Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there is a survey of how old the average owner is. What about how many SSRs you have had? Reason for upgrading or changing Rs?
I am new to the group and am already have a second. I originally got an 04 before I had done any research on them. Liked it but knowing there was one with a bigger engine I just had to get one of them. So I found an 05 and went and got it. I will be selling the 04 but I first want to do a few upgrades to the 05 and will drive the 04 till I am done with the 05. And yes it was worth it to get the 6.0 engine.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
I am nearly76 years old.
My first SSR was a new 2004 in Ricochet Silver. Drove over the week end and did not like it, took it back and traded for a 2004 Tahoe.
In January 2006, I bought a left over 2005 also in Ricochet Silver (traded the 2004 Tahoe and a 1966 Malibu wagon hot rod for it. I kept it until 2012. It was hammered by hail July 4, 2010 on our way to the SSR Rally in Colorado Springs. It was repaired and I had some custom painting down on it. I put one of Eric at MPD custom hoods on it. Had black stripe from the front of the hood and across the tonneau cover and cargo lid and a black scallop stripe on each side.
On June 22, 2008, I flew to Bangor Maine and bought a used 2005 Aqua Blur with about 7,000 miles for my wife. I still have it, now has about 52,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Only two, yellow 2006 FPR, sold to another who became a member here and UV 2004 sold to "Old Fred" who is still very active here. I DO miss the little trucks but not the issues.
Bob

·
Slingshot Rules!
72,396 Posts
The one and only PERFECT SSR . . . The Doophus.

Born on the 5th of May, 2005 (05/05/05) and "adopted" on the 20th of July, 2005 from Heritage Chevrolet in Auburn, Illinois.

The 4 day and 1600 plus mile trip home was a "bonding experience" I will never forget.

Why trade and/or upgrade when I already have THE PERFECT SSR?

! :cheers ! :banana ! :cheers ! :banana ! :cheers !

·
Ret. Air Force
3,720 Posts
Like @DOOPHUS I only have one...Mazzy has stole my heart and I will NEVER part with her. :wub:
But unlike my good friend Curt, I WILL (beyond a shadow of a doubt) buy Mazzy an older sister (05 - 06) one day for Tina; when I can afford to.

We absolutely ADORE these trucks...and the family that comes with them!!
:grin2:

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,361 Posts
---2-----We bought our '06 FPR 6-20-2014. Kathy had to drive it home from a car show once, because she wouldn't drive the '66 Chevelle BB 4 speed. She said "Big Mistake" I like that! 2-1-2017 we bought her '04 Ultra Violet. Hopefully thats the end.

Nick

·
Premium Member
31,258 Posts
I can understand upgrading, but I still do not understand the "need" to have more than 1 of a particular car - unless you're talking across "generations".

For me, it wasn't the size of the engine that I cared about - it was the manual transmission over automatic. I got 1 and that's plenty. I got other vehicles for other "itches".

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,381 Posts
So there is a survey of how old the average owner is. What about how many SSRs you have had? Reason for upgrading or changing Rs?
I am new to the group and am already have a second. I originally got an 04 before I had done any research on them. Liked it but knowing there was one with a bigger engine I just had to get one of them. So I found an 05 and went and got it. I will be selling the 04 but I first want to do a few upgrades to the 05 and will drive the 04 till I am done with the 05. And yes it was worth it to get the 6.0 engine.
i have 2 both are 06:blue: I bought the first because I had promised it to my wife when I retired. She unfortunately died before I retired and I found that Chevy stopped making them the month before her death. It is my daily drive and has been in 48 States and 6 Provinces in Canada. When it reached 200,000 miles I started looking for a donor truck, in case I needed parts, since they were not making them anymore. I found a slightly older truck with only 49,000 miles on it (now 53,000) and decided I would keep it in top shape and continue to drive the first one. Depending on the circumstances either could become the donor, but for now the low mileage truck gets driven a few days a month to keep it in good operating condition. I just love driving them and can't imagine not having one.

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,430 Posts
Just this one....so far! Only 1 1/2 years of ownership. Think of all the fun I've already missed! Oh well, daily driver is making up for lost time.

·
Georgia SSRers
1,008 Posts
Only two, yellow 2006 FPR, sold to another who became a member here and UV 2004 sold to "Old Fred" who is still very active here. I DO miss the little trucks but not the issues.
Bob
I still thank you BOB for selling me the UV. BTY: she has NEVER has any "issues".
I bought my BLACK first, JULY 9/2015. had never seen one in person and had it shipped in.
I loved it so much I bought BOB's UV AUGUST 21/2015.
I USE THE BLACK AS MY LOCAL DRIVER AND THE PURPLE ONLY FOR FANATIC MEETS.

·
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
1,757 Posts
I have had "3" 06 Pacicic Blue, My orginal I bought new off the lot in March 06, it was a 2SS that had ELECTRICAL problems. The dealer did a dealer exchange and found my current 3SS with Chrome in Virgina and trucked it to me on my Birthday in July. It was a daily driver for work until I retired in 2010. In 2016 I bought the third Pac Blue 2SS with 4K miles on it. After getting it home I found that it wasn't as nice as the one I had so I sold it less than a month later.
Now I take turns driving the award winning R & my Harley.

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,586 Posts
Like @DOOPHUS I only have one...Mazzy has stole my heart and I will NEVER part with her. :wub:
But unlike my good friend Curt, I WILL (beyond a shadow of a doubt) buy Mazzy an older sister (05 - 06) one day for Tina; when I can afford to.

We absolutely ADORE these trucks...and the family that comes with them!!
:grin2:
I'm with you Alex! I adore these trucks, and the family that comes with them! I have 2, and '03 Black(1369) with 76,000 miles, that is my driver. Had a roof issue, but thanks to Dicktator's wonderful library, and help from MrBozo we got the microswitch lubed, and it hasn't given a lick of problem since. My other truck is an '04 Yellow (Feb 2018 ROTM) with 24,000mi, and is a bit of a garage queen. Scared to damage the awesome flame paint job! My next one will be an '06, only because the '06 has an outside temp gauge, and you can get the chrome package. Have driven a couple 6 speeds but, maybe I'm too old, but the shifting in stop and go traffic wears thin after a while. I'd sooner opt for an automatic with a supercharger.:smile2:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I officially became the owner of one Slingshot yesterday, July 16 but won't have possession till sometime next week. Can't wait to drive her!

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
I bought my 2004 black R March 2014 as my retirement gift to me I still love to drive it and see people's reactions.

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
Right now I have 7. 1 Maisto concept model, 1 Maisto product model, 4 Revell 1/25 models. And the most important is The "TOY" a 05 REDLINE RED. Had 20k on it when I purchased in September of 15. Now it has 33k wonderful miles. 3rd owner. Registered 2 times. Owner before me was a dealers wife. They never registered it. Plan on keeping it till I can't sit behind the wheel.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,432 Posts
I've had 2 Pac Blues but only one at a time. Purchased my "Dream Truck" in 08' with 6,800 miles and quickly came on board with the Fanatic Family. Had an opportunity to purchase a nice little house on the river and with a bad economy I was worried about making two big payments. With a VERY HEAVY HEART, I sold the SSR but promised myself that one day I would have another one and it had to be a Pac Blue! Despite being SSR-Less, I stayed connected with the Fanatic site because in just one year everyone felt so much like family! I saw many Pac Blues come and go through 4 years but finally I thought I was ready to pull the trigger again! Work was steady and I got married but she wasn't a fan of the SSR or more debt... But I was determined!

I did find out that "Forgiveness is NOT necessarily EASIER than asking for Permission"! However, I found a Pac Blue near me in October of 2013 that I could afford and have had a Perma-Grin ever since! My wife has since warmed up to the truck and all is well!

I plan on Never selling this truck... Being SSR-Less was the worse feeling ever! Never Again!!! :blue:

·
HobbyBob
641 Posts
I bought 3yello in Aug of 05. I didn't know about the Fanatics then...my loss. Then in '14 I saw one on the Fanatic website. Knowing 3yello needed a younger brother we bought the PacBlu, now known as ELWOOD. Both have had "cosmetic "changes".. I drive them both to shows and cruises.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts