Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How are dealers treating those of you looking?

I took an 05 for a ride last week. It was like pulling teeth. I am an airline pilot with one of the few profitable carriers (frieght) and a business owner and these guys wanted me to agree to agree to purchase the car BEFORE I test drove it. I should not say these guys but rather one of the managers. I handed them a business card from both of my jobs so they would know I wasn't trying to get a free ride or something. He said sorry. I told him that I was looking at an 04 for $32,000 from an out of state dealer and really wanted an 05. My plan was drive an 05 and an 04 (they did not have an 04) and decide how much more an 05 was worth to me. He told me sorry, they did not want to put the miles on it. Fortunately, one of the other managers had traded his Vette in on an 05 and tossed me the keys. I am in love with it. Problem is I have not driven an 04 and this first manager started giving me the BS that yes, the sticker was 48,500 but really it was 61.000 and the best he could do was 45,000. He went in to the whole don't worry about the cost difference between the 05 and the 04 but what the payment would be thing. I laughed at him and left. How on earth are they going to sell these bad ass trucks/cars with that attitude? I can go to any BMW or Porsche lot and take a test drive with no problem. But with a 200 day supply of SSR's. they are locking them down at Fort Knox. Anyone with an 05 manual out there have any advice for a guy torn between an 05 for 13 grand more than 04. I am buying one, its just a matter of which year and what price, the SSR rocked.

Steve

·
West Coast Pit Crew
10,185 Posts
Shop till you drop

Hey Steve

Don't know where you live but check other dealers and go on line to get quotes. There are dealers that are willing to sell !! I had a chance to buy an 04 or 05 chose 04. 300 hp would get me in enough touble and the 05 just have a few more things on them but not worth the price... Stay :cool and you will find your new baby somewhere!!

Happy :ssr ing soon!!!

:seeya Tony

·
Registered
73 Posts
So I went with the 04 just cuz I'm not really a speed person and where I live there are cops hiding everywhere waiting to write tix. plus the auto is what I would have chosen too. If you like speed and manual and want to have the "correct" version of the auto for long term ownership and maximum collectability, choose the 05. If you like the styling and features but don't need the speed choose the 04. You could go further with analysis on cost of ownership but more info would be needed, how long are you keeping, how many miles etc....

·
Premium Member
6,376 Posts
Test Drive

Fishslayr1 said:
I took an 05 for a ride last week. It was like pulling teeth. I am an airline pilot with one of the few profitable carriers (frieght) and a business owner and these guys wanted me to agree to agree to purchase the car BEFORE I test drove it. I should not say these guys but rather one of the managers. I handed them a business card from both of my jobs so they would know I wasn't trying to get a free ride or something. He said sorry. I told him that I was looking at an 04 for $32,000 from an out of state dealer and really wanted an 05. My plan was drive an 05 and an 04 (they did not have an 04) and decide how much more an 05 was worth to me. He told me sorry, they did not want to put the miles on it. Fortunately, one of the other managers had traded his Vette in on an 05 and tossed me the keys. I am in love with it. Problem is I have not driven an 04 and this first manager started giving me the BS that yes, the sticker was 48,500 but really it was 61.000 and the best he could do was 45,000. He went in to the whole don't worry about the cost difference between the 05 and the 04 but what the payment would be thing. I laughed at him and left. How on earth are they going to sell these bad ass trucks/cars with that attitude? I can go to any BMW or Porsche lot and take a test drive with no problem. But with a 200 day supply of SSR's. they are locking them down at Fort Knox. Anyone with an 05 manual out there have any advice for a guy torn between an 05 for 13 grand more than 04. I am buying one, its just a matter of which year and what price, the SSR rocked.

Steve
Steve, what part of the country are you from? Maybe some of us SSR owners can turn you on to some dealer's that we have had good luck with!

Scott 0168

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Another option: Buy an 04, and with the money saved, buy an installed xupercharger with 3 year powertrain warranty, plus get the rear axle changed to 4.56.

The net result is MUCH quicker than the 05 stock SSR, for still a lot less money, as the supercharger installed with 3 yr warranty plus the rear axle change will cost you $7500, or $8000 at worst. You would have more peak power than the 05 (at least 350 hp even at moderate boost) and a LOT more low and midrange power.

But, you would have no choice but automatic for the transmission.

Jim G

·
Registered
740 Posts
Well, I went to a Chevy dealer near to where I work. It wasn't busy, early on a week day, and all the salesmen carefully ignored me. Finally a kid salesmen from the Suberu side took pity on me and let me test drive.

It wasn't exactly what I wanted, tho, so I tried to order one. Well, they just couldn't do that. The kid was in over his head, so finally I talked to the head honcho, who just swore he'd get me what I wanted.

No one now returns my calls. :lol

I think I've got a good lead on one I want. But I'm used to BMW dealerships. I've never had such a hard time buying a car. It's really not surprising me that GM is in trouble.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in Memphis. Thanks for all the info. Bill in Missouri is searching for an 04 for me still not sure if I want the automatic. I just can't help but think in a few months the 05's will start to drop. I am seeing a lot of advertising in magazines and TV, but still not convinced GM isn't a little behind on not just the SSR, but business in general. I'm just not sure I want to a great deal on an 05 and miss a great driving season, lets face it, I'm forty now and every convertible season is priceless!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I live in Portland Oregon and placed the factory order for my 04 SSR thirteen months ago from Chuck Hutton Chevrolet in Memphis. It was the best price (MSRP in those days), treatment and sales service I found. I dealt with the Corvette Guy, Karl Johanson. Here's his number; Office: 877-476-1623. Cell: 877-483-3631. Tell him John in Oregon sent you. I hope this works as well for you as it did for me

·
Registered
904 Posts
Don't want to put any miles miles on it, I would tell him to P up a rope, Face it SSR's are not selling like hotcakes, The dealer here will let you keep a truck over night and get some driving in to see how you like it, Now he might not do that for everyone but you are paying for it, I have a 04 but I would tell anyone to go 05 and this is a toy so the only way to go would be a 6 speed, I know you can super charge a 04 auto and run with a 05 6 speed, But a 05 super charged 6 speed, Boy how I wished I could drive a stick, Just my 2 cents, Oh and it would have to be yellow

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Dress for it.

Believe it or not.

I've always found that how I dress, and groom, makes a difference in how they treat me. Dosen't matter if it's a sales clerk, hotel desk jocky, or auto salesman.

Some examples:

My first experience was while buying a Mother's Day present. I was 19 and had gone to the store, driving with the windows down. I was wearing a tee shirt and jeans. When I pulled out my checkbook to pay, the clerk would not accept my check. I came back later, hair neat, wearing slacks, pressed shirt, dress shoes, and the same idiot didn't even bat an eye at my check, didn't even ask for id.

Hotels: I always dress, jacket and tie, for my flight and arrival at a hotel, and it pays off. I see it espicially when I'm traveling with co-workers. I always get the best room, even though we are all paying the same rate. One time my buds were really bitching about how run down their rooms were. I had to stop by one to see what they were talking about. The difference between their and my rooms was night and day. I think I was the only person, on a floor that had just been refurbished. New everything, finished in leather and cherry. It's not that my buds couldn't have been put on the same floor as me, the other rooms on that floor were empty. But, they had dressed down, and the hotel put them in the slum rooms.

Car dealers. My experience with auto salesmen is limited but, the most accomodating experiences were when I had driven up in an upscale car.

I didn't invent the game, but I'll use the rules to my advantage.

:flag

·
Premium Member
9,355 Posts
I agree, Glenn

Had the SSR with top down when I went into the local Chrysler dealership last fall to look at a Magnum - had two salesmen come out, one ran back in to get a brochure, and came back with the keys to their demo.

Best service I've ever had at a car dealership.

Ray

1 - 13 of 13 Posts