Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live in calif. near the foothills and we got snow in the mountains.
I would love to take a run up to Big Bear in my SSR. The problem is, my :confused concern for
ice on the road and of course the snow. Can we use chains?, I thought I read that the clearance was to tight between the tires and the fenders. If this is true, then what? I've seen cars loose in black ice and I fish tailed on the side of a mountain my self once, scared the heck out of me. When you start sliding on the edge of a mountain, you become a believer. Tony

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
There is no chain clearance for the SSR rear tires. There is some snow traction built into the tires, but they are not "snow tires". I have driven the SSR in snow and slippery conditions and you can be mobile, but I would not recommend spending a lot of time on ice. You would need narrower rear wheels and tires to be able to add chains and go in really adverse conditions.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Been there, done that

Tony said:
We live in calif. near the foothills and we got snow in the mountains.
I would love to take a run up to Big Bear in my SSR. The problem is, my :confused concern for
ice on the road and of course the snow. Can we use chains?, I thought I read that the clearance was to tight between the tires and the fenders. If this is true, then what? I've seen cars loose in black ice and I fish tailed on the side of a mountain my self once, scared the heck out of me. When you start sliding on the edge of a mountain, you become a believer. Tony
Hi Tony, the wife and I drove up to Big Bear last Friday. That was my first time up there. It was a great trip, lots of curves but we didn't hit any snow or ice. Of course we had that little storm this week so there may be snow now. Maybe next time we can do it together.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I store mine for the winter. Don't need any salt on it but I recommend getting yourself some Bridgestone Blizzak tires. I drive my BMW in the winter which is known to be terrible in snow. With these tires, I pass every SUV on the road with ease. Snow tires are the name of the game.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts