Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the EFILive tuning software "help" screen relating to engine cooling fan operation:
"
Select the type of cooling fans fitted to the vehicle, the PCM supports the following types -
1. Series Parallel Fans - Where both Fan Outputs (1 & 2) are used to control two fans.
2. Auxilliary Fan - Where just Fan1 output is used, generally these vehicles will also have a mechanical clutch fan.
3. No Fans - Only a mechanical clutch fan is fitted
4. EV Fan - Used on later model vehicles, the fan speed is variable by means of a PWM output.

Only the following values may be entered for this calibration:
- Series Parallel Fans
- Auxilliary Fan
- No Fans
- EV Fan
"

So, those of us seeking better engine and underhood cooling may have a fair bit of flexibility . . .

mikem2005: I figured you would appreciate this info.

Jim G

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,760 Posts
Good find Jim.

If the factory setting of "1" is the standard, it should mean that the #1 fan will continue to run when the #2 is running. I'm going to choose to wait until I instrument the two relays and acquire data. I want HARD evidence that this is the way it works.

Thanks for the heads up. This is looking pretty good.

Mike

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mikem-2005: I am SO glad you have taken on this thing so seriously! If you can complete what you intend to do, the entire SSR community will benefit.

Thanks for the initiative and for persisting when it is not as easy as some would think!

Jim G

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,760 Posts
Good Morning Jim,

I'm really enjoying this actually. Engineers are really a twisted bunch eh?

I need to get a good computer interface / scan tool that will allow me to monitor all of the PCM funtionality and reprogram some. What is available? Or even better, is there an interface unit with software that can feed a laptop to display data?

What does GM use at their test facilities to get digital data out of the system? Is there a standard interface and data addressing list that is available to the public? Probably a proprietary protocol though......

Mike

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mikem-2005: Go to the websites for

HP Tuners

EFILive

Both of these software tuning packages support our SSR's (LSI Edit does NOT yet do so except if the PCM is physically removed from the vehicle).

You will learn a lot, and be in engineer Heaven.

I believe both offer limited functionality downloads of their software.

This is a superior approach to microtuners, for anyone who has the patience and the discipline to not go crazy.

Jim G

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If LS Edit has now actually gotten to the same onboard programming capability for the SSR, that would be wonderful, since LS Edit is the "traditional" tuning software found in so many shops.

The critical questions to ask any of the tuning software suppliers include:

1. Can I both READ and WRITE the PCM on my (model year) SSR, without first removing the PCM from the vehicle?

2. Do you use a propriteary file format or a bin file format? (If they use a proprietary file format, it is likely that no other brand of software will read the file once it has been modified. Note that EFILive reads HP Tuner files, but apparently does not allow HP TUner or LS Edit to read EFILive files.

Industry stanardized file formats and locking / unlocking formats have apparently not yet arrived, so when you make your software selection, "choose wisely".

Jim G

·
Registered
61 Posts
LS2-Edit has been promised to be released "soon" for some time. Several tuners around the country do have Beta versions that they are using with some success. The big stumbling block appears to be the torque management system in the new rigs. In the Vette, TM is not located in the PCM, like in the C5 model, so one has to talk throught the PCM to another module to modify torque management. This has been the difficulty for LS2-Edit.

I'm not familiar enough with the electronics on the SSR, so I don't know if the system is the same as the Vette......

Also, the carputing website has not been updated for some time. According to theri site, at the bottom of each page, the last update was August 1, 2004. You can likely get more accurate info by calling them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.