Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading the threads about new valve covers and coil relocation brackets with interest. What I have been wondering about is this...

I understand the need and want to dress up this area once the engine beauty cover is taken off when a Magnacharger has been installed. But why not install a coil cover like on Ford modular engines? The 4.6 DOHC has a similar coil on plug system, with the coils mounted on the valve covers. But Ford uses coil covers instead of an engine beauty cover. (they do us engine covers on other models, T-bird, most of the Lincoln line, and the Crown Vic)

In these attached pics of a supercharged Marauder with the 4.6, you can see Ford Racing polished aluminim coil covers on each valve cover. Why couldn't we do something similar, have CNC made cover done with SSR cut into the surface? I realise mounting points would have to be machined into the valve covers, but wouldn't this work?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
I started a business in 1999 where I made the fuel rail covers in fiberglass and carbon fiber for the Camaro and Firebirds with the LS1 engines. They looked real nice and were a great project until they discontinued the vehicles. The covers were similar to the covers that you see on the Corvette. I started the project of the Valve Covers and Coil Brackets because I wanted to be able to see the engine. The market is saturated with companies now making covers and I just wanted to do something different this time. Check around and you will find alot of companies that make "Fuel Rail Covers" that are both nice looking and functional. There is a guy on e-bay that does some real nice aluminum one you can find by doing a search for fuel rail covers.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2005SSR6Speed said:
Check around and you will find alot of companies that make "Fuel Rail Covers" that are both nice looking and functional. There is a guy on e-bay that does some real nice aluminum one you can find by doing a search for fuel rail covers.
I looked at a shot of an LS2 crate engine and realised that I was wrong to think the LS2 had coils that were "similar" to the Ford 4.6 DOHC. They aren't. The Ford unit is much smaller (for whatever reason that's not important to this discussion) and can be covered by a smallish cover. The ones you linked to are huge! They have to be because from the look of the stock crate LS2, the coils and wires look to be as large an area to cover up as the tops of the valve covers.

So, I admit that how you've done it - with new valve covers and coil relocation - is better, both mechanicaly and appearance wise.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Thanks for the kind comments. I was just trying to keep you from buying a set of those covers that would not fit the SSR. The aluminum covers could be made to work if you get the supercharger. I just am not sure how much would need to be done to make them fit and they are still pretty expensive for a cover.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2005SSR6Speed said:
Thanks for the kind comments. I was just trying to keep you from buying a set of those covers that would not fit the SSR. The aluminum covers could be made to work if you get the supercharger. I just am not sure how much would need to be done to make them fit and they are still pretty expensive for a cover.
You'd be shocked to know how much Ford Racing wants for their polished aluminum covers. Which scratch VERY easily, btw. $240 a pair. I paid a DISCOUNTED price of$215 for them at a FRP dealer and was happy. And they are small compared to those aftermarket coil covers on ebay.

Polished valve covers like yours? $500 plus shipping, no coil covers and you have to send them a set of OEM valve covers or they charge you a $500 core charge.

One of the more pleasant surprises was to discover mods for the SSR that are less expensive than for my old ride (or a better value)

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
I have not actually seen them except for on e-bay. They are mounted on a truck with just the center engine cover. I dont know if this will work for the SSR but I posted in a different thread a few ago that there is a member on another site that does custom painting for the truck covers. I attached a link below, it is pretty long but he does some real nice work and at a great price for the truck guys.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=351252

You can remove the passenger side valve cover and take the filler elbow off the valve cover then just install the cap alone into the valve cover so it is below the aluminum cover like the picture.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Covers

I have a set of the ones mentioned on ebay. They are not made for the SSR and will require some modification to work. I have not spent the time needed to modify them, but they are very nice looking.

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
1HOT12C said:
I have a set of the ones mentioned on ebay. They are not made for the SSR and will require some modification to work. I have not spent the time needed to modify them, but they are very nice looking.
What mods are needed?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts