Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay just got the SSR today so this may not be as hard as it seems. When I had my Vette I would just raise the hood then hook up the Battery Tender and forget it. I'm reading that the SSR has connections for jumping if needed but the battery under the passenger side ?

Anyone who has hooked up a Battery Tender please let me know how to do so, thanks.:banghead
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,141 Posts
WELL. I have my tender sitting right here in the box as well. I have not installed it because of all that goofy remote stuff as well. I suppose we could use the clips and just lay the unit in there somewhere but I would like to hard wire mine in. If I do that I will have to climb under the truck to make the atachments every time I want to move it. I guess im going to just do the wire clip thing for now until I come up with a different idea to attach it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
152 Posts
The trunk

I use an accessory plug and plug it into the outlet in the truck bed, the wire comes out the bottom of the tailgate. This backfeeds into the battery.

drbob
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,215 Posts
drbob said:
I use an accessory plug and plug it into the outlet in the truck bed, the wire comes out the bottom of the tailgate. This backfeeds into the battery.

drbob
This is the way I did my hook up. Easy and works great.:glol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,638 Posts
drbob said:
I use an accessory plug and plug it into the outlet in the truck bed, the wire comes out the bottom of the tailgate. This backfeeds into the battery.

drbob
DrBob could you give a little more detail on how this is done. It sounds like a great idea. After how long of a period of time do you recommend that you should use a battery tender. By this I mean if your SSR sits 1,2. or 3 weeks or more. Even though I just got my 06 Black Tie I try to start or drive it once a week; weather permitting here in Chicago.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
152 Posts
Battery Charger

I use the charger from Walmart, Schumacher I believe is the name. It monitors the battery and charges when it drops to a certain state, then will turn off and monitor till a charge is needed. I've used mine over the last 2 winters when I've stored the SSR.

The charger comes with two different leads. I took one, cut off the ends and attached a 12 volt accessory plug to the end. The cord comes out of the tailgate with it closed and I hook it up and forget about it till spring.

drbob
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,638 Posts
drbob said:
I use the charger from Walmart, Schumacher I believe is the name. It monitors the battery and charges when it drops to a certain state, then will turn off and monitor till a charge is needed. I've used mine over the last 2 winters when I've stored the SSR.

The charger comes with two different leads. I took one, cut off the ends and attached a 12 volt accessory plug to the end. The cord comes out of the tailgate with it closed and I hook it up and forget about it till spring.

drbob
Thanks drbob, I forgot there was an ac outlet in the cargo area. It all makes since now. I may not need a trickle charger this year since I just got this great vehicle; it's hard not to drive it once a week no matter what the weather. I'm just so hooked on it. I'm trying not to make it a Garage Queen. Lord knows I'm dying to let the top down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Hello,
I like the battery tender brand for me. You just hook it up and leave it. It will monitor
the voltage and charge your battery only when it needs it.
.
The trickle charge has been talked about in this thread.
http://ssrfanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5453&highlight=tender

I also use the rear bed cigarette lighter adapter. Here is the link where I bought mine. http://www.halonmarketing.com/mall/Battery Tender.htm Look under output cables.

It is designed to work with the battery tender.

Pretzel~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hoking up the Battery Tender

From Pretzels thread looks like you would just buy the AC adapter and plug it into the outlet in the cargo bed. Plug the Battery Tender into that and plug the Tender into yout outlet...SLICK. thanks DR Bob and Pretzel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Battery Tender

Well the way i hooked up my battery tender was went to Napa auto parts got a two sided bolt one side is same size as battery cable bolts the other side is smaller for wire connectors.Just take off bolts on battery cable put new bolt in to secure battery cable hook battery tender wire connectors to smaller side then put your wire running through battery box cover the cut out is alredyy there put battery box cover back on wrap remaining wire around trailer hitch there you are reay to plug in at will works great.:jester
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
364 Posts
Battery Tender: Piece of cake. I have one now connected under my new cover which came yesterday. In fact, very nice cover from Calif. Covers. Back to Tender. You guys are making a big thing out of nothing. Pop your rear lid, plug your tender into the Cig. lighter, then plug into 110 someplace, close your tailgate but don't latch and forget it. My only concern is can I leave this connected full time all winter. I haven't driven my SSR or even started it in couple months now. What's your comments around the site regarding this matter. Go Blue, Scheide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Last year my Vette sat from October until March with the Stabil in the tank and a Batery Tender hooked up. It started right up last spring and the battery was fuly charged.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,767 Posts
Timbrr said:
Okay just got the SSR today so this may not be as hard as it seems. When I had my Vette I would just raise the hood then hook up the Battery Tender and forget it. I'm reading that the SSR has connections for jumping if needed but the battery under the passenger side ?

Anyone who has hooked up a Battery Tender please let me know how to do so, thanks.:banghead
In Arizona we just put the top down and drive them. It keeps the battery in great shape.:glol
 

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
Joined
·
8,646 Posts
Timbrr said:
Last year my Vette sat from October until March with the Stabil in the tank and a Batery Tender hooked up. It started right up last spring and the battery was fuly charged.
I saw a Black & Decker "Smart" Battery Charger. Has anyone else seen or used this product before?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
 

Attachments

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,141 Posts
Marc NY said:
I saw a Black & Decker "Smart" Battery Charger. Has anyone else seen or used this product before?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
I have the B/D unit hooked up to the SSR as I write this. I also had one on my Corvette it works great. I mounted it on the side wall of the bed with Velcro and just plug it into the lighter outlet in there. These are made by "Vector" I have one of each and they are the same but the B/D unit is orange. Vector is buying the use of the B/D Moniker and the cheapest place to buy it at is of course Wal-Mart. about $18
 

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
Joined
·
1,436 Posts
Marc NY said:
I saw a Black & Decker "Smart" Battery Charger. Has anyone else seen or used this product before?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Went to WalMart and bought that one too. Now have the Schumacher and the B&D. Both work fine. I'm hanging onto the Schumacher because it has the 6V option which I'll use on my '50 Packard. Did notice the BD made a sort of high pitched noise that I didn't notice with the Schumacher.
I did like the fact the BD came with the cigarette lighter plug and also had a bigger positive ring for the option of direct connection. The Schumacher rings looked too small to me. Anyway, the plugs are the same so interchangeable between both brands.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top