be interested in making one out of Carbon Fiber. Might look pretty cool and still offer the insulating qualities......

Mikey
Oh no Mike in AZ, I didn't mean make it out of fiberglass. I just ment maybe that was how they made the mold to form them. I just found the one at this site and it looks really great.

http://www.carmotorsports.com/UHI_ssr.htm

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,064 Posts
SS My R said:
Oh no Mike in AZ, I didn't mean make it out of fiberglass. I just ment maybe that was how they made the mold to form them. I just found the one at this site and it looks really great.

http://www.carmotorsports.com/UHI_ssr.htm

I've seen this site too. I really like the look, but it is still porous material that holds dirt and grease ( heaven forbid that ever happen). I love the colored stitching.

I think CF would be a lot easier to keep clean.

Just thinking out loud without pondering..... if you know what I mean.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Mike in AZ said:
I've seen this site too. I really like the look, but it is still porous material that holds dirt and grease ( heaven forbid that ever happen). I love the colored stitching.

I think CF would be a lot easier to keep clean.

Just thinking out loud without pondering..... if you know what I mean.

Mike
I wonder is there something it could be sprayed with to repel the grease and dirt or could it be waterproofed.

·
OP
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh yeah.

I think I'm going to try one of those. I'll just scotch guard the hell out of it and whatever else may help repel dirt. I like that better than the silver blanket.
Thanks for the link...

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
OP said:
I think I'm going to try one of those. I'll just scotch guard the hell out of it and whatever else may help repel dirt. I like that better than the silver blanket.
Thanks for the link...
Sounds like a plan. Scotch guard just might work if we spray enough of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts