Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
no parts yet

injns said:
Has anyone put 05 hood struts on an 04 or props?
Unless GM has made the parts available, it appears to be a hopeless cause to order the parts. Even though they have assigned part numbers to them, there appears to be no vendors making them for the retro fit.

Here are the part numbers (2) STRUTS # 15212390 (2) BRACKETS # 15236884 AND (2) BRACKETS# 15212393.

These are straight from the 05' parts numbers,

If you find them available, please let us all know.

50'nut and daisy

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
BobA, my husband and I were discussing this over the weekend. It doesn't look that difficult to install we would just need to find a supplier for the struts and I remember Beer finding them for the bed maybe the same company would have these too. The holes are under the hood, only need a bracket machined and the 03 and 04's will be good to go.

B

·
0 Posts
wildcat66

check an 05 around there that bracket kinda sandwitches between the 2 peices of metal also has some lenght to it to support the flex pressure applyed by the strut. probly the same strut that is used on one of the hatchbacks gm has made over the last few years. they are not light either. I can get the # off one of the strutts if you need it :thumbs :ssr :flag :seeya

·
Registered
407 Posts
i seem to remember Freezer or one of the other members who really know our ssr's state on an earlier post that adding the struts isn't as simple as it looks cause they may cause additional damage to another part of the vehicle based on stress or something like that (if i remember correctly).

that hood scares the heck out of me so i use a 2x4.....

i'd like to know for sure also cause struts would be #1 on my list.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hood Strut Kit

I'VE BEEN TALKING WITH A SSR ENGINEER ABOUT THE HOOD STRUT INSTALLATION ON MY 04. AS EVERYONE KNOWS, THE PART #'S ARE OUT THERE, BUT GM IS NOT RELEASING ANYTHING BUT THE STRUTS. AFTER MUCH DISCUSSION IN LANSING, THEY ARE AWARE THAT WE WANT TO RETRO THIS 05 PART TO OUR 03 & 04'S, SO THEY ARE MAKING UP "RETRO KITS" FOR US EARLIER OWNERS. THE ENGINEER IS GOING TO E-MAIL ME AS SOON AS THE KIT IS FOR SALE WITH THE GM PART #. :seeya THEN THIS LITTLE GUY WILL HAVE TWO HANDS FREE ( NOT ONE
LIFTING THAT HEAVY HOOD!

·
Yes, I have an ATTITUDE !
1,678 Posts
Hood Strut Kit

They better have enough in supply when they release it because I think everyone will want one , including me ! :yesnod

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
Marc mentioned something about a retrofit kit becoming available about a month ago. No release date was given.

·
Registered
123 Posts
hood strut brackets

circlek454 said:
I'VE BEEN TALKING WITH A SSR ENGINEER ABOUT THE HOOD STRUT INSTALLATION ON MY 04. AS EVERYONE KNOWS, THE PART #'S ARE OUT THERE, BUT GM IS NOT RELEASING ANYTHING BUT THE STRUTS. AFTER MUCH DISCUSSION IN LANSING, THEY ARE AWARE THAT WE WANT TO RETRO THIS 05 PART TO OUR 03 & 04'S, SO THEY ARE MAKING UP "RETRO KITS" FOR US EARLIER OWNERS. THE ENGINEER IS GOING TO E-MAIL ME AS SOON AS THE KIT IS FOR SALE WITH THE GM PART #. :seeya THEN THIS LITTLE GUY WILL HAVE TWO HANDS FREE ( NOT ONE
LIFTING THAT HEAVY HOOD!
When I ordered the struts and 4 brackets from a GM dealer, I got the struts AND the fender side brackets. I was told the hood side brackets were on back order. I didn't want to weld those top brackets on anyways, so I won't mind waiting for the retrofit kit for the dealer to install. Is this supposed to be free or will we have to buy it and install it ourselves?

Jason

·
Registered
277 Posts
HOOD STRUTS
Not everyone will want them, I know I won't. Think the hood prop adds to the time period the truck is supposed to represent. As for the rod not being able to support the hood, I see no way my rod would bend under the weight or come loose if a wind caught the hood. It's possible some hood support rods were not tempered properly, but I'd think there would have been a recall. Get some exercise, the hood isn't all that heavy to lift.

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,648 Posts
Retro Fit Kit

dingbat said:
Marc mentioned something about a retrofit kit becoming available about a month ago. No release date was given.
That was back earlier in the year when I had visited with Bob Walczyk in Detroit. He had told me that GM was going to introduce a retro-fit strut-kit for the 03 & 04s. I will follow up with Bob W. to see where GM is with this kit!

Below is the link to where I first learned about the Retro Struts for our hood was coming out. It is in reply #3
HOOD:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hood Strut Kits Available

Dear SSR Owners,
http://www.lstechnologies.ca/contact.htm
We do have the Hood Support Kits available for the 2003-2004 SSR'S. These are available in all Stainless Steel Kits and Regular Black Mild Steel Kits. Please go to the link above and send us an e-mail and we will contact you with the details.
Regards.
Stephen Fenner
President - Lift Support Technologies.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Pretty much everybody in Houston got together at Guru's metal bending shop where he made the upper brackets and, along with gmpartsguy's '05 strut purchases, we made it work. Wouldn't have happened without those two guys, though.

·
Registered
255 Posts
GM/Chevy SSR Hood Strut Part Numbers

GM/Chevy does list all the parts needed for the SSR Hood Struts so you add them to an 03 or 04 SSR, except for the hood brackets. GM/Chevy doesn't sell the hood brackets alone. They only come as part of the complete 05 or 06 hood, so the only way to get the hood brackets from GM/Chevy is to buy a complete hood either new or from a wreck. Your only other option is make them yourself, if you're handy, or buy the hood brackets that come from MPD (www.mpd-inc.net) and maybe LST. Contact them on availability. (MPD was selling them for $35 at the 2006 WDC)

The Chevy parts needed to make you own kit (minus the hood brackets) are:

15212390 for the 05-06 Chevy SSR strut - cost about $60.39 each or get -
From gmpartsdirect:
GM PART # 15212390
CATEGORY: Hood Panel Hardware
PACK QTY: 1 CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $60.37
OUR PRICE: $35.79
DESCRIPTION: STRUT

15236884 for the 05-06 Chevy SSR fender bracket - cost about $21.00 each or get -
From gmpartsdirect:
GM PART # 15236884
GM LIST: $21.00
OUR PRICE: $12.89
DESCRIPTION: BRACKET

Note: I have heard that these are getting hard to come by. However, that can't last forever, as GM is supposed to stock parts for 10 years after they pull a car from production. They should become available again.

Now the Chevy parts computer also shows a spacer at the fender bracket. I believe this may not be necessary because I can't see any spacer on 05 & 06 SSRs that I have viewed. Plus it costs twice as much as the fender bracket. I have installed the Chevy fender brackets on an 04 and I didn't use any spacer and it works just fine like the 05 and 06's do. You do see that the M8 bolt has a very large washer which covers the fender's sheet metal. I think that washer replaced the spacer.

This spacer is shown has part number:
15236882 for the 05-06 Chevy SSR and at a cost of $47.90 each or get -
From gmpartsdirect:
GM PART # 15236882
GM LIST: $47.90
OUR PRICE: $28.40
DESCRIPTION: SPACER

Chevy also shows a black plastic "retainer" type button going through each fender bracket (the hole in the bracket is slightly larger than 1/2 inch) into a 1/2 inch hole underneath at the fender. I installed my bracket on my fender and the holes just about line up exactly. I have looked at 05s and there is a round "black plastic retainer" plug that attaches the fender bracket to the fender. Chevy doesn't list a part number for this and it says "not separately" (NS) priced under the parts listing. I have tried black plastic "retainers" from Pep Boys and they don't fit, too small a diameter. You need a diameter larger than 1/2 inch and I couldn't find one commerically. I don't think this is needed but would be a nice to have if available. The bolt at the top really does the securing on the fender bracket.

The bolt's part number is 11519093. However, the parts guy said that they have to order them in quantity of ten so he suggested just go to the auto parts or hardware store and buy what you need. The size is M8x1.25x25. I have seen them at Pep Boys with a washer, so they are available elsewhere. However, you can get it -
From gmpartsdirect:
GM PART # 11519093
CATEGORY: All
GM LIST: $4.04
OUR PRICE: $2.39
DESCRIPTION: BOLT

In summary using GM parts from a dealer it will cost about $120 (2-struts) plus $42 (2- fender brackets) for a total of $162, plus get your own bolts, plus any tax. (I don't think you need a spacer)

Or from gmpartsdirect: about $103, with bolts, plus shipping costs (I don't think you need a spacer) Their website is www.gmpartsdirect.com.

All that would be needed is the hood brackets and you should be able to get those from MPD for $35 and maybe LST or get your own from either a wreck or make them yourself if you're handy. For the positioning of the hood brackets, all you have to do is look at an 05 or 06 hood and you'll be able to fiqure it out close enough. Check other threads which have more information and photo's.

The only extra guidance I can give is you need to use steel rivets, 3/16 in, to mount the hood brackets, which means use a air or pneumatic rivet gun when securing the hood brackets as a hand rivet gun won't be able to get them tight enough.

You can also try www.alldiscountparts.com instead of www.gmpartsdirect.com, although their prices are a little more than gmpartsdirect.

:flag

1 - 17 of 17 Posts