Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Supercharged "Flaming Yellow Tweety"
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mechanic says it's a PITA to change out the plugs on my supercharged 05 ssr.
Anybody else had a problem replacing plugs?

·
Spirited driver!
1,544 Posts
From what I have read here, he is not wrong. There have been a few discussions about it and the trick is to at one of them from underneath and have the right swivel tools from what I can gather. I'm sure some that have done it will be along with details shortly.

·
SSR Believer
1,699 Posts
I've been changing plugs and wires in cars and trucks for more than 50 years. Won't lie, compared to "normal" vehicles it's a PIA, especially if it's never been done before. The two biggest challenges I had were pulling the wires; every single one was absolutely glued to each plug and literally had to be ripped out in pieces and second, getting the plugs themselves out because they were close to frozen in place. The issue is that there's very little room for leverage. So other than that... :rolleyes:

@PokerGuy is referring to getting at the #1 plug. It's the first one, front of the engine on the driver side. I did it from the top, but I can see where it might be easier to get at it from underneath. I've got less than 1K miles on 10K mile plugs so it'll be a while before I can confirm that.

So, it can be done if you've a mind to. ;)

That said, I know if I did it today it would be much, much easier because it has new wires and anti-seize on the plug threads. So if everything's original, give yourself plenty of time, keep a few band aids handy and be sure that you're working where the kids and wife can't hear you. :) Here's a link to the details of my experience. Enjoy!

Forgot to mention, get yourself a pair of spark plug boot pliers like these. I didn't have any and it might have helped a little. I'm told if you rotate the boot a quarter turn or so it will help pulling them off. Not sure it would have worked on ours, they were a bear, but it might have been a little easier. While you're at it, as @PokerGuy recommends, getting the right swivel tools really helps in those tight places.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,392 Posts
No Super Charger here, but not hard, just go slow and easy. I did all mine from the top. Driver side standing in front. Passenger side, standing on the side.

Nick

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,012 Posts
I’ve done mine a few times, before and after installing the supercharger, and the supercharger makes no difference when changing the plugs. I do #1 from the bottom as I find it is quicker than from the top, and the others from the top. I change #3 standing beside the R and the rest standing at the front. I find my wrists get less twisted standing at the front vs. reaching over the fenders and down, but whatever works for you. I use a 1” wobble extension and a flex-head ratchet. I have a set of spark plug wire pilers, and I’ve tried them a few times but have never really found them all that useful. Twist the plug wire boots before pulling them off the coils and the plugs.

As Nick says, go slow, it’s not bad. I start with #1 and then #3, the rest are cake.

·
SSR Believer
1,699 Posts
Everyone's advice is spot-on. (y)

I think my biggest challenge/frustration was that the OEM wires were practically fused to the spark plugs and the OEM spark plugs were practically fused to the engine. The previous owner was a snowbird and spent a good portion of the year in Phoenix... not the coolest place to drive even in the winter.

Although it's still a pretty tight squeeze in there, had everything been "normal" it wouldn't have been that difficult. Apologies if my post(s) gave the wrong impression. :)

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,392 Posts
@Ayesijuan, Also, I found that the first and second plug on the Passenger side, after they are broken loose, I had to take the Ratchet off and turn the socket by hand. The ratchet would hit the frame before the plug got all the way out. Anti Seize on the threads is a good idea as well. Also, like @TXNSSR said twist the wires to get them unstuck before removing them. Put Dielectric grease inside both boots before you install them to prevent them from sticking next time.

Nick

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,072 Posts
I put the SSR plug change at about a 6 on the difficulty scale. A solid 7 if you have 1 7/8” primary tube headers installed.
My point of reference is a Sunbeam Tiger. There were two small panels on the interior near the firewall that allowed you to get access to the rear plug on each side.

It just takes patience and persistence to get it done. A smattering of different socket wrenches (including a 1/4” drive ratchet) will help a lot.

My two cents,

Mike

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Ayesijuan, Also, I found that the first and second plug on the Passenger side, after they are broken loose, I had to take the Ratchet off and turn the socket by hand. The ratchet would hit the frame before the plug got all the way out. Anti Seize on the threads is a good idea as well. Also, like @TXNSSR said twist the wires to get them unstuck before removing them. Put Dielectric grease inside both boots before you install them to prevent them from sticking next time.

Nick
Thanketh youse sir!

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
:rolleyes:

So, out of curiosity, are you the first owner of this ride. Trying to understand the (NEED) to consider changing out the plugs. It would seem to me that perhaps when a supercharger was installed, that would have been an excellent time to swap in new plugs. The other question I would have would be the total accumulated milage on an '05 SSR that has been supercharged.

Bottom line, what and/or why are the conditions such that you believe you (need) to swap in new plugs.

We're long since gone from the days of (points and condensers) and a new distributor cap and rotor and fresh plugs (NEEDED). Have you been experiencing poor performance and/or "missing".

Thus my questions.............................

·
Registered
36 Posts
The one at the front drivers side is the worst, I took the front wheel off, and bought a new set of leads just to be sure, good luck.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have tweety at the shop right now for bad injector/ground/blown fuse and I think I will have them change plugs while they have it.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,012 Posts
Checked the plugs on Elsie today.
Twist the plug wires then pull the boots and off they come.
15m to pull the driver side. From this pic you’ll see why I prefer to do #1 from the bottom. The bundle of wires from the fuse box, alternator and temperature sensor make it no fun from the top and you are staring right at it from below.
38B308B1-CCEE-44C0-BB5B-209E7ECB1CDC.jpeg

35m to pull the passenger side, #2 takes me more time than 4, 6 & 8 combined.
25DC61F1-61CC-49E9-BC51-5D2ECDDD7E4D.jpeg

Above are the only tools needed: 1” wobble and flex head ratchet,10mm to remove the surge tank bolt and a feeler gauge to gap the plugs.

Plugs were in good shape.
860F11DA-0F74-470A-9C39-A5CDF4032305.jpeg

Installed plugs with a little copper anti-seize and a swipe of dielectric grease on the boots, then click, click (not using stock plug wires) and done.
<40m to install the plugs including a little cleaning and putting away the tools. < 2h total.

Per Joe the plugs need to be changed around every 10k miles with a super charger and gapped at 0.028. We run NGK 4177 plugs, which are copper because the other materials don’t work well under boost. Joe knows his stuff and is awesome.

Then @Parnelli and I went for a cruise and some power runs. I highly recommend a little whine. Total Permagrin.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:rolleyes:

So, out of curiosity, are you the first owner of this ride. Trying to understand the (NEED) to consider changing out the plugs. It would seem to me that perhaps when a supercharger was installed, that would have been an excellent time to swap in new plugs. The other question I would have would be the total accumulated milage on an '05 SSR that has been supercharged.

Bottom line, what and/or why are the conditions such that you believe you (need) to swap in new plugs.

We're long since gone from the days of (points and condensers) and a new distributor cap and rotor and fresh plugs (NEEDED). Have you been experiencing poor performance and/or "missing".

Thus my questions.............................

No, I am not the 1st owner, I am the 3rd. The guy I bought it from said it is due for plugs as with using copper plugs with a supercharger which is the best combo they need to be changed out more frequently. I also noticed a slight decrease in HP recently. I dropped off the plugs with the shop that is troubleshooting the ground/shorting problem so I will bypass the PITA this time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts