Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 6-Speed
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have one busted dash vent in my SSR and have tried multiple salvage yard search methods (including car-part.com) only to find the posted inventory is old data and the car was crushed long ago.

However, I have found that the LKQ Pick Your Parts online inventory is very accurate regarding cars in the yard, but they don't detail specific parts, so you have to go look for yourself to see if the part you need is still available.

I have been checking the LKQ site for a couple months now, but no 96-99 Auroras have shown up within driving distance from my house. However, I have gear-head buddy who has taken a temporary job assignment in Bakersfield California. I checked the local LKQ and sure enough - they have a 98 Aurora!
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

I called my buddy up and he was willing to go check it out for me.

$3 entry into LKQ and $4.33 for the vent. He was able to easily pop out the assembly with his pocket knife!
Vehicle Hood Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Here is the search page for LKQ that you can use to select your location and change the year model of the Aurora:

(Select the SEARCH button on the LKQ search page for the results to update.)

There were several 96-99 Auroras in Florida, and a few in California.

I didn't search other parts of the country.

SSR Fanatics need to snatch up the few remaining vents that are out there before they get crushed!

·
Registered
2004 nu2me 2016 now 90k+ LOVE IT!
286 Posts
this doesn't look like my vents in 2004. or is it just the blades inside the piece that are like ours?

·
Registered
2005 6-Speed
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Just the center section.

Here is a little history on the topic:
Will need to be painted black with paint for plastic.

·
Registered
2004 nu2me 2016 now 90k+ LOVE IT!
286 Posts
Gold info to have as these near the 20 year mark

Reactions: BlueStreak

·
SSR Believer
3,326 Posts
What is the knob at the bottom turning? The SSR vents don't have that feature.
I haven't seen an Aurora vent in person, but it looks like it just moves the entire vent left/right. Although the indicators make me think it opens and closes them which would mean there's an additional moving part behind the vent itself. Ours pivot when you push them either way. That is IF you ever touch them. o_O They are verboten territory in ours. ;)

@TheXCepsion mentioned that the Aurora vents that are blue or beige can be painted. Would be tedious, but doable I guess.

I bought an entire NOS SSR set from @cadiman a couple of years ago and installed them. No idea if any are still out there as he hasn't posted any for quite a while now. I do see them in dashes from wrecking yards like Cleveland Power and Performance now and then. Some look to be in very good condition, others not so much. Price-wise, buying an entire dash with acceptable vents is probably not a bad deal.

More here:

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur, top secret can't say anything about another one
6,359 Posts
You take the face and fins assembly out and paint it and install it in the SSR.
I keep a couple in a box in a cool dry place and they seem to multiply. I hear strange noises out of that room, but I don't dare disturb them when it is going on. May have to check on it again and see if there are any more in there. o_O ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts