Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy an Ultraviolet SSR. I will drive to any dealer in California where I live. Is there any systematic way to do this? I would pay over list.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Buying an SSR

Do yourself a favor and check Chevrolet's website and check dealer inventories from there. You can see what dealers have what cars and simply pick up the phone and call the dealer. This is what I did and bought my silver SSR at a dealer 90 miles from my house for MSRP and they delivered it for free.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im am on the chevy web site and I see no dealer inventory link. Can you tell me where it is?

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
Hey, Goofy - how quickly do you need an SSR? - there's really no need to go over MSRP, unless you enjoy getting bent over by a greedy dealer thinking short term. - I hate it when they win.

Two 04's have sold on EBay this week- one at $43910 for a 1SB package. There are several purple SSRs on Ebay right now. Several of the people on this forum have taken a quick flight out of their area, and bought below MSRP when their local dealer was at $10 - 15000 over.:banghead

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip on ebay, I checked them out and they do have many SSRs, but I did not see the color I want. I did find the dealer located on the chevy web site, along with inventory for each dealer nearby so I will give them a call today. I have this feeling they will not have the car that shows up, but maybe I will get lucky. I would be happy to fly out of state and pick up a car and drive it home, but I don't know of a systematic way to find those cards, other than calling every chevy dealer in the united states. At Lexus they have a locater feature where they can find the car you want at any dealer, and have it shipped, but of course Lexis are not as rare as SSRs.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Hey goofy

I just talked to a dealer here in Texas on the phone. He has a blurple one coming in Wednesday and he will take $1000 over sticker. I can get you a phone number if you want. However, I think that you can get one for sticker if you try. Hope this helps, Don

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure I would love a phone number of that dealer...part of this idea is I will get to enjoy a visit to another state and a nice drive back to my home base in the SSR. Along the way I will write a review of the car and my experiences.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Here's the number

936.544.2106 ask for Gary Ibins. He has a speech impediment and is somewhat difficult to understand at times, but he is very knowledgeable and is plenty intelligent! I have known him for years. Tell 'em Don Hobson sent ya! I tried to get him to sell for list, but he has two others wanting the car and won't go for list. Hope this helps, Don

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Don that is very kind of you, I will give him a call today.

·
Registered
601 Posts
The Purple Car

I am here in Maryland. The dealer I bought my car at has one for 46 for you. No one on the Washington, DC area wants that car. They have been trying to see it for a while. Call the following:

OURISMAN CHEVROLET CO., INC.
4400 BRANCH AVE
MARLOW HEIGHTS , MD 20748 -1899
Phone: (301 ) 423-4000
Fax: (301 ) 423-5725

Ask for Chuck Walker. He will hook you up. Tell him Les Williams sent you.

J
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Goofy,

I can order you one and have it drop shipped to a dealer near you! I will not charge over MSRP and have no added fees or adjusted market value tags. We specialize in long distance deals as we are a large Corvette dealer and have hundreds of customers all over the nation. I have worked with customers in every state including Hawaii! Just let me know, as I have allocation available to get you what you at a no hassle deal! You can reach me at 888.266.1434 or [email protected].

:cheers

·
Registered
58 Posts
Chevrolet Website

Goofy,
If you go to the "Shop/Buy" tab at the top an pick vehicle locator you will be able to search the dealer inventory

·
Registered
28 Posts
California Resident - Goofy

Goofy..... remember that if your a resident of CA and you want to register the SSR in CA, the SSR must have the factory certification for emissions tested for CA. There is no extra charge for the factory to test for CA, But the DMV requires this factory certification. You may order an SSR from any dealer in the U.S. and have it delivered to a CA Chevy dealer (for a courtesy delivery fee) but the factory must perform the cert. with CA statistics as a basis. You know how the DMV can be! Don't get caught in the middle! Chuck

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone who gave me help here.

I checked the Chevy web site for dealers inventory in a 50 mile radius and found two cars in Ultraviolet. Both told me they wanted $5K over MSRP. So what did I do? I told one of them that the other guy only wanted $2K above MSRP, and he said he would do it for $1K, then told the other guy, who said he would just sell it to me at MSRP. Duh.

Then today I went to look at the car. I am sure this won't make anyone happy but this is what I felt. And remember I am own a Lexus SC 430 (first convertable hard top on the market in a sports coup) and as LS 430 (highest rating for consumer satisfaction at Edumnds).

Pros

Great styling, really a head turner.

Nice smoot ride.

Throaty sexy engine exhaust.

Good visibility.

Nice storage in the back, lots of room.

Handly seems solid.

Cons

Terrible interior design. Coming from the incredible ergonomics of the Lexus I don't understand what happened here, its like they decided the cab doesn't have to have the quality of the exterior.

You have to squeeze your hand in between the door and the seat to change the seat position.

The plastic is really tacky.

The storage space in the cab is rediculous...there was no room for my backpack with a passenger!

The glove box is a joke. You can get about one burrito in it.

The controls are poorly laid out, even the volume control is too close to the edge of the radio frame so you hit it when you try to turn it.

I am not buying this car, I'll wait till Lexus or another Japanese manufacturer gets it right. I love the concept, its just the execution that sucks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
No, It Ain't a Lexus

Here, here. It's true this truck's not for everyone. If one vehicle met everybody's needs and wants, there wouldn't be so many styles and makes, now would there?

I really can't say I disagree with all Goofy's cons. He was just a bit harsh. "Terrible interior design" and "storage space in the cab is rediculous...there was no room for my backpack" seem extreme to me. I haven't owned many raodsters, but expecting them to have room for luggage in the cab doesn't seem realistic (a backpack fits in the bed).

Bottom line...I didn't by my SSR based on how easily I could reach between the seat and door. Sure, I wish they had made a few things more ergonomic, but I got the first production year model of a brand new design. In many ways the GM designers on this project were in uncharted waters. I think they got the main things right...so right, I'm pretty forgiving on some of the interior details.

Once I get the "Driver 1" settings right, I don't expect to have to squeeze my hand often...I'll be using that hand to wave at all the admirers as I drive by (some of them in a Lexus).

Proud owner of #1692

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't think its love or hate, its more like and dislike. Perhaps the issue is one of where each person places value. I love the exterior design, but I don't spend much time on the exterior, I live inside the cab. Since I spend so much time in the cab I want it to be at least as comfortable as my office chair, I want things to be convenient. I do adjust the seat a lot depending on what kind of driving I do. Lexus and many other mfrs recognize this and give memory buttons to bring the seat into one of two or three positions. I know this is a formus of fanatics and lovers so I am going to get pounded for any negative flames about the car. But in all honesty the comfort of this car leaves a lot of room for improvment.

I am not an industrial engineer but I can see many places that this cars interior could have been improved. The cup holders are really poorly thought out. I see a way to make a larger glove box, better storage, improved ergonomics on the controls, better visibility, etc. But I really do think the styling is fantastic, and I hope to see the Japanese copy this design just like Chevy copied the hard top from Mercedes and Lexus.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Live on the Inside... But Everyone sees the outside

Look Goofyass, I agree 100% with your cons, and as a owner of 5 Lexi's, I fully understand what you mean by quality finish and great interior design in the Lexus. The SSR interior reminds me of my Mom's 4 door '72 Nova.

However, on the outside this car is a "Shak-mobile", not some stuffy middle class semi-rich want-to-be Mercedes owner car...

This car creates reaction and fills one soul with emotion.

The lexus convertable is like ever other jap car. I even considered buying the NEW 2005 AMG SLK, but even that does not stir the imagination as this roadster will.

Plus, it is time we invest in our weak ass US ecomony, this is a great way to do it.

Until then keep buying your Lexus and hope you don't hit a 6,000 lbs SSR on the road.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Racer X

:agree
Obviously not old enough to remember or own real American iron.
The SSR isn't perfect but it sure as hell ain't a tuner.
Goofy needs to go play in a Lexus forum.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Goofy Truck.....NOT!

I agree this truck is not for everyone,and thank God for that. I have to say every design needs improvement. but I didn't buy it for the space. I bought it for me and only me. If you didn't get the memory seats you should "bitch" about having to constantly adjust the settings. But since you didn't buy one I guess it doesn't matter what you think!:cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts