Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some new stainless steel pedals. I got the new brake pedal on no problem. But I can't even get the old gas pedal off. Does anybody know how to get the gas pedal off?

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Do a check on the search I think Freezer has it right. I had to get my dealer to do mine because you have to take the arm off completely and the pin is machined in have to bang it out and it broke just the edge of the back of the pedal.

·
Premium Member
9,359 Posts
Hey, Wildcat - wasn't Freezer - was Flassh!!!!!

Anyway, this was my reply to her quest for information

Hey, Wildcat

You get a freeby on this - I did it all wrong!!!!! - so you gain from my experience. The good part is once you get through this, the pedals are really cool. Did mine in August, so I'm straining with my slipping mind to remember it all.

The pin is hardened steel, and pressed in place. There is no way it is coming out willingly.

I skipped step 1 (remove pedal), and went straight for the Dremel when I realized I really didn't want to remove the pedal. That didn't help - thoroughly trashed the cheap plastic pedal cutting it up, but the damned pin still wouldn't budge, even after I cut half of it off. wearing out a couple of $5.00 dremel cut-off wheels, and used a bicycle chain pin remover to try to pop it out. It broke, so I still had to get the pedal out of the truck.

Step one is to remove the pedal from its mount - I think it's only 3 bolts, but they are a weird metric size, and extremely uncooperative. It's somewhere in the 7/16 to 1/2" size, but if I remember correctly, neither would work, and I had to dig out the metric sockets. Not much room to work, and you may need to go with a metric wrench - all while you're standing on your head with your butt hanging between the seat and the door. It helps if you can scratch your knees while standing - arms of an Orangutang would help. Oh yeah - don't push against the plastic seat lower panel - I broke mine while doing the contortionist thing.

Once you get the pedal loosened or off, the electrical connector needs to come off. I can't give you exact directions, but I remember having to carefully pull out some small locking mechanism before the connector would come apart. I would suggest not breaking it - nothing good will come of that.

The next part is easy. Drill a small (1/4") hole in a block of wood, get a hammer and a nail set type of punch, line up the pedal so the pin is over the hole and with one or two solid raps, the pin will pop out. Slip on the new pedal, and reverse the process.

If you decide to accept this mission and something goes wrong, I will disavow any knowlege. This message will self destruct in 5 seconds.

Ray
03 Yellow #567

1 - 5 of 5 Posts