Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 SSR with only 26,000 miles. I'm not the original owner. I have noticed that when I go over some bumpy roads the front end shutters and the wheel shakes momentarily. I'd like to lessen that and get a firmer feel on the road, so would like to ask for recommendations on what I should start with first? Should I start by installing improved Bilstein shocks, beefier cross member or install a stiffening plate first? I'm a new SSR owner, so I'd appreciate any help on this. The suspension is stock as are the wheels. Thanks

·
Slingshot Rules!
73,901 Posts
The absolute best suspension / ride improvement ever installed on The Doophus . . .

The Front Frame Stiffening Plate from Simple-Engineering.

If you are near Phoenix . . . Mike will install one in about ten minutes.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Doophus for your prompt response. I have been reading about the stiffening plate but just wasn't sure in what order to start attacking the suspension issue. Thanks for the advice. I'll contact Mike.

·
Slingshot Rules!
73,901 Posts
Thanks, Doophus for your prompt response. I have been reading about the stiffening plate but just wasn't sure in what order to start attacking the suspension issue. Thanks for the advice. I'll contact Mike.
You are most welcome, Georgesee . . .

Mike worked his magic with the Front Frame Stiffening Plate on The Doophus way back in March of 2011 and I still remember the "before vs after" improvement on my drive home.

Definitely worth every penny.

! :banana ! :cheers ! :banana ! :cheers ! :banana !

·
Daily Driver
8,949 Posts
Talk to Mike(Simple Engineering) about the shocks he has had modified as well as the plate, bushings, and crossmember.

Oh, if you haven't I'd replace the radiator support first.

See we're family here and what is family for if not to help you spend your money? :lol
Seriously though, these are all good improvements. I was surprised how much changing the crossmember out for a four bolt unit reduced the cowl shake over railroad tracks.
The plate was a bigger help, and my plastic radiator support was broken (no idea how or why) so that was necessary.
The bushings helped but my originals had 12 years PA pothole abuse and near 100k miles on them, but that would be a the bottom of the list with only 26k.
Happy New Year Motoring!

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,952 Posts
The front stiffening plate, Radiator Support and shocks from Simple Engineering will transform the ride of your truck. I was amazed at the improvement.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,044 Posts
I agree with @xoxoxoBruce and @Texasbaehr and @DOOPHUS
I’d suggest the following, in this order

Simple Engineering Stiffening plate
LC32 crossmember, if you are going to switch to a Corvette oil pan and/or want to do all you can and have the $$
Shocks (front and rear.. The rears will reduce the rear rocking, don’t skip the rears)
Radiator support - this is for good measure
Simple Engineering rear frame brace
Urethane bushings, including the panhard/trackbar (don’t skip the trackbar).
Tubular rear control arms and panhard
Bigger sway bars.

I’ve done all of these items, not in this exact order and found unexpectedly bigger benefits from some items and the order reflects a “bang for the buck” approach.

You cannot go wrong by talking with @Mike in AZ

Good luck,
- Robert
:silver:

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,172 Posts
How many miles are on your truck? Look at the front end bushings. Also a big thing that people miss is a real simple one. Tire Pressure makes a difference in the handling of our trucks. They are heavy and low pressure can make the front end feel loose. Tire pressure will vary with the colder temps and changes with the winter more than the summer so check that first.
I am in the middle of redoing all my front end on my 05 now. I replaced all the bushing with the poly ones for the firmer ride and handling but if I were not looking for that, I would go with replacement control arms over replacing the bushings and ball joints. It's a lot easier that way then doing all the work rebuilding the old stuff. And with the replacements being as cheap as they are, the cost to rebuild if you had to have it done would probably cost more. I didn't want to have my truck down for long so I found some nice used control arms in a salvage yard and rebuilt them keeping the truck still drivable. Now I just have to swap out the parts when it gets a little warmer. Also the rear 4 bolt brace helps with that body shake. I got the Trail Blazer one from a junk yard and was surprised at the difference it makes.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,211 Posts
I have a 06 SSR with only 26,000 miles. I'm not the original owner. I have noticed that when I go over some bumpy roads the front end shutters and the wheel shakes momentarily.

Do everything the folks have told you but my added advice is stay off those bumpy roads that cause this. Ha! Ha!

·
My First Permagrin !
568 Posts
So I agree with everyone’s assessment above , but I’ll add how old are your tires ? I just put new tires on and it softened up the ride considerably . Good luck , Dave

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I had that exact issue with my 03 until I changed to Toyo Proxes ST 2 tires. Gotta say I love them. Extreme long tread-wear and super traction.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Hey Guys,
I'm tired! I kicked off the New Year today with the help of my mechanic & we did the following: Replaced lower radiator support, added air dam, replaced mid/rear support, replaced rear bump stops, removed all 4 wheels, sprayed WD40 on all undercarriage joints, bushings & wheel hubs, black spray painted all 4 wheel wells, & finished with cleaning, sanding, & painting the inside of all 4 wheels. A day of accomplishment. It feels good. I'm also having my 4th glass of wine. Good night.

"SJA" Steve

p.s. Noticed a nice improvement in ride & handling using Mike's well engineered upgrades! OK what's next?

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,044 Posts
Hey Guys,
I'm tired! I kicked off the New Year today with the help of my mechanic & we did the following: Replaced lower radiator support, added air dam, replaced mid/rear support, replaced rear bump stops, removed all 4 wheels, sprayed WD40 on all undercarriage joints, bushings & wheel hubs, black spray painted all 4 wheel wells, & finished with cleaning, sanding, & painting the inside of all 4 wheels. A day of accomplishment. It feels good. I'm also having my 4th glass of wine. Good night.

"SJA" Steve

p.s. Noticed a nice improvement in ride & handling using Mike's well engineered upgrades! OK what's next?
Nice. Sounds like some satisfying progress and work.

Shocks, front and rear. See Mike at Simple Engineering. They are upgrades from the factory ones. I’ve helped replace 7-8 sets, and everyone notices the improvement, even co-pilots. If you are interested in doing it yourself I can send you my notes.

- Robert

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Nice. Sounds like some satisfying progress and work.

Shocks, front and rear. See Mike at Simple Engineering. They are upgrades from the factory ones. I’ve helped replace 7-8 sets, and everyone notices the improvement, even co-pilots. If you are interested in doing it yourself I can send you my notes.

- Robert
Thanks! I'll put them on the list

"SJA" Steve

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
TXNSSR; you should take your notes on replacing shocks and put it on this or another site for the benifit of other fanatics. It's always a good
thing to have the experience of someone else when doing an unfamiliar job. Just a thought. LAZY ONE

1 - 20 of 26 Posts