Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked up another thread but am not clear. I hate to ask this so as to seem as ignorant of electronics as I am. I want to put a battery tender on my truck this winter, which will be it's first with me. I have used a tender for years on my corvette. I know I can go under the truck to the battery and hook it up. I also know from under hood there is a terminal (something) mounted on the left front fender. Specifically, how do I hook my tender up there? I would rather hook it up under the hood as it is just handier for me in relation to the wall outlet, etc. All assuming I can use the under hook electrical connection I am referring to.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
I use the outlet in the bed, used it since I bought my first SSR in 2006 with no problems. I use the electrical outlet in the ceiling that my garage door opener plugs into.

·
Super Moderator
13,908 Posts
Technically the fenders are referred to as if you are sitting in the driver seat, so the red box is on the RF fender
Not meaning to correct but to make sure my reference is interpreted correctly
I think the negative clip on the battery tender is supposed to be connected by the alternator but that is about 4 feet from the box
I connect the negative to a protruding flange on the right front of the block - not sure if this is the best way but it works for us.

I recall Doophus connects every day to the rear compartment as well.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I plug mine in under the steering wheel, this way I never forget to take it out before I drive off. Did that once when I had it plugged in the bed outlet destroying the plug for the tender but fortunately no damage to the R.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
tender

My tender is a semi-permanent mount. It has ring-lets at the end of the black and red wires. I put the positive on the Aux power stud under the red cover on the right front fender, and the ground to the body ground wire. The tender is tied down under the hood.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I also use the outlet in the bed. I run the cord out the back between the tailgate and the body. There plenty of room between the metal and weatherstriping.

I made a sign that I place on the steering wheel that reminds me that the Battery Tender is hooked up. Yes, I also have driven off with it hooked up but thankfully no damage. You sure feel stupid, though!

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I do what you are describing. My tender has alligator clips. I put the red one on the nut inside the red box that is on the right inside fender as Cash described. I use a bolt that stand up near the radiator as the ground. I tried other grounds, but that gives a good or better connection and matches the length of the connecting wires.
I leave the hood up.
At one time I was using a battery charger that was switchable to "trickle charging" and connecting to the battery. But I had to throw it away. It became too flat and squished all out of shape. :surprise: My tire was okay though.>:)

·
My First Permagrin !
567 Posts
Hi Everyone ,
I use the auxiliary dash outlet on passenger side .
I hang it overhead with a bungee when the top is down ,
When the top is up out the passenger window . Works for me !

·
Slingshot Rules!
71,434 Posts
I have been using the same system as Jersey Red (except I rarely put the top up) for years without incident.

The major advantage of using the dash AUX receptacle and then draping the cord over the door with the window down is it keeps me from absentmindedly trying back out while the tender is still hooked up.

Also, if the application is kept simple, you are more likely to use it after each and every trip.

! :banghead ! :willy: ! :banghead ! :willy: ! :banghead !

·
Proud Original Owner
18,156 Posts
I have the battery tender with the clips for attachment under the hood & used it for a couple of years that way.
After Doophus' recommendation last year, I bought the plug in attachment for it and like it much better for the reasons stated above by Doophus.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I use the outlet in the bed of the truck. I run the cord out the back between the tailgate and the body. There is plenty of room between the rubber weather striping so you are able to close the tail gate. The 110 outlet is behind the R on the wall so I walk pass it and unplug. I have done it under the hood also but prefer the outlet in the rear bed. I use the battery tender every time I am not using the R.

·
Ret. Air Force
3,720 Posts
All good tips and techniques for me to remember!!
(I am bookmarking this thread in the case that I ever stop driving my R weekly and it becomes a garage queen!!)
Oh yeah, you know I'm talking to you Curt.
:wink2:...:pokey:....:cheers

·
Premium Member
31,148 Posts
My tender is a semi-permanent mount. It has ring-lets at the end of the black and red wires. I put the positive on the Aux power stud under the red cover on the right front fender, and the ground to the body ground wire. The tender is tied down under the hood.
I have done the same thing. And to prevent me from "accidentally" backing out... I just leave the hood up.

And I gave up on those crappy "Battery Tenders". I switched to CTEK and won't look back. I've been able to rescue batteries that the BT doesn't even see connected.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
I have done the same thing. And to prevent me from "accidentally" backing out... I just leave the hood up.

And I gave up on those crappy "Battery Tenders". I switched to CTEK and won't look back. I've been able to rescue batteries that the BT doesn't even see connected.
CTEK? I just bought a $30.00 Die-Hard 6V/12V Battery Charger & Maintainer. I will be using the 12V accessory plug.

:black: :smile2:

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,351 Posts

CTEK? I just bought a $30.00 Die-Hard 6V/12V Battery Charger & Maintainer. I will be using the 12V accessory plug.

:black: :smile2:
Do the either CTEK or Die-Hard support multiple vehicles at the same time?

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,273 Posts
Since I have Mike's spare tire kit, my battery is behind the right rear tire. I hooked a quick connect/disconnect cable directly to the side-mount battery terminals. When driving, I clip the plug cap around my rear fender stabilissr rod (fender stabilizer) and then into the plug to keep it secure. I place my battery minder on the ground near the driver's side running board so I see it getting into the truck. Also I place a parking cone behind the truck as a secondary reminder to disconnect the battery minder.

Attachments

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,736 Posts
I think as we get older, we need to have these "reminders" so that we don't inadvertently damage our beloved R. I know I've had at least one close call.

Dave

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,898 Posts
That's a great idea. Where would I find the adapter for the auxiliary ports??
Any place that sells battery tenders should either stock the different plug in adapters or should be able to get you one. Got my whole set up from BATTERIES PLUS store.

Reactions: gaindian
1 - 20 of 21 Posts