Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,695 Posts
Al Corelli said:
Does anyone know if the gas cylinders from the 05s can be retrofitted to the 03 and 04s?

Seems that it would be a nice change from the "Hyundai-esque" hood prop.
WOW - New Rochelle - I went to Pelham Memorial High School. I think you kicked our ass in football.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Anemic Hood Support

Just spoke to a rep at chevy 800 222 1020 in regard to the hood prop.

They are unaware of our concerns and of a possible fix.

There is no recall at this time. They are probably waiting for someone to be injured before they do acknowledge the poorly engineered hood prop.

It was suggested for those with concerns to call and voice them so that they will acknowledge and get someone somewhere to work on a remedy.

Please call them and hopefully no one will be cleaved by the hood on steroids.

Sandy :flag

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,319 Posts
surprised

BlackSSR03 said:

There is no recall at this time. They are probably waiting for someone to be injured before they do acknowledge the poorly engineered hood prop.

It was suggested for those with concerns to call and voice them so that they will acknowledge and get someone somewhere to work on a remedy.

Really surprised that the chevy rep didn't know this was a concern...before I purchased my SSR I checked the NHTSA website and the hood prop was the first SSR issue I read about so I know there have been complaints made...maybe not to the "right" person?

Randi :)

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Some thoughts about retrofitting.

You can buy all the parts needed to retrofit the 03-4 except for the upper bracket.

That part, in engineering speak, is an inseparable component and, cannot be specified for purchase as an individual part. (GM gets them whenever they buy a complete hood.)

The 05 hood, which would have the upper brackets can be purchased. So if you ever have a reason to replace the hood of an 03-4, buy the 05 hood. Once apon a time, the strut and lower bracket part numbers were posted on this site. (But I am excercising my right to be lazy about searching for them.) ;) So the path is clear for any one truly desperate to have 05 struts.

Does anyone here know which GM supplier produces the 05 hoods? We might be able to contact someone there directly about getting those brackets, but I'm sure they would not desire to sell ones and twos. We would need to buy in lot sizes.

·
Registered
260 Posts
hood support

This isnt to be misconstrued as an option, its a matter of safety and a defect in design.

The weight of the hood and the arm that is supposed to be its support are MISMATCHED and a hazard.

Chevy should step up and engineer a change and protect the owner of the car and those that work under the hood.

I would hate to be a GM employee changing a part and be injured by a poorly designed GM part or an owner topping of his fluids and have this prop fail, all because of a couple of dollars.

A couple of struts and brackets would be a cheap fix, and may avert a calamity.

Just my opinion.

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,153 Posts
BlackSSR03 said:
This isnt to be misconstrued as an option, its a matter of safety and a defect in design.

The weight of the hood and the arm that is supposed to be its support are MISMATCHED and a hazard.

Chevy should step up and engineer a change and protect the owner of the car and those that work under the hood.

I would hate to be a GM employee changing a part and be injured by a poorly designed GM part or an owner topping of his fluids and have this prop fail, all because of a couple of dollars.

A couple of struts and brackets would be a cheap fix, and may avert a calamity.

Just my opinion.

Do a search on this. We have discussed it in depth in several other threads. And yes, we feel it is a problem.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
Dear BlackSSR03. The hood prop rod is not a hazzard or a safety issue. If you have had a problem with the prop rod not holding up the hood, then someone has probably shut the hood with the prop rod up and bent the rod. After you try to straighten it out after being bent, it is never as strong as it originally was.

The gas struts are better, but we did not have time to engineer them for the original production timing.

ASC makes the hoods. You should be able to buy '05 hoods from GM Service Parts.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Buying a hood

The SSR I bought has a hood, and its all paid for. The hood was attached to the rest of the car.
I dont believe its the consumers responsibilty to engineer a part to correct an engineering error/defect.
They have recalls because latches dont latch, brakes dont brake, paint doesnt shine, and transmissions shift when they want.Given your reaction to a factory error, they should think of selling the cars as kits.
We would first purchase parts at our own risk, then when they arent adequate we have the option at additional cost, purchase a safer part.
If that thesis is followed , they should also provide inferior tires, and provide us an outlet to purchase safe and adequate set.
In my opinion, the design of this part is flawed, given the weight it has to support.
They recognized this inadequacy of their initial design, and in due time promptly repaired it.
The purchasers of the initial run of SSRs deserve the same protection as the newer SSR owners, yes?
It is my opinion that one day there will be a news item that will tragically report an incident with this FLAW and then they will have a recall and repair this TICKING BOMB.
We bought a car to provide us a care free satisfying experience.
The car is LESS than care free ( 4 visits to dealer for warranty service in 2.5 months) , opening the hood and depending on that metal noodle to hold up a massive guillotine hood, is to say the least a bit frightening;not satisfying.
I love my BlackSSR03, but have trepidations.
Just my opinion :flag

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
Someone else asked about who made the hood relative to considering adding struts to their vehicle. I am not advocating that you take any action with yours. If you are afraid, then don't open the hood. The prop rod was engineered to work with the hood and it does that just fine. The struts are an enhancement not a replacement for a defect.
Ranting about the prop rod also does not make it defective.

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,319 Posts
freezer said:
Dear BlackSSR03. The hood prop rod is not a hazzard or a safety issue. If you have had a problem with the prop rod not holding up the hood, then someone has probably shut the hood with the prop rod up and bent the rod. After you try to straighten it out after being bent, it is never as strong as it originally was. .

My hood prop has a slight curve in it...is it meant to be this way or perfectly straight? It was this way when the :ssr was purchased.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ranting

freezer said:
Someone else asked about who made the hood relative to considering adding struts to their vehicle. I am not advocating that you take any action with yours. If you are afraid, then don't open the hood. The prop rod was engineered to work with the hood and it does that just fine. The struts are an enhancement not a replacement for a defect.
Ranting about the prop rod also does not make it defective.
Sir
When is expressing ones opinion "ranting"
Your reaction tends to make me believe that there is something amiss.
Is there denial of a possible situation, or just a tendency by some to wish a situation away.
Im not certain but I do believe that I am not the only individual that has expressed his concern, or " Ranted "about this issue.
You may be quite certain when I do get to rant, I will, and I will be heard.
SSR purchasers have also ranted about their Tops. They have ranted about their A/C. They have ranted about their antennas. Rantings were also heard about water intrusion. Rantings were picked up in regard to unrelaibel service at dealerships etc.
Sir, Im utilizing my right as well as yours to express a concern.
I have paid good money for that right! It would be wrong for anyone to twist and distort that expression in a derogatory manner.
I have that right, you wouldnt deny me that, or would you?
God Bless America :flag :flag :flag :flag and MY RANTING RITES

·
Premium Member
3,695 Posts
BlackSSR03 said:

Whole bunch of us called Chevy and also lodged our concerns with the NHTSA last year. If they don't know about it, they ain't listening

·
Premium Member
3,695 Posts
Al Corelli said:
Went to Mamaroneck. We kicked everybody's butt in football. But I played Lacrosse.

Just passed your high scool a couple of hours ago. Still standing strong.

Graduated in 80.
Yeah - saw it last year. I graduated in '62 - but played against Mamaroneck every year. We were pretty even then. When to college at Syracuse - EVERYBODY played Lacrosse :lol :lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Went to Westchester Community College. They had a bar on Campus. The rest is just a blur...

houtex said:
Yeah - saw it last year. I graduated in '62 - but played against Mamaroneck every year. We were pretty even then. When to college at Syracuse - EVERYBODY played Lacrosse :lol :lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.