Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
I roast ours in the oven with a butter/herb mixture under the skin. BUT I place it in at 325 for 90 minutes breast meat down in the pan fully covered. I remove from oven, rotate it breast up and put it back in partially covered for 90 more minutes. Then I uncover and baste every 15 min. till it reaches 200 degrees in the thigh meat. Man I'm droolin again!

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
I roast ours in the oven with a butter/herb mixture under the skin. BUT I place it in at 325 for 90 minutes breast meat down in the pan fully covered. I remove from oven, rotate it breast up and put it back in partially covered for 90 more minutes. Then I uncover and baste every 15 min. till it reaches 200 degrees in the thigh meat. Man I'm droolin again!

:rolleyes:
Hopefully, all that basting made up for that (temp)..........cause you can Google all ya want and what I found comes up this way.

"A whole turkey is safe when cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 165 °F as measured with a food thermometer. Check the internal temperature in the innermost part of the thigh and wing and the thickest part of the breast.Sep 28, 2015 "

·
Premium Member
61,726 Posts
Hopefully, all that basting made up for that (temp)..........cause you can Google all ya want and what I found comes up this way.

"A whole turkey is safe when cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 165 °F as measured with a food thermometer. Check the internal temperature in the innermost part of the thigh and wing and the thickest part of the breast.Sep 28, 2015 "
temp probe in the breast.... she slapped me!!!!!!

·
Registered
463 Posts

Each to his own but in my opinion a turkey at 165 would not be cooked thru and thru. Ours is always moist and tender and the joints fall apart just like they should. My meat thermometer instructions says minimum 180 for poultry. I trust that more than Google. But do yours your way.

·
Premium Member
61,726 Posts
on the THE KITCHEN , they cooked the turkey at 160...….when they cut it up... some pieces appeared not cooked....I say cook it for 3 hour and cut ….see if it is done or not.....we usually cook the turkey the day before... and cut it up and serve in a roasting pan......just to be sure it is done and the guest can choose white or dark meat.....

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,629 Posts
Up until probably 10 years ago or so I never heard of deep frying a turkey. Evidently it's pretty popular down here with some people becaused every year about this time the fire dept. goes on television showing the dangers of frying a frozen turkey.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Each to his own but in my opinion a turkey at 165 would not be cooked thru and thru. Ours is always moist and tender and the joints fall apart just like they should. My meat thermometer instructions says minimum 180 for poultry. I trust that more than Google. But do yours your way.
I agree you should do it the way you are comfortable with, but do not forget that when you remove the turkey from the oven or the smoker, you should (let it rest) under a foil tent for 15-20 minutes or so. During that "rest", the turkey temp increases by at least 10 degrees per several articles.

Check out this guy for great smoking tips.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I used to work for Traeger pellet grills and we did a lot of turkey at demonstrations. We always cooked them to a higher internal temp due to the fact we were serving them to the public and could not afford for anyone to get sick. They always came out juicy and tender. Plus we did not give them any rest time either. Doing a grill demo with free food is kind of like feeding the ducks at the local park. As soon as you pull food out and cut it up for samples the people flock in and swarm around getting the samples, then when it's all gone so are the people. It didn't matter what you grilled, if it was free it was the best food they ever ate. Or at least that's what they said while standing there waiting for another sample.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
I used to work for Traeger pellet grills and we did a lot of turkey at demonstrations. We always cooked them to a higher internal temp due to the fact we were serving them to the public and could not afford for anyone to get sick. They always came out juicy and tender. Plus we did not give them any rest time either. Doing a grill demo with free food is kind of like feeding the ducks at the local park. As soon as you pull food out and cut it up for samples the people flock in and swarm around getting the samples, then when it's all gone so are the people. It didn't matter what you grilled, if it was free it was the best food they ever ate. Or at least that's what they said while standing there waiting for another sample.

"
Stlhotrod
Registered

Joined Dec 31, 2017
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter • #31 11 hours ago
I used to work for Traeger pellet grills and we did a lot of turkey at demonstrations. We always cooked them to a higher internal temp due to the fact we were serving them to the public and could not afford for anyone to get sick. They always came out juicy and tender. Plus we did not give them any rest time either."

Under those conditions, I totally understand. Given a home event without a (demonstration) , A pellet grill temp of 165 and a rest period of 20 minutes or so covered...........as I said and is verified in the (Smoker Site) I referenced is making your turkey (good to go).;)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts