Chevy SSR Forum banner

How to disconnect Daytime running lights

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Doug Adkins 
#1 ·
Where is the module located in the SSR to disconnect the daytime running lights?
I cannot find the info on the web. Anyone done this yet?

Dave

#6 ·
Park Brake

I haven't disconnected the DRLs, but noticed they are off when I engage the parking brake. It seems there was a thread here including some information about the lights staying off after the brake was released, but I don't remember the circumstances. I think the poster was unhappy about it, but you might like it.

I have to believe a switch is made when the brake is set and you might be able to wire around this switch easier than searching through schematics for a circuit to turn them off.

Just a thought...I like my lights on, just not the fog lights.

#7 ·
Thats correct, There is a thread pertaining to this daylight issue. use parking light brake few times and that will do the trick.

#8 ·
That was likely me. I can't quite see the value in having the head lights shutdown when activating the emergency brake. Recently I found that if you set the brake before shifting into park, then the headlights don't stay on after exiting the truck.

#9 ·
Deja Vu

beer100 said:
That was likely me. I can't quite see the value in having the head lights shutdown when activating the emergency brake. Recently I found that if you set the brake before shifting into park, then the headlights don't stay on after exiting the truck.
beer,

We may have already had this discussion (old-timers disease is setting in here), but when you mentioned that before I recalled other GM autos I drive. I think they wanted to give us a way to shut the lights off while parked. On a cold night, when I am waiting for my wife to come out of a shop, I like to have the heat on, but don't like the lights shining in the faces of people inside. I also ran the battery down in my SSR one time because I had the key on for hours while zainoing (I didn't realize the lights were on...now I just apply the brake). Most GMs let you turn them off by setting the brake. Some have a separate button you can press to disengage the Daytimes. I actually like the brake arrangement better (SSR version). In the Astro (with the button), I can't flash my headlights (except at night) at oncoming traffic without pressing this button three times (it also controls the domelight-on-when-door-open feature).

I know you thought it unsafe in an emergency to have the lights go off if your moving and need the brake. Your discovery that shifting into park effects the lights makes me wonder if we are in drive and apply the brakes...do the lights stay on?

It could be those clever GM Engineers have already covered all our wishes; we just need to learn how to use the system. Maybe Dave can have his lights off by applying the brake, shifting into drive, then releasing the brake. You and I might be able to have our concerns solved by the mode of the shifter while applying the brake, too.

I gotta go try this!

#10 ·
Now We Know

Okay, okay. Now any of us curious about this have had time to try it. Dave can indeed drive with his lights off by simply applying the park (or emergency, as beer likes to think of it) brake before shifting into drive and then disengaging it (DON'T FORGET THIS STEP) before applying throttle. I can have the lights off while parked with the engine running by using the brake. Poor beer is going to have to physically turn on his lights in order to have headlights when he is driving along and suddenly needs the "emergency" brake when it is dark outside. Otherwise, if he leaves the switch off and applies this brake...darkness.

#11 ·
Lights out

Engaging and disengaging the parking brake the first time turns the running lights off; the second time this procedure is performed, the running lights come back on. :flag

#12 ·
DayTime Lights

Yes it really works was amazed when you get in your SSR just before you takeoff pull Emer Brake up then put in Gear wally Lights are off i was surprised so then you can drive without any lights which i also like during the day as if you have ever noticed how many chevys always have a running light burned out so iam using this method myseld also beats the heck out of unhooking anything that is meant to be Good Luck Doug. :thumbs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.