Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Seering as how my other performance cars were a 92 caddy and a 02 Silverado, I 'd say she stacks up pretty well. Oh and then there was that green ford Maverick and the '71 beetle. :rolleyes: :glol :glol :glol

I

·
0 Posts
i've owned a 96 cobra, 89 mustang GT, 04 RX8, 05 WRX and it stacks up against my 96 cobra well. i am a big torque nut so i can tell right off the bat the difference between this truck and the import cars. i love torque :)

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
The SSR is similar to the 2003 Chevy SS AWD pickup I had. The pickup was heavier and had 345 hp. The C5's I owned were obviously faster as was the 2004 GTO but the SSR is a lot more fun to drive and a heck of a lot easier to get in. I also had a 1981 Mercedes turbo diesel wagon that had a Corvette 350 transplant that was fun to drive.

·
Registered
165 Posts
1988 IROC Z 305 TPI = SSR would blow it away
1989 Trans AM GTA 350 TPI= SSR would blow it away
1993 Formula LT-1 6 spd ( 1st year for that combo in f-bodies)=faster than :(
1994 Z-28 auto, lots of mods= equal or slightly slower stock than SSR

Also had a boat load of pickups after I had to grow up and toss the performance cars. Most recently 03 Hemi quadcab, traded on SSR, was a pig. Luckily now I reverted back. :)

·
Registered
515 Posts
We have been fortunate enough over the years to own a number of Corvettes, T/A's, and Z28's, and most recently the 04 GTO...The SSR is a great ride, but as of now, it is not close to the performance of the GTO, or the 97 C5 we had. I know that with some mods, I will bee able to get close, if not surpass the perfomance of the above mentioned. I have to say that the GTO handled better than the SSR. Again, with the addition of the sway bars, etc., I will also improve that aspect.
Having said all of that, I have always wanted the SSR from day one. In fact I had deposits on 2 of them at two different dealerships a year before they came out. But being as it may, other items took the front seat, and I waited until this past July to purchase my '03. Don't take me wrong, The SSR is here to stay, I enjoy everything about it and more. I am just anxious to make some changes to make it even more enjoyable than what it already is!!!!! Later.....................Tom

:ssr :ssr :) :) :ssr :ssr

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Well, I stepped up from a Saturn SW2 wagon to the SSR - so, I don't have much to compare to. :lol

For my speed fixes, I do have a Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator - 0 - 60 in 2.2 - 11 sec quarters (stock) - so I guess I can't compare that either. ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
My Z06 and Ram SRT-10 both are much quicker. But I got the SSR to be more of a cruiser so it does not matter.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I drive my SSR all the time.....except every once in a while I need an acceleration fix, which I get in my 2001 Z28.....of course if I traded my Z28 and '03 SSR in for an '06 SSR, I'd have the best of both worlds.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
I think the 2005 is a well rounded and fast vehicle to start with and when the 6 speed is added it is a blast to drive. Just in the last few years I have owned the following new vehicles:

1999 Z28 6 Speed
2002 Z06 6 Speed
2004 Silverado SS AWD Auto

I hope to exceed the straight line performance of the Z06 with the mods I am doing. The benchmark for the SSR will be 0-60 in 4 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 12.5 seconds. I should have acheived both of these goals by the end of this year.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
I never tried stacking up my cars :lol

·
Thank You To Our Troops
19,853 Posts
I went from a Chevrolet Tracker to the SSR so I was actually scared of the SSR when I got mine!!!! :ssr I have always been a practical vehicle gal but not anymore. You know the saying you can never go back!!!! I do have an 89 Ford Bronco II in excellent shape I use as my "go to town and avoid dings at Wal-Mart vehicle" though.

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
FatherLarry said:
How does the SSR stack up to other Performance Cars You've owned? :ssr
In my 39 years of driving legally, I have owned close to 30 new vehicles...including Porche, Alfa Romeo, Corvette, Jag XKE...the very best in performance was my canary yellow 1979 400 HP Trans Am (yes, w/the bird) and it is STILL the best performing car I have owned, although the 2002 Lincoln LS sitting in the driveway comes in at a close 2nd...but I still love the :ssr .

·
Registered
254 Posts
I love my SSR,

but I once owned a Porsche 911 with wide Pirelli tires on it. I could almost set those tires on fire starting off in 2nd gear! The SSR is an '05 automatic and I have yet to hear even a chirp from those back tires....and I have tried. However, all the other assets of the SSR and it's respectable power is a thrill.....I love it! :thumbs

·
Premium Member
31,835 Posts
Ah.... memories.

The only other "performance" car in the family I've ever driven was our '70 Jag Series II E-type roadster (it was never called an XKE by Jaguar - that was an american media label) that we once owned. Anyway, as good as the Jag was for its day, the SSR definitely out classes it in all of the important categories - power, handling, braking, and economy. Although, if you put equal amounts of rubber on the Jag, some of those categories would probably shift in the other direction. Still, I loved that car and would love to have another series II someday, even with the convertible top that never seals (don't even think of driving one in rain!), major cowl shake, electrical gremlins and all. (Hell, a clean "E" can cost more than $50k these days, making the SSR a bargain by comparison!)

Oh, and did I forget the major overheating problems? :)

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
XKEs and their overheating problems . . . . .

ssr71 said:
Oh, and did I forget the major overheating problems? :)
Hehehehehehe . . . . .

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw XKE in your post . . . . all the XKEs sitting along side the freeway with their hoods up in stop'n'go traffic on LA's freeways in July and August of the summers of '66 & '67. :cuss

Legendary ! ! :)

However, given their years-ahead-of-everyone styling I also thought they were the most beautiful cars in the world those days.

Gary (WearyEagle)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Well I hate to say it but the SSR is not a performance vehicle.. a cruiser yes, performance..NONE. Not even the 05 or 06 models. And before any of yall say it..yes I drove an 05..Brother-n-law has one..

·
Registered
904 Posts
How does the SSR stack up to other Performance Cars You've owned?

It is hard to stack the SSR up to perrormance cars. I have had a Cobra, Three Vettes, One LS6 and One a LT1, Number of street rods, SS/EA and a SS/D, A 30 Ford 3 window B/A, A E/Gass Dragster and so on, Now where could you put the SSR it will out run any other truck I have ever had, It wouldn't be right to put it up to the others, The SSR will have it's place with time

·
Registered
153 Posts
FatherLarry said:
How does the SSR stack up to other Performance Cars You've owned? :ssr

In Trunk space and roof operation it's defenatly the best I've ever had or driven or road in............as for perfomance, it brings a smile every time I hit the gas :D
So it may not be the best but it is the most FUN!! :thumbs :ssr
:seeya PocoToro

·
Registered
643 Posts
Performance Vehicle?

Boosted I couldn't agree more!

An out-of the-box SSR is no performance vehicle by any stretch of the imagination.
I've been an auto enthusiast since before I had a license. (First car was actually purchased a year before I had a permit). I've owned everything from 60's muscle cars to more current exotics. I've also had the good fortune of being a Sales Manager for one of the largest automotive groups in N.E. for several years. So what I didn't own, I was able to drive. Everything from Porche, Ferrari to Acura and Grey Market Exotics.

I bought my SSR as a boulevard cruiser. Sure once you're up and running it has a fair amount of grunt but I can't take anyone seriously who tells me they actually feel comfortable putting this truck through the paces. I liken the sensory feel behind the wheel to driving my '56 chevy. Or a schoolbus. Yes the seats are the most comfortable and supportive I've ever experienced, but the seating position is too low, the visibility limited, and the vehicle poised too high to instill a confident feeling in high speed manuevers.

The Acura NSX is still in my opinion the best performance vehicle for the money.
You feel as though you are one with the car and you're practically laying on the ground. But I never got as much attention in my NSX or any other vehicle as I do with the SSR. It's a blast to drive, with the best exhaust note since the Pantera,
but with it's limitations.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts