Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,060 Posts
Didn't think of that. Is it necessary?
When Steve Fenner at LST created those brackets in the 2005-2006 time frame, he put the two little 3/16” holes in the back side to pop rivet the bracket to the inner fender. It was an idea with the right intention, but was horrible to accomplish. When I started carrying the struts in 2006, Steve confessed to me that he had abandoned the idea of requiring those two pop rivets in each side. He had found that putting the right number of large diameter washers between the inner and outer fender and then clamping firmly with the single 8mm hardware set was sufficient.

In all the years I have been selling them, I have never once put those pop rivets into the fenders. That said, I believe you can find people who will want to install two fasteners under there. I think a pair of self-drilling stainless screws into that thick inner fender steel would be the fastener of my choice..... fairly easy to install......

Let’s be sure that we are only talking about fastening the LST brackets..... there is an outfit in Florida that has been selling copies of Steve’s brackets for a number of years. I have no knowledge of the fastening requirements of those brackets.

My two cents,

Mike

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When Steve Fenner at LST created those brackets in the 2005-2006 time frame, he put the two little 3/16” holes in the back side to pop rivet the bracket to the inner fender. It was an idea with the right intention, but was horrible to accomplish. When I started carrying the struts in 2006, Steve confessed to me that he had abandoned the idea of requiring those two pop rivets in each side. He had found that putting the right number of large diameter washers between the inner and outer fender and then clamping firmly with the single 8mm hardware set was sufficient.

In all the years I have been selling them, I have never once put those pop rivets into the fenders. That said, I believe you can find people who will want to install two fasteners under there. I think a pair of self-drilling stainless screws into that thick inner fender steel would be the fastener of my choice..... fairly easy to install......

Let’s be sure that we are only talking about fastening the LST brackets..... there is an outfit in Florida that has been selling copies of Steve’s brackets for a number of years. I have no knowledge of the fastening requirements of those brackets.

My two cents,

Mike
Thanks Mike. I appreciate your feedback and the products you sell and the service you give. Very Pleased! Dennis

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
My set came from Vetteman. They still tried to turn with the bolt very tight. One hole was over a larger hole in the fender and couldn't be used. Looking back I should have pre-drilled them and re-installed them. I mean,,,,,how hard could it be to drill [2] holes? Well as you stated, very hard to get to with a regular size drill. I only drilled until the fender started to show.......Then used self tapping S.S. screws. I got [2] in the driver's side. That bracket never moves. I only got one in the passenger side. The 2nd needed an angle drill. I finally found a drill at the flee market that matched my battery pack. When I went to drill the 2nd hole for the passenger side [the] one screw was holding the bracket very straight. Still quite a bit of stuff to move to [even] get the angle drill in place. SO-I put it off for another day? That day has never come. One screw is all that is needed? I doubt that there would be any failure with just the one bolt? Still when I open the hood I ask myself, when are you going to finish this install. I would never leave a bolt out of a motorcycle..........but that's another whole story.............bottom line, I would have at least one [screw] in each side. Not so much a rivet...?

Birdmans

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My set came from Vetteman. They still tried to turn with the bolt very tight. One hole was over a larger hole in the fender and couldn't be used. Looking back I should have pre-drilled them and re-installed them. I mean,,,,,how hard could it be to drill [2] holes? Well as you stated, very hard to get to with a regular size drill. I only drilled until the fender started to show.......Then used self tapping S.S. screws. I got [2] in the driver's side. That bracket never moves. I only got one in the passenger side. The 2nd needed an angle drill. I finally found a drill at the flee market that matched my battery pack. When I went to drill the 2nd hole for the passenger side [the] one screw was holding the bracket very straight. Still quite a bit of stuff to move to [even] get the angle drill in place. SO-I put it off for another day? That day has never come. One screw is all that is needed? I doubt that there would be any failure with just the one bolt? Still when I open the hood I ask myself, when are you going to finish this install. I would never leave a bolt out of a motorcycle..........but that's another whole story.............bottom line, I would have at least one [screw] in each side. Not so much a rivet...?

Birdmans
Thanks for the additional info. I will certainly keep my eye on them.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,060 Posts

Birdmans
Hey Birdmans,

Yes, the set that you have is a copy of the ones from LST that I spoke of earlier. The LST brackets are a bit heartier and the hardware kit provided has enough large stainless fender washers to put in between the outer and inner fender on both sides, as well as covering the top side of the fender where the stainless M8 buttonhead goes down through.

The only time I have seen the LST mount rotate is when the person doing the install did not get enough fender washers between the two to provide a good solid clamping of the bracket. You have, however, just caused me to make a product improvement to the LST fender brackets that I ship out of here....... Beginning with the batch I have, I am going to apply just enough of a very thin, double sided adhesive to the top surface of the fender bracket. This will do two things.... 1- it will keep the bracket from rotating when installed..... and (most important) 2- it will hold the bracket in place while the hardware is tightened.... I have to go change my instructions today...

All my best to you. Thanks for triggering the change in my offerings.

Happy Easter,

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts