Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since taking delivery of Red, #1375, last Friday, I've read the Owners Manual at least 3 times. Can't find anything about how you get the battery out of the battery box which is located under the right rear of the SSR. Has anyone seen any schematics or directions on getting the battery out if you ever have to? Have I overlooked something? Only negative thusfar in my 6 days of ownership is that my wife says that I've got to get this stupid grin off my face!

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Battery

:) :) :)

The battery cover( plastic) is removed by removing two screws on the lower back of the holder. Pull the cover back just a bit then pull down. It slides into a channel at the top.

To remove the battery, loosen the bolts on each side of the holder, then the bottom of the unit will slide back and tilt down toward the back. The unit will not drop to the ground, but will give you enough room to disconnect the cables.

While your under the back you might want to check to be sure that the plastic door that covers the rear tonneau cover release unit is closed. This is located behind the driver rear wheel. It is a tight area and is hard to get to door to latch. May have come open during shipping if it was not closed right during assembly.
While you are there test your manual release tool.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm a mechanic virgin, taking my first shot at changing a battery. I've read all the old posts here, but I'm still a little bit dense. I removed the two screws (not labeled in the pictures) and took off the back cover, but I'm lost after that.

How can I get the unit to slide away? Should I completely remove bolts 1 and 2 (and the corresponding bolts on the other side)? Also, what's the big tube that I've labeled as #4? Is that just a tie-down, or is that the actual connection to the positive terminal on the battery?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Number #4 is the Positive Battery cable
Remove #3 bolt, that holds the battery in place
Loosen # 1 & # 2 Bolts to remove battery after removing battery cables

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thank you! That helped me get to the final step. I've got my battery set in there (Optima 75/35) and everything looks great, except when I try to plug in the final terminal (positive... does order matter), it sparks.

Should I just ignore that and not be a pansy? Or do the sparks mean I'm doing something wrong?

Edit to add: I went with the I was being a pansy route. Just screwed 'em in and ignored the sparks, and everything started fine. Vroom vroom!

·
Clogger fan
36,695 Posts
Thank you! That helped me get to the final step. I've got my battery set in there (Optima 75/35) and everything looks great, except when I try to plug in the final terminal (positive... does order matter), it sparks.

Should I just ignore that and not be a pansy? Or do the sparks mean I'm doing something wrong?

Edit to add: I went with the I was being a pansy route. Just screwed 'em in and ignored the sparks, and everything started fine. Vroom vroom!
Sparks might be ok with an Optima...not ok with a conventional battery. I think I would disconnect the Positive from the red box in the engine bay first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts