Chevy SSR Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Daily Driver
8,777 Posts
Thanks, richsadams, I love learning from your mistakes as it saves me backaches and skinned knuckles.
Now when I make the same mistakes (yeah I probably will) I'll know what's wrong right away. :thumbs

·
SSR Believer
516 Posts
:surprise:

Sorry I messed you up. My other taps had both slots being used. I forgot this one didn't need the bottom slot filled. Glad you figured it out.:smash

Oh, no, my stupidity is not on you at all. I take full responsibility!

Thanks so much for your help. Were it not for my thick skull I would have aced it on the first try. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
SSR Believer
516 Posts
Thanks, richsadams, I love learning from your mistakes as it saves me backaches and skinned knuckles.
Now when I make the same mistakes (yeah I probably will) I'll know what's wrong right away. :thumbs
HA! Well, over time I can safely say that you're in for a treat because I don't plan to stop messing up at this point in my life! :wink2:

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
UPDATE - installation method with better safety margin

@BlueStreak brought to my attention that the way it is wired the fuse tap wire itself might not be protected properly. I looked into this and the fuse tap wire is protected by IGN A fuse under the hood fuse box. Although there is nothing under the fuse box cover that the fuse tap wire could become grounded on and this is probably a little over the top BUT more of a safety margin could be gained by reversering the fuse tap.

Although I don't see how anything could happen with it wired the way it was shown - the additional safety margin is worth the few minutes it would take to reverse the leads. YOU DO NOT NEED TO RUN OUT and do this immediately or even really ever, but you never know what could happen and any additional safety margin is worth the effort.

I am sending to the attention of everyone I know of that responded and performed this modification
@moscooter, @CypherDesign, @xoxoxoBruce, @OldTownCruiser, @Daverobertson, @VI Ken, @06-SSR, @richsadams, @Sweet Tomato, @Dragon2U

Also @Administrator PLEASE edit first post next to text "picture #3" === please see post #45 for update

I removed the 20amp Accessory power outlet fuse in rear fuse box (fuse #46) I did my research and this fuse is used only for these two outlets. The cigarette lighter is a separate fuse and the circuit needs to be power at all times from the source because it also supplies power to operate a scan tool at the Data Link Connector, the power outlet in the rear is also a different circuit! I plugged in the male terminal of the fuse tap to the left side of the #46 fuse slot. You would then insert the fuse tap with the attached wire pointing right (front of truck) for all models except 05-06 automatic if you want power in the accessory and run positions (picture #1) into the empty slot #29. OR in all models insert the fuse tap with the attached wire point to the left (rear of the truck) into empty slot #48 and the outlets will have power in the run position only. (picture #2)

The fuse tap itself should be installed into the empty slot and the male terminal should be installed into the power outlet left side fuse slot.

Picture #1 Show the way to connect the fuse tap on all models except 05-06 automatics if you want power in accessory or Run (this slot is not empty on 05-06 automatics, the TCM fuse is in this slot)

New 03-04 fuse tap.jpg

Picture #2 Shows how to connect ALL model years for power in RUN position only (only option I know of for 05-06 automatics)
Notice This does not completely block the access of any other fuse!

Fuse tap 05 auto.jpg

·
SSR Believer
516 Posts
Wow, great work! (y)

I think I mentioned somewhere that I wanted to power my dash cam via a USB plug in one of the power outlets. Of course I didn't want it to be "hot" when the R wasn't running. This tap worked exactly as advertised.

But in the end I decided to remove the tap and ran the dash cam wires directly to an accessory powered open fuse in the interior fuse block. Cleaner install and less likely it'll get unplugged by accident.

Thanks for your hard work on this (and everything else) @Autoprof, much appreciated! 👏

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
UPDATE - installation method with better safety margin

@BlueStreak brought to my attention that the way it is wired the fuse tap wire itself might not be protected properly. I looked into this and the fuse tap wire is protected by IGN A fuse under the hood fuse box. Although there is nothing under the fuse box cover that the fuse tap wire could become grounded on and this is probably a little over the top BUT more of a safety margin could be gained by reversering the fuse tap.

Although I don't see how anything could happen with it wired the way it was shown - the additional safety margin is worth the few minutes it would take to reverse the leads. YOU DO NOT NEED TO RUN OUT and do this immediately or even really ever, but you never know what could happen and any additional safety margin is worth the effort.

I am sending to the attention of everyone I know of that responded and performed this modification
@moscooter, @CypherDesign, @xoxoxoBruce, @OldTownCruiser, @Daverobertson, @VI Ken, @06-SSR, @richsadams, @Sweet Tomato, @Dragon2U

Also @Administrator PLEASE edit first post next to text "picture #3" === please see post #45 for update

I removed the 20amp Accessory power outlet fuse in rear fuse box (fuse #46) I did my research and this fuse is used only for these two outlets. The cigarette lighter is a separate fuse and the circuit needs to be power at all times from the source because it also supplies power to operate a scan tool at the Data Link Connector, the power outlet in the rear is also a different circuit! I plugged in the male terminal of the fuse tap to the left side of the #46 fuse slot. You would then insert the fuse tap with the attached wire pointing right (front of truck) for all models except 05-06 automatic if you want power in the accessory and run positions (picture #1) into the empty slot #29. OR in all models insert the fuse tap with the attached wire point to the left (rear of the truck) into empty slot #48 and the outlets will have power in the run position only. (picture #2)

The fuse tap itself should be installed into the empty slot and the male terminal should be installed into the power outlet left side fuse slot.

Picture #1 Show the way to connect the fuse tap on all models except 05-06 automatics if you want power in accessory or Run (this slot is not empty on 05-06 automatics, the TCM fuse is in this slot)

View attachment 567361

Picture #2 Shows how to connect ALL model years for power in RUN position only (only option I know of for 05-06 automatics)
Notice This does not completely block the access of any other fuse!

View attachment 567362
:unsure:

" YOU DO NOT NEED TO RUN OUT and do this immediately or even really ever, "

I'm in the above camp, gonna take my chances cause cannot come up with a scenario that would evolve from the initial wiring change.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I use a dash cam and always have to remember to plug it in or out. This information will solve the problem. Thanks proof!!!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts