Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had a problem with the Chevy insignia on the hood breaking. Had my oil changed last week and the mechanic broke it! Anyone have any ideas to prevent this?:black:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Deltona

Hey Poppa I too am in Deltona! Brought the truck into Boulevard Tire for oil change and the damn mechanic yanked the plastic Chevrolet bar off! They are ordering a new one, hope they can find ine. Have to say pretty poor design to make it out of plastic:mad

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey Poppa I too am in Deltona! Brought the truck into Boulevard Tire for oil change and the damn mechanic yanked the plastic Chevrolet bar off! They are ordering a new one, hope they can find ine. Have to say pretty poor design to make it out of plastic:mad
Get some "J-B Weld Quick" and just put the pieces back to gather with a big glob under each of the bolt pieces, works great and strong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually the mechanic used JB Weld to try to fix it fell off in two hours after curing all night

·
Registered
112 Posts
Actually the mechanic used JB Weld to try to fix it fell off in two hours after curing all night
He just did a crappy job. If you put a solid glob under the bolts, and not just a dab at each end, it makes the bolts a solid piece of the emblem......
and use the "Quick" because it is more of a liquid than the stick version. You need to make a dam on each side to hold the JB in place or it runs,
I put masking tape on one side and stand the whole piece vertical, the Quick will be hard in about 5-10 min.

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
observe photos of repair

I applied fiberglass and painted it with resin to beef up the rear of the trim piece. Especially the angles that are part of the screw attachment. That is a weak spot and needs reinforcement or it will be broken by most folks that grab hard at things without regard to the hood as they slam it shut. I posted photos of the repair I did, use the search engine to find a lot on this problem and the fixes.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Sorry

Boomer
Sorry, somehow I missed this thread , and your reply if you still have the parts I can give it a try to repair it to use for a spare for you. Send me a PM and I'll give you my phone #
Dan

·
Tech Support/Research
1,431 Posts
Hood Emblem

Although this won't help an already broken emblem, I make a point of lifting my hood by the two steel front hood edges, and tell any technician to do the same. I also advise not to slam the hood, just push it down to the catch and give it one more gentle push to secure it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone, they found a new one and I'm all set. Already repaired the damaged one and now have a spare. Thanks again for all the great input!!

·
#1 SidePipe Club
3,299 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Closing the Hood.

"Although this won't help an already broken emblem, I make a point of lifting my hood by the two steel front hood edges, and tell any technician to do the same. I also advise not to slam the hood, just push it down to the catch and give it one more gentle push to secure it. "

I go one more step, I carry three peices of blue masking tape with "DO NOT USE TO OPEN !" that I put on the hood emblem, and two that say"HAND HERE TO CLOSE !" that I put on the hood edges. I put these on the hood each time I take it to the dealer or for service. :black:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
19 Participants
Antique
Chevy SSR Forum
Chevy SSR Forum - where SSR fans discuss modifications, wheel & tire tech, performance and so much more!
Full Forum Listing