Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marc, Since you are one of the General's employees I have an excellent idea for you to put in the Suggestion Box. As you are well aware, a lot of the early SSR buyers are a bit disgruntled (some more than others) with the way they were treated by GM. For the most part, we were guinea pigs. A lot of problems we incurred have been fixed, some haven't, and some changes and revisions incorporated on the 2005 model were a result of the problems we experienced. Then there's the 6.0 motor, now standard, that 2003 and 2004 owners couldn't get, and the now optional 6-spd. manual transmission. I don't need to mention the $ depreciation as it's been discussed in detail previously. I think it would be a nice gesture on the General's behalf to offer an extended warranty to the 2003 and 2004 SSR owners. A bumper-to-bumper GMPP 6 or 7 yr. 100,000 mile warranty would certainly smooth the feathers somewhat of the early buyers, some of whom were royally raped by greedy dealers that were charging thousands of dollars over sticker price. There were only roughly 18,000 (3,300 in 2003 & 15,000 in 2004) SSR's produced which is a drop in the bucket when compared to GM's total production so the expense to GM wouldn't be that great and the public relations benefit from that gesture would be PRICELESS! If they want to nit pic then give us a warranty that covers the retractable top and its parts, the tonneau cover, power windows, Bose radio and window antenna, and all other facets that are unique to the SSR. I really worry about the top and all those hydraulics and moving parts when the standard 3 yr., 36,000 mile warranty expires. It looks awfully complex and expensive to me. My wife has a Toyota Sienna van and when some of the Sienna's developed engine sludging problems and some trans-axle problems Toyota sent all Sienna owners a letter extending the engine and trans-axle warranty to 8 yrs. and 100,000 miles. A mighty fine move on Toyota's behalf. I expect no less from GM. I do think that many SSR buyers were first time GM owners and will probably NOT be repeat GM buyers as a result of their experiences. If GM would step up to the plate and provide us with extended warranties it would certainly be a positive move that should appease and please most of us early SSR buyers. What do you think of this idea?

·
Premium Member
9,353 Posts
Hi, Red

Very well put - I agree with you regarding warranty. Most SSRs were purchased as toys, and get very little mileage. I also have concerns that the early buyers were taking the brunt of teething pains.

For most of us, extending warranty time would be a lot more valuable than extending mileage. GM would not see a huge number of engine/transmission claims due to high mileage - not like extending warranty on Duramaxes used as tow vehicles or for construction.

Ray

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Extended warranty

What about those of us with '03's that bought the extended warranty at time of purchase?? Do we get our money back?? :glol :glol

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,611 Posts
Messenger

HI Red,

I will be happy to send this out in tomorrows email. It doesn't hurt to ask... it is certainly worth a try, right?
:thumbs
:flag

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Absoulutely Yes! It's Worth A Try!

Marc, I ain't gonna hold my breath, and I do realize the chances of a postive outcome lie between slim and none, but it is worth a try. I appreciate your efforts and do hope that you understand where I'm coming from. A friendly gesture from GM would go a long way in soothing early SSR owners who feel a little bit short-changed in more ways than one. Thanx.

·
Registered
395 Posts
MARC;
Red is really onto something, this would be a real shot in the arm for all of us, besides it probably wouldn't amount to much for GM as I'm sure there aren't to many of us that are about to see how quick we can destroy ou SSRs. And I'm sure it certainly would not hurt the value any ! ! ! ! Not to mention the PR that they could generate from this sort of a gesture. :thumbs

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts
3+3+3

Houtex ... I bought the extra 3 years also. But would rather have it extended out ANOTHER three more, than get my money back.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Never buy without it.

Who would be foolish enough to purchase a first year production car without a maximum bumper to bumper extended warranty? You can't trust enough of anything without having some EXTRA PROTECTION these days. Even with the Japanese autos( newly designed models) one should be protected with an extended coverage.

I have 22,000 miles on my 03. Already, I had two radios replaced, my speedometer is out of wack and my dash has to be pulled out the third time, my top creaks as it opens and closes( afraid that it might get stuck in the middle of the desert. so I don;t play with it as much), car rattles a lot more and is sounding more like a used car with 80+ thou miles on it.......... who knows what problems lies ahead?

You bet I am very glad that I've prepared to meet these problems. Its just pain in the A having to visit the dealer so often

·
Registered
60 Posts
I also received added years/mileage on my wifes 2004 Quest Minivan. We received a letter from Nissan extending the warranty. GM should follow the lead of Toyota and Nissan. :yesnod

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
houtex said:
I bought the 5 year - 60K
:agree

I did too houtex. With a brand new design (and that hydra/mechanical top), I wanted to relax and enjoy it, not worry about fixing anything!

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts
Intent

Just received my “protection plan contract” in the mail. Total plus 72/80 exp 12/22/10
Reading the “Parts and services not covered” section, it states, ”convertible or vinyl top,” At the dealer it was explained parts that wear normally in normal use, and he gave example of tune up parts, or tires, How do you read the intent of the “convertible or vinyl top”

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would read this as the top itself not the mechanism controlling it. But it s something I would call the warranty company on very quickly for clarification. And, of course as anyone knows who has dealt with these companies, get it in writing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Can you extend warranty through GM as long you are still in warranty period?

Cost?

I wouldnt buy anything other than the extended GM warranty.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I bought the 7 year 100K bumper to bumper for all the same reasons. I am going to run it for a 100,000 miles then turn it into a custom rod project. :cool :cool

1 - 15 of 15 Posts