Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I bought some oil and steering fluid from the parts guy, I walk over to service.

"I have a slow leak in one of the tires of my SSR."

The service girl's eys's got real big "You mean that little truck?"

Me: "It's a big truck!"

All three service people start shaking their head no. "We can't do that! No, you'll have to take it somewhere else!"

They looked really scared. :lol

Eventually one of them gave me the address of a tire store.

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
Its not Hard

Most service depts get scared the moment you drive up in the SSR :lol

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Service guy

I haven't seen my service guy in over a month! He probably thinks that I'm dead.
I guess I'll go put a smile on his face (after scaring by showing up) and ask for an oil change.

·
0 Posts
I had a nail in my rear tire. Took it to Wal-marts. They did an awsome job, but the service techs were scare to move it. If you have tire work, they recomment breaking the tire bead then grabing the inside edge of the back of the rim to pull the tire, otherwise, if they use the normal tire dismount method of grabbing the inside center of the rim, it will damage the surface of the inside severly... Be careful...

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
big-daddy said:
Yeah, I can think of a couple of salemen that disappear when my SSR shows up...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Gosh, I hate hearing these stories about Chevy Service Depts. I"m glad my store handles these things better. Not even being biased because I have had horror stories working with service depts. in my years of driving but I suppose working for a dealer that has been here 70 years, you gotta figure you learn something. Sure am Glad and wish y'all could come down here for service. :)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If anyone wants to come up to northern Michigan I will be happy to service your SSRs. :seeya

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Service

wingrider said:
If anyone wants to come up to northern Michigan I will be happy to service your SSRs. :seeya

I may just be doing that! I'm having an issue now with my temp gauge jumping from 215 to 250. Not even standing still in heavy traffic. I noticed it ever since I got back from Houghton Lake this past weekend. I am extremely unhappy with my service in Romeo and don't plan on returning.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
The Chevrolet Service Department is so bad here (Frankfort,KY) that I won't even take my son's 89 S-10 to them. They would break something or say they couldn't fix it because it needed parts.Then I would wait for monthes for them to call when the "parts" came in. Funny thing is,they never seem to get the parts in. :confused
I'll take the SSR to Louisville (50 miles away) to get it worked on if needed.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I am so lucky here in Corona to have Dale at Tire Pros. As everyone around here know, I have a screw loose.....well it showed up in my rear tire today.

Man - you should see what Dale did for Jesse's truck. If I would only pop for the $25 to become a supporting member, I would upload the picture Jesse sent me.

Joe Davis
StepPrinting.com

·
Registered
160 Posts
big-daddy said:
They sure do - Then I guess it is a Chevy technicians nature to fear what they don't understand :lol

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't get it. You'd think that GM would have the best service departments in the country. You've got millions of kids who grow up working on GM vehicles. You have services departments maybe a half century old. And you have a soft automobile market, meaning every dealership must be trying to rely on the service department for sales.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,105 Posts
One of my dad's friends has had a Chevrolet dealership for many years. He shared that a traditional dealership relies on the Service department for paying all of the overhead bills. The sales department is what provides the profit for the dealership. If that is true, a poor sevice department will put a dealership out of business more surely than slow sales. It will be a slow and painful death, with vocal unhappy customers telling their stories to everyone they know. Kinda like this......

Carpe Diem,

Mike

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
dougnc said:
I don't get it. You'd think that GM would have the best service departments in the country. You've got millions of kids who grow up working on GM vehicles. You have services departments maybe a half century old. And you have a soft automobile market, meaning every dealership must be trying to rely on the service department for sales.
Ditto :agree

RickSSR :cool

·
Registered
46 Posts
IMHO the problem here is that all of the new vehicles are just too complicated for any normal human being to understand without hours of training..... and weekly reviews. You might as well pull in with the space shuttle and ask for service......

:cool

·
Registered
178 Posts
One thing you must remember is that while GM has guidelines and such. Each Chevy Dealer is an independently owned operation. Much like McDonald's where the products are all the same go to one on oneside of town and get one kinda service in a dirty dining room go to the other side of town to smiley friendly faces and an immaculate dining room.

These service problems have more to do with the management of a service department more so than just the technicians. GM holds CC TV training with their own program schedule made available to all GM dealers but if a dealer doesn't participate they don't learn. I know with my dealers dept, it's not uncommon to see seeveral mechanics at a time going to these seminars (CCTV) and learning etc. We also have put a couple of our technicians through th GM World Class mechanic certification which means flying them around the country for seminars and testing. There are only 50+ certified World Class GM mechanics in the country and we have 2 soon to be 3 of them. So ALL dealerships are not EQUAL. Best you can do is try your best in your town or surrounding areas to find a great service department.

Phoenix market also has 13 Chevy dealers in a 25 mile radius of Downtown Phoenix which means the competition is fierce. Sorry to hear all the troubles you all have but also keep in mind you're driving a vehicle with roughly 20,000 moving parts and computer chips etc which is a limited run specialty car.

my .02

Coz :reddevil

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Well said cos, In the 30 years I have been a tech I have worked at dealers that are big on training and some that do just enough to get by, and the same goes for techs. I need only two more assesments for my world class rating. I don't wait for the dealer to ask me to go to any training I keep up my training myself, If you fall behind it's harder to keep up with the ever changing technology.
Alot of tech don't want to work on anything new because due to the learnig curve you will lose money the first few times you work on it, but once you get comfertable with it you can make money on it. So if you find a good tech stick with him or her.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Rossi of Washington NJ........
The only thing that even made them pause "Where the ---- is the battery?"
As for tire work they have all of the right equipment on sight :yesnod :yesnod

I was thinking of a MINI but I know how good this service dpt. is so........SSR
PocoToro

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Blue6T9 said:
IMHO the problem here is that all of the new vehicles are just too complicated for any normal human being to understand without hours of training..... and weekly reviews. You might as well pull in with the space shuttle and ask for service......

:cool
But doesn't GM pay the service department for warrenty work? Jebus, one SSR could support 3 techs!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts