Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
:crying:

I was hot to make this mod and thought no sweat, I've added a mini tap before. Stopped at Advanced Auto yesterday and grabbed one off the rack. Today, I had already ground down the male connector to fit and added it to my new mini tap.

Plugged in a mini 7.5 fuse and started to plug it all in where the 20 amp circuit was. Would not go in the slot.

Took a harder look and could easily see why it would not go in.........

Note the label on left box versus right box. I never knew there were multiple sizes of "mini" fuses. :banghead
SO now that you got the correct size fuse tap, does it work to your satisfaction?

·
SSR Believer
602 Posts
I'd like to make this mod on our 2005 R but after reading all of the posts I'm still not quite clear if or how it can be done. If so, if anyone has a diagram and/or photo of an '05 modified this way, that would be terrific.

TIA!

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
I'd like to make this mod on our 2005 R but after reading all of the posts I'm still not quite clear if or how it can be done. If so, if anyone has a diagram and/or photo of an '05 modified this way, that would be terrific.

TIA!
:|
I gotta get mine out to wash after the jaunt to Maggie V. Gotta get 'er done before it gets into the 90's today.

I'll try and snap a pic of my fuse box and give you the specific slots that I used. Get to the Auto Store and pick up a mini tap as shown in above posts.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
How I followed Autoprofs advice

:smile2:

Don't get confused cause you see three different fuse "taps" in this picture. Simply turn the fuse box door so you can follow the diagram on the back side of the door.

That diagram will show you exactly where fuse #46 is located, take the 7.5 amp fuse that (came with the tap package) and put it into the top slot. As he said, be sure to have the tap wire exiting to the front and then run that wire (with the "modified"/ground down to fit) male stud and plug that into the right hand side of #44.

Now, you should have "switched" power to those two outlets instead of always being "hot".:wink2:

Attachments

·
SSR Believer
602 Posts
:smile2:

Don't get confused cause you see three different fuse "taps" in this picture. Simply turn the fuse box door so you can follow the diagram on the back side of the door.

That diagram will show you exactly where fuse #46 is located, pull that fuse out and put it into the bottom slot of fuse tap and take the 7.5 amp fuse that (came with the tap package) and put it into the top slot. As he said, be sure to have the tap wire exiting to the front and then run that wire (with the "modified"/ground down to fit) male stud and plug that into the right hand side of #44.

Now, you should have "switched" power to those two outlets instead of always being "hot".:wink2:
That's awesome for us "visual learner" types!

So just to be sure I got this, here are a couple of DIY images. If I've finally gotten it through my thick head, I'm off to the auto parts store (again)! :grin2:

Attachments

·
SSR Believer
602 Posts
On my SSR HOW TO LIBRARY: By Ed Borland

Step by Step: May help with install.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5&resid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!1162&ithint=.pdf&open=true&app=WordPdf

HOW TO LIBRARY:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator

Remember 03/04 wiring/software is "Different" from 05/06. Engine fuse boxes are not interchangeable.
All of your DIY tutorials ALWAYS help Dicktator! :thumbs

I've downloaded all of them, even added some of the more important (to me anyway) files to my Books Apps on my iPhone and iPad for easy reference. Truly a gold mine. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
That's awesome for us "visual learner" types!

So just to be sure I got this, here are a couple of DIY images. If I've finally gotten it through my thick head, I'm off to the auto parts store (again)! :grin2:
Yup, I believe you have it exactly right. I cannot take the credit for the "fix", it was Autoprof that explained the method and way to get 'er done.:smile2:

·
SSR Believer
602 Posts
Yup, I believe you have it exactly right. I cannot take the credit for the "fix", it was Autoprof that explained the method and way to get 'er done.:smile2:
UPDATE NOTE: The first three attached photos of the fuse tap are WRONG. There should only be one fuse for this project, the 7.5a fuse in the top of the fuse tap. The 20a fuse should not be re-used. This is a "jumper" not, an "add-a-circuit" setup. The fifth image attached is the correct way to do it.

Well, I guess not. Thought I had it down, but when I create that jumper the two accessory outlets are hot again, with or without the key on. In addition, when I connect the jumper (#46 to #44 right-side only) the fan/blower comes on low. :| Go figure.

I thought it might be a fuse polarity issue so I swapped the original 20a and 7.5a fuses around (see attachments) but with the same results.

Weird.

I'm sure I'm missing something or perhaps I am just not destined to enjoy this mod. :crying:

Thoughts?

Corrected. Original post indicated #48 when it should have been #44)

Attachments

·
BlueStreak
26,875 Posts
Well, I guess not. Thought I had it down, but when I create that jumper the two accessory outlets are hot again, with or without the key on. In addition, when I connect the jumper (#46 to #48 right-side only) the fan/blower comes on low. :| Go figure.

I thought it might be a fuse polarity issue so I swapped the original 20a and 7.5a fuses around (see attachments) but with the same results.

Weird.

I'm sure I'm missing something or perhaps I am just not destined to enjoy this mod. :crying:

Thoughts?
Instructions say to connect to the right side of #44.

·
BlueStreak
26,875 Posts
Well, I guess not. Thought I had it down, but when I create that jumper the two accessory outlets are hot again, with or without the key on. In addition, when I connect the jumper (#46 to #48 right-side only) the fan/blower comes on low. :| Go figure.

Weird.

Thoughts?
Instructions say to connect to the right side of #44.

·
SSR Believer
602 Posts
D'oh. My typo. You are correct, it's supposed to be #44 - I corrected my post. But if you look at the picture of my fuse box with the jumper installed, it is in fact on the right side of #44 (just like you have it in yours). Phew! Thought I was really losing it! :wink2:

So right now the moment I connect the fuse tap itself, the accessory outlets are hot again (without the key in the ignition). I connected the lead to the right side of #44 and they are still hot... plus the blower comes on low.

I'm at a bit of a loss.

No need to trouble yourself though, you've done all you can I think. I'll chalk it up to gremlins (ugly, UGLY car!) :grin2:

Think I'll run a line from an empty slot that's switched, #52, up to the dash. I don't relish trying to get the wires under the console, but you gotta do whatcha' gotta do.

BTW, hope you got your baby washed! They run so much better afterward, I swear! :)

Thanks so much!

Attachments

·
SSR Believer
602 Posts
Okay... I'm an idiot, I admit it, right here, right now. :banghead

My error is on clear display in the photos of the fuse tap I posted earlier. No where is it written but I assumed (and we all know what that means) that the original 20a fuse was supposed to be put into the fuse tap... using it like an added circuit. Of course not. That's not what this is about. :nodno It's basically a jumper.

The fuse tap is only supposed to have the one, single fuse in it. Sigh.

Once I removed the 20a fuse and plugged it back in... tah da! It works exactly as you and Autoprof said it would.

Soooo, to button it up, here are a couple of photos of the mod I did on the fuse tap. Mostly followed Autoprof's advice but I went ahead and soldered the terminal and put some shrink wrap on it for good measure.

Thanks Autoprof and BlueStreak! Saved me from some back-breaking wire fishing and other miscellaneous hardships. I owe you both! :cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Glad you got it figured out.
Sorry I was out with my wife after the car show today and just had a chance to log back on.

I believe step 2, I mention to install fuse into top slot only. I will edit that to bold face for anyone in the future.

Thanks to @BlueStreak and @moscooter for helping you with this modification.

·
SSR Believer
602 Posts
Glad you got it figured out.
Sorry I was out with my wife after the car show today and just had a chance to log back on.

I believe step 2, I mention to install fuse into top slot only. I will edit that to bold face for anyone in the future.

Thanks to @BlueStreak and @moscooter for helping you with this modification.
Oh, it's there all right... means I have to look at the details though... and, well.

Hope you and the wife had a great time at the car show. Ours is next Saturday. Fingers crossed the sun will make it to the show as well!

Thanks again to you, BlueStreak and to moscooter as well!

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
Oh, it's there all right... means I have to look at the details though... and, well.

Hope you and the wife had a great time at the car show. Ours is next Saturday. Fingers crossed the sun will make it to the show as well!

Thanks again to you, BlueStreak and to moscooter as well!
:surprise:
Sorry I messed you up. My other taps had both slots being used. I forgot this one didn't need the bottom slot filled. Glad you figured it out.:smash

21 - 40 of 48 Posts