Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 with 6-speed manual. I tow my bass boat with it. No problems till I pull off highway into my sub-division. Temps will rise to about 235ish. And when I back up my normal length driveway to put boat in garage having to slip clutch a little and get lined up properly (sometimes 1-3 chances) I'll get a smell which I relate to the clutch. Also temps will rise to 250. My question is how much if any damage can this do to the clutch? A lot of times I'll then take it for a quick run down the service road which brings temps down to normal. Thanks to all........

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a 2005 with 6-speed manual. I tow my bass boat with it. No problems till I pull off highway into my sub-division. Temps will rise to about 235ish. And when I back up my normal length driveway to put boat in garage having to slip clutch a little and get lined up properly (sometimes 1-3 chances) I'll get a smell which I relate to the clutch. Also temps will rise to 250. My question is how much if any damage can this do to the clutch? A lot of times I'll then take it for a quick run down the service road which brings temps down to normal. Thanks to all........
Hi, It's 6:30 here so I assume you posted this thread 1 1/2 hours ago. I've been waiting for others to chime in, but, so I'll take a stab at it. I've heard many owners on the forum talk of the stock electric fan being insufficient, or not coming on as soon as would be expected. Is your coolant bottle at the proper level? What color is your clutch fluid? I realize your mostly concerned about the clutch smell but that may not be abnormal so long as it's not a really strong smell, after all your pushing around a lot of weight. How many miles on the clutch? I'm not asking these questions to get an answer from you, just letting you know my thought process. I would be very surprised if the rise in coolant temp had anything to do with the clutch. One last question to consider. How old is the engine coolant and how does it test out. If I'm just getting to where you already are then perhaps someone else can offer something I missed.

·
Daily Driver
8,949 Posts
Yeah, pulling into the sub-division I'd assume you are then going slow and that, along with the boat, means the fan has to do the cooling. If the fan isn't doing the job it will get hot in a hurry. A run down the service road is probably fast enough to push enough air through the radiator that the fan isn't needed.

·
Premium Member
2,322 Posts
:|

My 2005 6 speed has Mikes fan setup including the aux. too. it also has the later version Corvette clutch setup too.

If you don't have these items, you need to seriously consider both of them.:wink2:

Not sure just what/how big your boat is, but if it's a fiberglas bass boat, it can be very heavy.

I had a 17 foot Skeeter years ago with a 150 Merc. on it. I pulled it with a 1980 little Toyota pickup 4WD. The ONLY way I could pull the rig out of the water and up the ramp when leaving the lake, was to shift the transfer case into low range. In normal (high range), the truck wouldn't even move, it just slipped the clutch big time.

Just sayin':nerd:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all!
1. I recently did the coolant tune up. New thermostat, gasket, cap and fluid.
2. It has 31,000 miles on it.
3. I'm pulling a 2500# boat.
4. I've been running the ac so I can hear fan running.
5. Coolant level is correct.
6. I haven't checked the clutch fluid. Need to do that this weekend!!!
This is the GREATEST forum!!!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts