Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't justify spending $50K on a toy so I plan on using my SSR for daily transportation, plus I want to have magnetic signs that I can slap on and peel off as necessary promoting my business. How many of you actually USE your SSR as compared to taking it out for Weekend drives?

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
drivin' daily

My poor Tahoe is feeling very left out I have driven my SSR everyday even if I have to make some excuse like going to get icecream. LOL That is why I bought it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
drive mine everyday

M

·
0 Posts
I drive mine everyday too. My Dodge Dakota is just sitting at the curb now. And I too make excuses to drive it more than to and from work. "Need something from the store Honey...I'll go get it!!"
I can not get enough of driving it.

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
SSR use

I bought mine to drive and I try to drive it everyday. I've had it a little over 2 months and have 3600 miles on it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I don't drive it everyday. I drive it when the weather is nice. I like it it with the top down. I feel the car does not look as good with the top up. Also, I am plannig d to drive it less than 7500 miles a year, that' what my insurance company was told and they audit me each year.

I work like a dog and deserve a toy....

·
Registered
468 Posts
Workin' like a dog...

:agree I hear you, friend. With a full work day and a 1 year old daughter at home, I've found out exactly how precious time is. My SSR commute to work and back is now my hobby, and I derive a tremendous amount of enjoyment from it. It's not something I have to negotiate to get time to do, and I really appreciate that. You could also consider it therapy - 20 or so 2-hour total sessions a day. I'm not sure what a psychiatrist would charge, however my SSR payment has to be a dirt cheap bargain for all the theraputic benefits I get.:D

·
Registered
566 Posts
11111 miles logged on so far....

Got my SSR Vin #969 red ISB on Nov.13, 03..Today

It passed 11111 miles between Reno and Las Vegas.

Went to San Francisco for lunch at the Wharf .....Every chance

I get..I am outta here!!! People in Reno really loved it!

Went to park in San Francisco and photo bugs came out of the

woodwork.

Most people say this is the first one they have seen in the flesh.

Where are all you guys in California driving yours to??

The masses are waiting to see your dream machine!!

Having the time of my life!! Ladyinred:angel Lizz

·
Registered
168 Posts
Less than y'all

I find I drive mine mostly on weekends. I guess I am still in the honeymoon period, where I want to protect my SSR from any danger. Every rock chip and scratch I find hurts me to the quick and I have a company car for the daily driving.

Sometimes I find that I am cleaning, polishing, and vacuuming my Redline when I haven't even driven it since the last bath. On the other hand, I can't resist an occasional errand in it just to see the reactions.

For me it really is more of a toy than a daily driver, but as it shows its wear that might fade. Part of my problem is probably the sinking feeling I had when I hit a hail storm on my first SSR drive (from the dealer to home). Fortunately there was no damage, but I hate the thought of hurting my baby.

How can one justify $50K for a toy? I somehow think if I sell mine in 4 or 5 years with only 10 or 15 thousand miles and close to mint condition, I'll lose less money than I have on any other car I've ever bought. Maybe I'm dreaming.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I picked up my Slingshot yellow on 3/13. I just broke through 1000 miles today. It is a daily driver that makes sitting in traffic much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Everyday for me too.

That's what I bought it for.

The real decisions will be when do I ride my motorcycle so i just bought a trailer to have both with me!!!!!

D

·
0 Posts
Drive mine everyday, rain, snow, sleet or ice. Picked it up at the dealer on 2/13/04 and 40 days later I have over 2,000 miles on it.

I'll start driving my Z06 when the weather improves and give the SSR a few days to rest every week. Besides, the Z gets 28 mpg versus the SSR's 17 mpg.

Attachments

T

·
0 Posts
I drive mine everywhere.

Even had it on the beach this last weekend - of course, I had to give it a bath when we got home :)

R

·
0 Posts
I drive ours when the conditions are right, but seldom take it to work. I have an '03 Impala Sport Edition to commute my 54 miles per day to work. Besides, where I park, we build US Navy destroyers, and once in a while the wind carries microscopic size paint overspray north to my parking lot, and Zaino or not, it is not easy to get off the paint. So, I'd rather have to clay bar my black Impala than the SSR. The other option, which I do when I treat myself to driving either the SSR or the Vette to work is to cover it, but that ends up being a hassle. I get alot of comfort knowing I own it and that it is sitting pretty, and covered, and clean and shiny, in her heated garage. I look forward to special weekend rides with the wife, using the "let's go get ice cream" excuse that ALWAYS works well. She has never been "into" vehciles but the SSR, technically "hers", is turning out to be an appropriate exception. Living in Maine driving it daily would not be prudent as our roads have lots of salt and calcium for the winter besides lots of dirt and gravel remnants of storms requiring sanding. Same goes for the 50th Anniv. Vette, the SSR's stable-mate. It comes with the territory of living in the North but as mentioned I find lots of comfort and enjoyment knowing it's sitting there waiting for us to have that right time and conditions to enjoy.

·
Registered
98 Posts
ONLY 200 Miles

Well,,,, I guess I'm the odd one here.

I've had mine since Dec. 27th and just broke 200 miles. Here in NY the weather has been absolutely terrible.

This will definitely be my fair weather car and driven for enjoyment. Something that I think will wear off if I drive it too much.

But, to each his own. Enjoy it however you choose.
As we all learn, sometimes life is too short.

Mike

·
Registered
413 Posts
I dont think you can drive it "too much"

R

·
0 Posts
To echo 'Movin On, from a fellow northeasterner, it simply isn't worth the risk of any damage to the paint or tedious cleanup jobs to drive the vehicle when it's "yucky" out.

I feel no less a very proud SSR owner even tonight with mine back home 1,500 miles away safe and snug in the garage for the night.

PS, Ours is one month old and has about 525 miles. My other "pure pleasure car, the Vette, gets about 9000 mi/yr. I figure the SSR will get about the same annually.

We all love these vehicles in our own way. There is no right or wrong answer to this question, but it sure is an interesting topic.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts