Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so--opinions wanted--
Looking at an 2004 SSR --has 114000 km ( 71000) miles --is that too many? Am I going to be looking at major repairs or have to worry about reliability. Can do some work on my own, but been out of the repair game for many years.
Are 2005 / 06 parts easier to get or does the year even make a difference on availability?
Just dont want to get into it and spend most of my days searching for parts and waiting for them to be shipped so I can enjoy my ride.

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can get parts from @Mike in AZ
http://www.simple-engineering.com/ check out the site. You will find out you have some SSRFanatic’s around that will help you. Great people and good help with solving problems. Welcome from DFW, Tx. Enjoy the ride. 👍🇺🇸🤠
Thanks will do-- dont have her yet-- hoping by next week if all goes right --10 hours away and no planes that go there --Northern Ontario--where the moose even wear a jacket--lol

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
932 Posts
@halfacoach there is no clear answer on what repairs may await you with an 03/04 or an 05/06. Cosmetically and hydraulic wise they are the same. Engine, transmission and electrically they are different, but both are solid and reliable. It all depends on how the truck was cared for and exercised. As an example, I just helped a new member with newly purchased R that had mileage similar to both of mine, where the micro switches were stuck and once we got past that we discovered one of the hydraulic cylinder’s seals was blown. Not a big deal, pull them and send them for rebuild. Both situations are pretty common, but neither have happened to my trucks. IMO those of us with original hydraulic cylinders should be expecting them to go out sometime relatively soon. I’ve worked on trucks with far less mileage than mine that need lots work and some that have a lot more mileage that are in awesome shape.

My suggestion would be to go for a drive, make sure the top goes up and down, check the date codes on the tires and assess if you like how it looks. Unless there are clear records, I’d suggest you are in for fluids and belts. From there it all depends, brakes? tires? Maybe some cooling system upgrades, like a fan and thermostat? And I haven’t seen a R on original shocks that wouldn’t dramatically improve with a set of new Bilstein shocks (even the garage queens :oops: ). That said, the previous owner may have done some the upgrades already and it depends on what you want.

We’re here to help.

Welcome from Houston, Texas. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I have 3 trucks
04 120,000 miles
05 170,000 miles
05 44,000 miles
I have done a few upgrades to all three, heat shield, fans, 4 bolt GM cross member. Flushed cooling systems and new hoses.

some things should be done due to age more than miles like the cooling system. Other things should be done for piece of mind. Others for the heck of it.

Now look at this if you were looking at a 2004 or 2005 Chevy Silverado with 71,000 miles on it, that would be considered a low mileage vehicle and would probably be jumping on it. That is only 4437 miles per year on an 04 vehicle.

It may needs shocks, it may need control arm bushings. It may needs brakes. But test drive it and see if it rides good and if you like it.

These are fun trucks to own but more fun to drive. If you buy a low mileage truck then you will be hesitant to drive it. That truck you can go out and enjoy it.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,193 Posts
Part of the question is where was it driven for those miles. Mine (a 2006) has 48 states and 6 western provinces of Canada and maintenance based on the DIC and lists in the owner Manual. I have one Major repair (replaced the transmission at 213,000 with a New Create unit with full warranty for less than the cost of a "Bullet Proof" rebuild).

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
I think that a great percentage of the SSR's are treated better by far than the average ride. If you are asking about issues caused by mileage then you should be fine. There will be issues caused by design problems that are somewhat separate from mileage.

It would be case by case, but as long as you keep it serviced and parts replaced as needed, the drive train should be quite good. Mine has in the 70's and I trust it to drive anywhere and make it back. It is an '05 so 15 years old. We have been putting on 4-5k a year on it until this year. I keep it serviced and replace something when it is worn.

One of my other vehicles has 100k plus and another 250k plus. Of course the 250k plus is a Honda, it should be good for 500k since we have had it since new.

IMO

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
so--opinions wanted--
Looking at an 2004 SSR --has 114000 km ( 71000) miles --is that too many? Am I going to be looking at major repairs or have to worry about reliability. Can do some work on my own, but been out of the repair game for many years.
Are 2005 / 06 parts easier to get or does the year even make a difference on availability?
Just dont want to get into it and spend most of my days searching for parts and waiting for them to be shipped so I can enjoy my ride.
71,000, is that too many miles ... Hell NO !!! I got a 140,000 on mine (golfer2's old SSR) !!! 🇺🇲 🇺🇲 🇺🇲 🇺🇲 🇺🇲 :D:D:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
If you were buying a 1940 Ford, would you ask "How many Miles"?

You are buying a Classic, DON"T make them anymore.

Mileage doesn't mater!

I have only put 148,000 miles on mine.

Dicktator
Great reply Dicktator !!! 10 uh C cozydog :giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I vote for the road trip. My first 05 was in California and my daughter and I flew out to get it, then drove back to St Louis MO doing the route 66 trip. By far one of my best times I have had traveling. The other 05 was in Arizona and I flew out by myself and drove it back. Some of the same parts as the first one but it was relaxing and a good trip by myself.

·
Slingshot Rules!
69,017 Posts
I vote for the road trip.

WOW, Bruce . . . my adoption road trip was exactly the reverse.

Way back in July of 2005 after more than a year of searching Chevy Dealers in and around Southern Arizona, I found The Doophus at a Chevy Dealer in Auburn, Illinois. After a few e-mails and phone calls . . . IT WAS A GO.

I flew from Phoenix to St Louis. Then the dealer picked me up for a two hour trip to Auburn. The trip home was a little over 1600 miles and took 4 plus days.

A "bonding trip" I will never forget and I would do it again tomorrow if necessary.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

1 - 20 of 25 Posts