Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a SSR-its already a hot rod, a convertible, and mini-truck, but I would like to see the tow limits go way up. I know its based on the truck frame so why the low tow weights? Does anyone know if the 05 will tow more? If it would, it would be the perfect ride.

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Tow limits are not based on the strength of the engine - but the cooling of the engine...

The SSR runs rather hot (other posts go into detail) - and with the shape of the front end, apparently does not get as much cooling from the air as a standard truck...

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Not only is it ....

geunther said:
Now that hurts, I may have to sell mine.
Kidding.
a mini truck, convert, roadster. It is a an "old Stude, Herbie the love bug, something that you made up yourself." It even "kinda looks like the old Chevy trucks." The SSR gets called all kinds of stuff. "Sweet" is probably best! :)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree. I won;t be towing anything with mine unless it is another SSR on a trailer, or one of those sweet looking little hot rod trailers I see some of the Prowlers or some of the earlier hot rods tow to car shows. No boats, jet ski's, lawn mower trailers, motorcycles or nothing being towed behind me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
one more pic, couldn't help myself

towed from FL via Disneyworld and Charlotte and didn't know the 2500 lbs were there unless I looked for it. It's a Casita and I highly recommend it as an SSR attachment

Attachments

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rfe1

I don't have an SSR yet, and it's just a guess; but I think the towing capacity limitation is probably due to the poor hitch design & capacities.

If you look at the system the tongue weight is limited and the attachment methods leaves much to be desired if your towing anything sizeable around.

If you mounted a class 3 hitch on the back why would anything else in the system restrict the towing capabilities? Motor has plenty of torque in fact more that the Trailblazer who shares its cousin's chassis. Trans is plenty tough. Suspension values and rear payload capacities says it should be able to handle larger tongue weights. Tire load ratings don't appear to be restrictive.

The class 3 might be tough because you have to get into the frame to access bolts and probably cut a hole behind the license plate to access the receiver.

Any thoughts from the owners out there?

THX
REF1

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
RFE1 said:
I don't have an SSR yet, and it's just a guess; but I think the towing capacity limitation is probably due to the poor hitch design & capacities.

If you look at the system the tongue weight is limited and the attachment methods leaves much to be desired if your towing anything sizeable around.

If you mounted a class 3 hitch on the back why would anything else in the system restrict the towing capabilities? Motor has plenty of torque in fact more that the Trailblazer who shares its cousin's chassis. Trans is plenty tough. Suspension values and rear payload capacities says it should be able to handle larger tongue weights. Tire load ratings don't appear to be restrictive.

The class 3 might be tough because you have to get into the frame to access bolts and probably cut a hole behind the license plate to access the receiver.

Any thoughts from the owners out there?

THX
REF1
Yeah - if you're looking to tow something get something else - this is a FUN vehicle - not a work horse. :jester :jester

·
Premium Member
9,218 Posts
Towing Capacity

I'm with you, RFE1

I don't expect it to tow like a Duramax, but it should be quite capable, except for possibly issues with cooling capacity. I don't plan to keep this one, but when the 6.o 6 speed shows up, I expect it to be a long term purchase, and will do extensive modifications.

Check the thread from 12/10/2003 about towing capacity - interesting discussion - comments by Freezer re: cooling capacity are direct from the source, and deserve careful consideration - mine and others are speculation. I do believe the truck would tow very well, just maybe not intended for long tough hauls.

It is a truck. It has the same drivetrain as the Trailblazer XT. That drivetrain tows very well.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
here's what you can tow with the SSR

http://www.tab-rv.com

Saw these driving down the Indiana Toll Road... I can't imagine there would be anything more appropriate to tow with an SSR, unless they'd have SSR matched accent colors.

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
I saw a tab trailer up close - it way over shadowed the SSR - I thought it looked rather lame.

Interior looked ok - but the exterior had too much plastic in my opinion.

The TAB didn't pass MY coolness test - but their web address is on one of the attached photos if others are interested...

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
hi all, been lurking for a week or so. test drove an SSR the other day and loved the truck. I had an f150 supercrew, then an m3 convertible -- the ssr seems like a good compromise!!

IF

1) they up the engine and tow rating so that I can tow my boat -- i never tow far, just 40 miles each way for service about 3 times a year

2) a manual tranny would be awesome :lol

3) the price does not go up - it's already a bit much!

anyways, just wanted to say hi and that i'm eagerly awaiting more 2005 info...

Wes

1 - 19 of 19 Posts