Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As part of my preparations for supercharger install, I wanted a baseline dyno run BEFORE the install, to which I could later compare the AFTER install dyno run.

The last dyno run done on my modified 04 SSR was at MTI Racing in Atlanta - a dyno facility that is excellent, but not readily accessible to me right now from Austin! So, I had a pair of runs done here in Austin at a local shop last week. The results were consistent with the earlier Atlanta results, and more notably, were also very impressive for another reason: the quality of both the power curve and of the air fuel ratio control.

Take a look at the attached dyno chart from the local Austin shop.

First, the numbers are within 1.5% of the numbers on MTI's dyno, so we have consistency. The MTI results were a peak of 331 rwhp STD, while the local shop results were 326 or so STD (depends slightly on smoothing applied). That's a difference of only 1.5 %, which is phenominal consistency in the shady world of dynamometer testing, where the vast array of calibration and environmental condtions (see my book) make consistency extremely unlikely, and a blessing to be thankful for when you actually get it!

But, note also the QUALITY of the torque, power, and air/fuel ratio data. Note how smooth the curves are. Note how consistent the air / fuel ratio is once when the powervalve has kicked in (that big lump in the low rpm part of the S/F curve is the powervalve kicking in).

Now here's the shocker: The last tune done to this vehicle was done REMOTELY by tuner extraordinaire Lyndon Wester, from his shop in Alberta, CANADA! Lyndon has never been anywhere CLOSE to my actual SSR or PCM. He did this entirely using his knowledge and modeling software.

At one time, I wold have wondered if it is really possible to tune a modern very high perpofrmance engine (torque peak at 4800 rpm, and peak power at 6000 to 6500 rpm!) without actually having it on the tuner's own dyno with the tuner present to monitor a/f ratio and other conditions. But, having now seen the results of Lyndon's work fursthand, in my DAILY DRIVER, I'm personally convinced.

My supercharger comes from Magnuson, via 2005SSR6speed, with only a "designed for a stock 2004 SSR" tune on its included Superchips microtuner, as any deviation from that is apparently a violation of Magnuson's CARB certification. So, how do I get a tuner for my PCM with this radically different physical reality? No hesitation on my part, guys. I've asked Lyndon to do it.

Jim G

Attachments

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
this is very timely!

thanks for the info Jim. I was going to ask you some questions about lyndon's product. if I start following your modifications lead on my own ssR, can I just have Lyndon do all the tuning? do I need to dyno it locally between steps? did you say it was a one time cost?:confused
what would you do Jim?:flag

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am pretty convinced that Lyndon does an excellent job, despite my earlier reservations on remote tuning. His results are just that good.

Yes, you could use Lyndon to do the tuning at each step, and knowing what I know now, that's what I would do.

You should check with him on his terms of service and rpicing, as I cannot speak for him.

I really am impressed with what he does.

Jim G

·
Registered
234 Posts
If only the 2005 & 2006 SSR owners could enjoy this service.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I called and talked with Lyndon. You have to park your ride and send the two computers to Canada where he does the tune and sends the computers back. I'm still waiting for a local tuner to get the new software.

·
Premium Member
31,646 Posts
Group buys

I'm definitely planning on getting Westers for my full size truck as I have a number of modifications going on it soon. His tunes come highly praised over at the gm-trucks.com board from nearly everyone that's bought one (there's always a few sour grapes in the bunch).

Occasionally, some vendors (like Tbyrne - a supporting vendor here) run a group buy on the Westers tuning. The regular price (at TByrne anyway) for the SSR tune is $495.99.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts