Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does your arm rest compartment open? When you push the button/lock does it pop open or do you have to use two hands? Mine sticks alot and I am wondering how everyone else's is working.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yep....me too

Yep...push n lift. :confused 2 bad they cudn't put a spring in it and spring brackets on the hood at the same time. :rolleyes:

Anyway...jus enjoy it.

:cool

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine kind of opened on its own at first. But maybe the spring isn't very strong and the weight of my arm has wore it down.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Could be better

There is room for improvement on this one. I have to two hand it. One to push the button, the other to pry up.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Armrest latch synopsis.

wildcat66 said:
:) when you say that pardner...

This is one of those kind of things that the manual dosen't get into. But I did go out and look at the hardware. Here is what I doped out.

The armrest is supposed to pop-up when the latch (in the armrest) is pushed back and up by the release button. This works fine except....

The armrest clamps onto the curved rods of the hinge. The problem here is that the clamping is a little loose. You can grab the front of the armrest, push it side to side, and it will slip on the hinge rods. We all, have undoubtally done this without noticing the slip.

It's natural to pull the armrest to the driver when opening the console. This causes a mismatch between the latch on the armrest and the slot in the console. Try pushing your armrest, causing it to slip to the passanger side, so the latch centers. This will fix things for a little while. Just until the next time when the driver "naturally" pulls left while opening the console.

The real problem is that when the button is pressed, the latch is forced to the far left of the receiving slot before it is forced back and up. The button just dose not go in far enough to accomplish all this. Especially when the arm rest has slipped left.

If the latch was a little wider, or the button could be pressed a little deeper. This would not be a problem.

I was going to take apart the armrest to see if something could be done about the side to side slippage. GM put Torx head screws there. It's a size I don't have. (later for that)

While fixing the slippage may work, the real fix is to change the depth to which the button can be depressed. The manual dosen't show enough detail to know if this can be easily done. The addition of a .030-.060 shim should do the job, assuming a place to put one can be found.

The basic design of the latch is functionally good. There is just not quite enough travel in the release button.

Fixing it should be a minor design change for GM.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know as soon I got in after this thread I checked it out and sure enough it gets pushed over to the right and causes it to stick. I have a habit of putting my arm on it when I am getting in the truck, so I will stop that and make sure it is lined up each time. Thanks again for your time.

M

·
0 Posts
It would be very nice when they make the newer models to have the armrest stay open when you open it. When it is lifted all the way up, you have to hold it open. So it takes two hands to actually put anything in or take it out of the storage. Kind of sucks. Would be nice to be able to use one hand.

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Armrest open

When you open the cover there is a catch that holds it open. When you feel the resistance at the full open position just push a little harder and it catches and stays open.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not any more...

I know the cover stayed up when I first got the truck, but it doesn't now. I am afraid I broke something. Caution, if some of you follow logger's advice you might have the same problem. I am going to have to take it apart and see what's up. :confused

1 - 12 of 12 Posts