Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

141 - 160 of 199 Posts

·
DFW TX Crew
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
What's your guys opinion on Chemical Guy brands? I'm an avid Amazon shopper and often see their 25% sales and when combo'd with the 15% Subscribe and Save feature the prices seem reallllly good.
I tend to hear good things about Chemical Guys brand.

If you're wanting to know about a specific product it would be easier to answer that question. No one brand offers the best of all products but some tend to offer better sealants but not great polishes or some offer great compounds and polishes but don't have great sealants for example.

I personally don't stick to any one brand, I have polishes from multiple brands that tend to be my go to polishes and I have sealants from completely different brands which I feel are better and I use interior products from another totally different brand.

·
DFW TX Crew
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Don't know if this guy is right or not, but an interesting fix for parking lot scrapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zzq5f8x5f4
Looks like he got scraped with a wet piece of dry wall.... most paint transfer scrapes I've seen are pretty darn smooth, but anyways....

He's not necessarily wrong because he got the desired results but I would have done it way differently. :rolleyes:

First off I would have started by spraying the area with soapy water to clean it all around.

Next I would have used some 3M adhesive remover and it would have probably melted it off end of story.... done. :yesnod

However if it doesn't come off with adhesive remover, I'd try clay baring next.

If absolutely nothing removes it you can try the magic eraser.

If its still there light wet sanding with 2000-3000 then buff off with compounds and rewax.

WD40 really? .... :banghead

I've done tons of paint transfer removal over the years and the first thing I reach for after cleaning the area is 3M adhesive remover. Typically done after about 45 seconds of work.... typically.

Josh

·
Daily Driver
8,997 Posts
I was hoping you'd chime in on this because while it was interesting I don't have a clue when it comes to this stuff. I'd be at the bodyshop taking it up the butt. Thanks. :cheers

·
DFW TX Crew
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
I was hoping you'd chime in on this because while it was interesting I don't have a clue when it comes to this stuff. I'd be at the bodyshop taking it up the butt. Thanks. :cheers
Listen, if you ever get an issue like this or something else, please call me first and I'll do my best to steer you in the right direction.

I don't know everything and may not have all the answers, but I'm betting I'll know just enough..... :nerd::wink2:

Josh 214-709-0665

·
Daily Driver
8,997 Posts
I posted that video because I found it and thought it might be of value to someone.

While I appreciate the offer, you're talking to the wrong guy. Daily driver, when it's dirty I go to the car wash, I've never waxed it, ever, just get it painted when if gets embarrassing.

Don't care about resale value because they'll bury me in it. I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum from the garage queen, and the I'll go out and 'polish-car-or-murder-spouse' people. In the 12 years I've owned it I have yet to see something I want more. It's the convertible El Camino of my dreams, but I own it, not vice versa.

Thanks again for your offer, and help to the SSR folks. You were a good investment. :cheers

·
DFW TX Crew
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
I posted that video because I found it and thought it might be of value to someone.

While I appreciate the offer, you're talking to the wrong guy. Daily driver, when it's dirty I go to the car wash, I've never waxed it, ever, just get it painted when if gets embarrassing.

Don't care about resale value because they'll bury me in it. I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum from the garage queen, and the I'll go out and 'polish-car-or-murder-spouse' people. In the 12 years I've owned it I have yet to see something I want more. It's the convertible El Camino of my dreams, but I own it, not vice versa.

Thanks again for your offer, and help to the SSR folks. You were a good investment. :cheers

I understand and mines a daily driver too, matter of fact mine is technically a work truck but I won't let that stop me from showing up all the "low mileage" garage queens out there. :grin2::grin2::grin2:

:yellow:

·
DFW TX Crew
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
It's your profession, your work truck is the sample to show potential clients, it's has to(and does) look superb. :trophy::thumbs
Thanks, I can't say the same about my last work truck though.....:frown2:

It looked good for about a year and a half then I just stopped lovin on it all together and got burned out with it. I neglected it really bad and couldn't stand washing it. It was just too big and too much work.... :crying:

Not the case with the R though. I've only had it for a year but still love keeping it clean. Matter of fact it was getting pretty dirty and the other day it rained really hard and I was caught in it and could barely see in front of me 200 yards but I just kept driving figuring I've got to wash it anyways so who cares..... next morning it looked almost freshly washed and clean, apparently the heavy rain combined with the slickness of the finish just washed it all away and cleaned it, no joke. I was like that was easy. :banana

True story. :yellow:

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I have a 04 R, only had it for a short time, engine compartment looks as if has never been detailed, look pretty bad and I would like o clean it, worried about getting things wet, what are some of your thoughts

·
DFW TX Crew
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
I have a 04 R, only had it for a short time, engine compartment looks as if has never been detailed, look pretty bad and I would like o clean it, worried about getting things wet, what are some of your thoughts
Get some large sandwhich baggies and rubber bands and seal off those parts, then hose it down if you want or just use some old wash mitts, and towels you don't want anymore with a few brushes and go to town.

Josh

·
Daily Driver
8,997 Posts
Josh, it seems on the driver's side of the engine bay there's a lot of stuff with wires going in and out, making the choice of what to protect a crap shoot.:puzzled:

·
DFW TX Crew
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Josh, it seems on the driver's side of the engine bay there's a lot of stuff with wires going in and out, making the choice of what to protect a crap shoot.:puzzled:
I don't know, try using tin foil or something that you can wrap around it?

Also I'm not a huge fan of hosing down engine bays, I prefer to use a wash mitt and bucket with various brushes then blow dry it all with a leaf blower.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi everyone. I really needed this topic to be broken down in easy terms. Iv been to embarrassed to bring up the subject, as it shows how little I know about how to keep mine looking great. The dealer did polish it up before handing her over to me, but I have no clue what I'm doing to keep the slippery sleek shine that I love.

Iv asked advice from people I know, but really didn't get anything juicy, like a secret recipe from days gone by.
Iv bought most of the sprays listed here, and the cloths, but it still ends up looking like Iv smeared it with a chocolate bar.

Finally, I used up every bath towel, kitchen towel, baby diaper ( clean of course ) favorite T-shirt, pantyhose and snot rag and I still cant seem to get in the groove. I'm worried I'm going to corrupt the nice finish & end up having to pay for someone else to do the job. I better learn fast or I'm gonna be furious. Big Grin.

I guess my main frustration is the end result of the ' quick detailers '.
My only Fav is called ' Griots Garage Spray on wax'.

feed back will help, but a hands on tutorial would be better. ( wink )
Thanks, much appreciated.

·
DFW TX Crew
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Hi everyone. I really needed this topic to be broken down in easy terms. Iv been to embarrassed to bring up the subject, as it shows how little I know about how to keep mine looking great. The dealer did polish it up before handing her over to me, but I have no clue what I'm doing to keep the slippery sleek shine that I love.

Iv asked advice from people I know, but really didn't get anything juicy, like a secret recipe from days gone by.
Iv bought most of the sprays listed here, and the cloths, but it still ends up looking like Iv smeared it with a chocolate bar.

Finally, I used up every bath towel, kitchen towel, baby diaper ( clean of course ) favorite T-shirt, pantyhose and snot rag and I still cant seem to get in the groove. I'm worried I'm going to corrupt the nice finish & end up having to pay for someone else to do the job. I better learn fast or I'm gonna be furious. Big Grin.

I guess my main frustration is the end result of the ' quick detailers '.
My only Fav is called ' Griots Garage Spray on wax'.

feed back will help, but a hands on tutorial would be better. ( wink )
Thanks, much appreciated.
No need to be embarrassed. I've detailed professionally for 11 years and I still learn something new each time I talk to people...

Lots to talk about, but first a spray on wax is not actually a quick detailer. That may be why it's all streaky. You may need to wipe it with a dry MF towel after to remove it?

Also try clay baring it and then waxing it. For maintanance I'd use a true QD spray only after washing it first though and don't use so much. 1/2 spray or one full spray per panel is about all you need. Wipe it in good. Less is more idea.

Also I use a leaf blower to dry most of my SSR as it saves me from having to wipe it down 5 times to get it streak free. Blow it and then one wipe down with the QD. ;)

Josh

·
Registered
1 Posts
I want to thank Ultima Clearly Different for one of the best car detailing products that I have ever come across and its Ultima Waterless Wash Concentrate it really saves my time and money.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,652 Posts
I have settled on the Top Coat F-11 as it meets all my needs.

Started applying the TOP COAT F-11 spray 12-24-17. Sure does have a mile deep shine. Ordered more of the TOP COAT F-11. I only had a 2 ounce sample to start with.

The thing I really like about the Top Coat F-11 is you only need 1 product for the entire detail job. It does glass, paint, rubber, leather, chrome, wheels, tires, running boards, everything, and you are done. Shine is a mile deep and they claim the bugs don't stick also. I am in no way affiliated with or for them, just like it.

Reactions: voodoophantom

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
I have settled on the Top Coat F-11 as it meets all my needs.

Started applying the TOP COAT F-11 spray 12-24-17. Sure does have a mile deep shine. Ordered more of the TOP COAT F-11. I only had a 2 ounce sample to start with.

The thing I really like about the Top Coat F-11 is you only need 1 product for the entire detail job. It does glass, paint, rubber, leather, chrome, wheels, tires, running boards, everything, and you are done. Shine is a mile deep and they claim the bugs don't stick also. I am in no way affiliated with or for them, just like it.

vp

141 - 160 of 199 Posts