Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen several members here with the Hood Scoops on their SSR's and wanted to ask, are they just for the "cool" factor or do they actually do anything beneficial for the intake system or to better cool or ???

·
Premium Member
842 Posts

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,898 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
I had mine changes after a deer and the R collided. I went with the MPD scoop style and am pleased with it.

It was cheaper than a new OEM. I get no wiggle from it and it finished fine.

The scoop style funnels the air directly onto my filter. That can't hurt.

Dave

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
S2NAZ, are you talking about the scoops that sit on top of the hood or the ones that open up the "CHEVROLET" emblem?

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,898 Posts
S2NAZ, are you talking about the scoops that sit on top of the hood or the ones that open up the "CHEVROLET" emblem?

Mine is in the front and replaces the Chevrolet emblem. That is where the filter is and in the cold air package kit it closes off the engine compartment so no hot air can get into the filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Danno,

Google search... MPD1. They sell some. Not cheap.

Or, if your so inclined, you can modify your own!!

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, thanks for the responses. Answers the question about need and necessity versus, esthetics. Looks like there is some functional practicality.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
"Looks like there is some functional practicality."

Perhaps. But from all I've read and heard, the stock intake is quite adequate unless you've modified the hell out of the engine. And for the cost of a hood replacement, you could buy a bunch of other "go fast" goodies that would help more.

But on the plus side, the scoops sure look cool.

just my $.02

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
240 Gordy....great minds and taste think alike....Black is a great canvas to paint with. Thank you to VOODOOO and Guzzi Guy for the nice comments as well. Wishing all of you Fanaticals? a safe and prosperous New Year??

C

·
0 Posts
Cool Cowl Ckup!

240 Gordy....great minds and taste think alike....Black is a great canvas to paint with. Thank you to VOODOOO and Guzzi Guy for the nice comments as well. Wishing all of you Fanaticals�� a safe and prosperous New Year����
Nice, let me weigh in a little here. This scoop was made by George ZZR. I know because I'm him.
I t is not "One off" like Dane says, I sold about 10-15 of them.
His is non functional. For those willing to put a little work into it it can be made functional.
See video here:
https://youtu.be/8cJn2Gh9wZg

George
ZZR

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Yeah George, functional after I had my repaint and reman of the Hood. Funny, if you made 15-20 hoods where did they get too? Did they all have the extra special 5/8” bumper bolt enclosed in the hood as well? Thank you for the opportunity to review your work. Once my body man finished it was no longer a hood built by ZZR. Please don’t take credit where credit is not due.

OLDxR
Dane Jolley

One additional comment....I don’t believe a lot of your BS about making amends to those you screwed over. A leopard can’t change its spots.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts