thank you

mike:yellow:

·
Tech Support/Research
1,683 Posts
Modules

At least six major ones:

ECM/PCM- Engine Control Module or Powertrain Control Module
RDM- Roof and Door Module; should have been called a Roof/Door/Window Module based on its functions
BCM- Body Control Module
TCM-Transmission Control Module (not on all SSRs)
RCDLR-Remote Control Door Lock Receiver
SDM- Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR or Airbag) Sensing and Diagnostic Module

Other sensors within the SIR (Airbag) system are also called modules in the service manual; the airbags themselves are also called modules.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
hi

It might seem like a stupid question

how many computer modules do the 04 have

what are the names

thank you

mike:yellow:
I tell my students on the first day of class that we will have a lab actitivity EVERYDAY . I continue to talk and ask them if they ever had a teachers say "There is no such thing as as stupid question." To which I say "That teacher was wrong!" and I hear at least one stupid question every semester and it goes something like this.

" I missed class the other day. DID I MISS ANYTHING? '

This is an SFQ!

I usually chuckle as best I can and tell the student something like

"NO you didn't miss anything -- we cancelled class because you were not here!"

Anyway your question IS NOT a stupid question

The 04 could have as many as 12 modules (up level radio 12, base radio 11) -- 11 would communicate to each other though the class 2 network. The 12th module is the throttle actuator control module (TAC) -- it communicates with the PCM using UART (universal asynchronous receive and transmit)

I have included slides I hoping to share at Maggie Valley tech seminar. However, due to a scheduling error this did not occur -- Oh well, maybe next year now that there will be one

For those wondering I also included the slide for the 05-06. The job of the PCM is done with an ECM if equipped with a manual trans - or an ECM and a TCM if equipped with auto trans. To make thing a little more complicated the ECM and TCM communicate via CAN (Controller area network) the other modules still exist and still talk class 2 and the TAC is still there talking UART but now to the ECM. So now ECM has to
translate the CAN language to the class 2 modules and visa versa so the different languages can work together and thus it is called a gateway module.

SORRY you got me started and sometimes I go overboard.

So 05-06 auto with upgrade audio would have 13 -- using three different languages.
An 05-06 manual trans with base radio (if one exists) would only have 11.

Sure beats the new Lincoln MKX we received

it has 53 modules and I believe 5 networks

I hope this helps?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
At least six major ones:

Other sensors within the SIR (Airbag) system are also called modules in the service manual; the airbags themselves are also called modules.
GOOD POINT! -- although the air bags are really actuators not sensors -- they are in fact still called a "module". I never considered that in the count of modules.

I guess I think of modules as a "Node" in the network/ Something that I could communicate with if I have the proper equipment.

The number continues to rise!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts